Why become a member? ×

Remove varnish from original finish.

mart3442

My '77 P Bass has a layer of orange(ish) varnish brush applied over the original headstock finish. Obviously the previous owners attempt to "relic" the headstock. Any ideas of the best way to remove this without damaging the original finish, and crucially,  the factory decal and serial number?                                               Cheers, Mart.

The polyester resists thinners well, the headstock surface and decal will not, I suspect they are fixed with nitro lacquer.  If you find out how to deal with this situation I would like to know (having a similar situation to resolve).  This looks useful  https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2013/03/13/spraying-the-neck/   I am considering paying someone to sort mine out.

Yes, Acetone should be fine as long as the headstock isn't Nitro. I believe there was a period in the 70s when Fender were finishing their necks in Poly but using Nitro over the decal as it was more compatible with the decal than the poly at the time. Not entirely sure when that stopped but as yours is late 70s, it's probably just poly. Regardless though, as you said go carefully....start in an inconspicuous area with a tiny bit of acetone and see how it goes.

Edited by Manton Customs

13 hours ago, Manton Customs said:

I believe there was a period in the 70s when Fender were finishing their necks in Poly but using Nitro over the decal.

That would explain why some '70's Fenders have that dirty orange headstock, whilst some are so clean, they could have been made yesterday...

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I'll report back from the lab presently.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an update, with pics to follow, I've used acetone nail varnish swabs to remove the offending varnish from all the headstock, bar where the decal is. I'm treating this area very carefully, with a light application, and no rubbing. I'm hoping I'll be able to remove most or all of the varnish without damaging the decal.......

Edited by mart3442