Why become a member? ×

Big Monster Valve Amps - what’s the king of them all?

Sean

I personally think that a 400 watt valve amp is beyond overkill. So much fun though. I played a gig with a VBA and it was just ridiculously powerful. I ended up buying a Trace Elliot V6 years later. I'm not sure if it actually 'is' 400 watts, but it is really loud and has loads of clean headroom. You have run it at silly levels to get any kind of grit. It is not that kind of amp.

21 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I personally think that a 400 watt valve amp is beyond overkill. So much fun though. I played a gig with a VBA and it was just ridiculously powerful. I ended up buying a Trace Elliot V6 years later. I'm not sure if it actually 'is' 400 watts, but it is really loud and has loads of clean headroom. You have run it at silly levels to get any kind of grit. It is not that kind of amp.

they do about 220watts if you leave the ecc83 in as the phase splitter, if you swap it out for an 81 they hit around 300. v6 that is.

I really want another v6

14 hours ago, aitkenaudio said:

they do about 220watts if you leave the ecc83 in as the phase splitter, if you swap it out for an 81 they hit around 300. v6 that is.

I really want another v6

Interesting. That solves one potential issue. The other issue with the V6 is that it runs on 2 ohm and 4 ohm tap only. I have read things that it is safe to run it with an 8 ohm cab, however that goes against everything I have read about valve amps. There is very little info to be had on the V6, other than they are big heavy and loud!

5 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Interesting. That solves one potential issue. The other issue with the V6 is that it runs on 2 ohm and 4 ohm tap only. I have read things that it is safe to run it with an 8 ohm cab, however that goes against everything I have read about valve amps. There is very little info to be had on the V6, other than they are big heavy and loud!

impedance mismatches get more and more dangerous as you get to higher voltages.