Why become a member? ×

Jamerson Analysed - At Last (I Found A Love)

chrisaxe

Hi,

I stumbled upon an amazing Jamerson bass break on the 1968 Marvin Gaye track ‘At Last (I Found A Love)’ and decided to look at it in closer detail on my Jamerson Analysed blog. 

Full transcription, breakdown of the line and video available at http://www.jamersonanalysed.co.uk/2017/12/at-last-i-found-love-marvin-gaye-1968.html

Enjoy!

Chris

Edited by chrisaxe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
23 hours ago, chris_b said:

Nice bass playing, but is that Jamerson?

Jamerson was renown for his technique of changing his lines in every verse. By 1968 I wouldn't expect to hear him playing the same line throughout the song.

Hi - thanks for your comment. I believe that it is Jamerson, yes. The track is from the Marvin Gaye album 'Heard It Through The Grapevine'... the album displays a wide variety in his playing, with some of the tracks showing Jamerson 'changing his lines in every verse', and other more repetitive figures - such as on this track. Even his bassline on the title track is relatively simple when compared to some of his busier work, but it is definitely still Jamerson.

10 hours ago, Heathy said:

This is great, thanks for posting.

I have recently decided to study Jamerson's style, so this couldn't have come at a better time for me.

No problem! I hope you find it useful. 

There’s loads more on the blog, so check it out!

Chris. 

• 3 months later...