Why become a member? ×

Starting DB?

JonBarnes

Hi, rent one if you can, you'd have to google it, or buy a good quality second bass that you won't lose much money on if you decide to sell on.

tuition: Ed Friedland's Jazz double bass DVD is great for learning bass technique, from how to hold it right through to jamming with a band. All very practical stuff. I used that and of course the amazing videos and lessons that Geoff Chalmers creates. I think that can easily get you started, and you can maybe consider a teacher in the future to fine tune Your technique if required.

good luck!

Good advice about renting and resources in the previous post.There are many online resources that cover just about everything about DB at different levels although a teacher would be a good idea if you can find one so you can get off to a good start and have someone to answer your questions.

For a variety of reasons(space and transport  and the Canadian climate) I went to an EUB instead of DB and got a Stagg and then moved on to a Yamaha SLB 200 and I love it.It is not a DB but it feels like one and can sound pretty close to an acoustic(save the discussion/arguments re DB vs EUB).I use my EB on a few songs but play only EUB  on most gigs with my jazz quartet and septet.

As many have said on here it is an instrument that just gets to you and you feel like a "real" bass player when you start to play.It is harder physically to play than an EB but it is so much fun that you want to work at it all the time, and it does take work...and then there is the bow to work with too!I started upright in my late 60's and now I'm almost 72 and if I can do it anyone can.

Go for it, and if you can borrow or rent first that would be the best route that will start you down the slippery slope of long necked fretless basses and into a whole new world.

How about some more encouragement from other upright players...let's go guys, he's ready to join the club.

On 18/12/2017 at 19:25, JonBarnes said:

Hi All,

I am thinking of starting to learn DB but I don't know anyone who teaches it here near Swansea and I don't want to buy an instrument on the chance I don't like it/cant play it!!

Any suggestions/pointers?

Ta muchly in advance....

What type of music are you interested in playing?