Why become a member? Read more... ×
gjamer

best value DAW

As a completely upside-down version of the idea... If you like Garageband: I got fed up with the amount of faffery trying to get things to work in windows and bought a reconditioned 8-9 year old macbook for £200.  You have to download garageband, but that's easy enough and then it 'just works'...

'course, i do now use Reaper on it for recording, but hey..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Regarding Ableton... ...

... @Leonard Smalls of this parish uses it to great effect, for example.

...I have the ‘light’ version myself and it’s very good indeed - and very different to other DAWs (in a good/interesting way). 

...It’s the world’s most popular DAW for a reason.

Thanks Skol. Those are 3 VERY positive comments about Ableton. 

The other BIG point that a 'trusted' fellow BCer made recently was about "Session View" which he felt was a standout feature: "Workflows change slightly from one DAW to another but they all basically work in the same linear left to right fashion. The session view does away with that linear mindset in a way that took my creativity to a whole new level!"

So I'm seriously tempted, particularly as the only negative point about Ableton (other than that its full fat version is a lot more expensive than e.g. Reaper) is that that it is 'perceived' to be more geared to live electronica. 

Time to get off the pot, methinks :) 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So I'm seriously tempted, particularly as the only negative point about Ableton (other than that its full fat version is a lot more expensive than e.g. Reaper) is that that it is 'perceived' to be more geared to live electronica. 

Time to get off the pot, methinks :) 

Demo it first... always try the demo before taking the plunge! 😉 I think the Ableton demo is 30 days last time I checked, which should be sufficient time for you to love it or loathe it. YouTube tutorials are ideal for learning the basics.

4 hours ago, operative451 said:

As a completely upside-down version of the idea... Garageband

Another great suggestion! GarageBand is often overlooked a being “a bit of a toy”, but it’s a really good DAW: one of the easiest to use and capable of producing music as good as any other (just with limited functionality).

If you own a Mac it’s defintely the place to start and offers an easy progression to Logic is you need more tools at your disposal.

Quite honestly, I don’t think Ableton is for you, you would be paying more money for a huge amount of features that you won’t need. As said, whilst it’s more than capable as acting as a ‘normal’ DAW, it’s very much geared towards one-shot (sample) based music, loops, electronic music and live use. As mentioned, you’d likely is it in Session view, which in itself is a little odd at first as it’s the mirror of other DAWs.

If you’re a Mac user, GarageBand is free, Cubase LE has a free 30 day trial, as does Ableton Live Lite. Reaper is free indefinitely with pop-ups reminding you to purchase a license (unless that’s changed recently), because it’s good to support what you use.

So there’s no need to make a commitment before you’ve tried most of them IMO

Si

I agree with Sibob about Ableton probably not being the best value for your needs.  Though I have a friend who doesn't play electronic stuff & uses Ableton as a DAW with great results.

I used to use Cubase, Reason & Reaper.  All great in their own ways.  I'm now a Logic user & love it, but I'm tempted to give Ableton a blast.