Why become a member? ×

Medium Scale Ash Bodied Bass

Jabba_the_gut

I have also completed the final sanding of the body and have started apply the oil finish. Really pleased how this is looking - the ash takes the oil really nicely. I do like the grain on this wood and the way it almost matches where the two halves are joined down the middle of the body.

YuD6mlR.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Lord above! Beautiful!

I always view these threads with a mixture of fascination and terror. All you guys who build are impressively talented

I completely agree they are scarily good!!! I seen builds on here that are better than some work by professional luthiers!!! 

Just got to try an save up so I can try and start my scratch build and hope it turns out half as good as these :D

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I have also completed the final sanding of the body and have started apply the oil finish. Really pleased how this is looking - the ash takes the oil really nicely. I do like the grain on this wood and the way it almost matches where the two halves are joined down the middle of the body.

YuD6mlR.jpg

My goodness, Jez, that's a tight join...    

I agree - the wood with that finish is just right. :)

Andy

3 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Oh, and if I wasn't already feeling completely inadequate...

5B78bhnl.jpg

...matching up the grain lines at the back, where no one's going to see it anyway, is just taking the p*ss! xD

Ha ha! The funny thing being that was a lucky accident! Er, I mean I carefully selected the two pieces and precisely aligned the grain.....

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

YuD6mlR.jpg

That really is pleasing to the eye.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for all the comments. Progress on this has been slow recently - between work and the garage being so cold getting some of the remaining jobs done is taking a while!!

The fretboard had been radiused and the frets have been installed. I filled the gaps at the end of the fret slots with the sanding dust from the fretboard and some epoxy and I've started dressing the fret ends but this isn't finished yet.

LQmLbWh.jpg

I've also shielded the control cavity and soldered the pots and jack; the pickup is yet to be installed. I made battery holder for the cavity and fitted this with a couple of screws - I'm quite pleased how this has turned out.

4Q5SVfy.jpg?1

I've also fitted the string anchors which was one of the last fiddly jobs. Hopefully I'll get to do some more work on it next Friday - I'd like to get it assembled and check the neck angles etc. before I complete the finish.

Cheers

Jez

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers for all the comments. Progress on this has been slow recently - between work and the garage being so cold getting some of the remaining jobs done is taking a while!!

The fretboard had been radiused and the frets have been installed. I filled the gaps at the end of the fret slots with the sanding dust from the fretboard and some epoxy and I've started dressing the fret ends but this isn't finished yet.

LQmLbWh.jpg

I've also shielded the control cavity and soldered the pots and jack; the pickup is yet to be installed. I made battery holder for the cavity and fitted this with a couple of screws - I'm quite pleased how this has turned out.

4Q5SVfy.jpg?1

I've also fitted the string anchors which was one of the last fiddly jobs. Hopefully I'll get to do some more work on it next Friday - I'd like to get it assembled and check the neck angles etc. before I complete the finish.

Cheers

Jez

I like that battery holder, Jez.

It looks simple but effective.  The commercial offerings are often neither.

23 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like that battery holder, Jez.

It looks simple but effective.  The commercial offerings are often neither.

Cheers Andy. I'm quite pleased with it - does the job and is quite tidy ( even though it won't be seen!).

22 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm impressed with the copper foil lining.  It looks like you've found some sheet foil.  Was that self adhesive as bought or did you use a glue?

Yep, just self adhesive sheet. You can get this stuff off eBay and it comes in normal and thick sheets; I prefer the thicker stuff as I find it nicer to work with.

Cheers

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2018 at 21:05, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers Andy. I'm quite pleased with it - does the job and is quite tidy ( even though it won't be seen!).

Yep, just self adhesive sheet. You can get this stuff off eBay and it comes in normal and thick sheets; I prefer the thicker stuff as I find it nicer to work with.

Cheers

When i needed to shield a bass pre  cavity many moons ago, i found copper foil , with sticky backing, on a roll, just like seloptape. Mind you, it was quite thin, which may not be your bag. Very convenient though

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to get a few things done though. I've put the bass together to make sure everything fits, the neck angle is correct etc. Needs a little shim but otherwise went together nicely. Couldn't resist trying it and very pleased with how it plays and sounds. Shame I have to take it to pieces again to finish the frets and build a shim but nearly there!!!

Not the best photos, but here's how its looks:

CT2QJ7n.jpg?1

ZaDed0M.jpg

lF9aMMt.jpg

Still deciding on a string retainer:

pqdf0D3.jpg

And with its sister fretless bass (which also need finishing off - preamp needs fitting)

O1MTDlE.jpg

Right, I'm off to take it to bits and finish those frets!! Must get this finished for the SW Bass Bash!!

Cheers

Jez

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Thanks for the prelim view Jez.

Can you put some images up of your shimming work please?  I am assuming that you will do it better than some of the shim jobs I've seen or been expected to accept.

I will try to remember to take photos when I do it!!

What I don't want is a bit of card or similar just sitting in the neck pocket as a shim - that doesn't feel properly finished to me. I'll use a piece or two of veneer to work out how much of an angle I need to introduce. Then I'll glue a couple of pieces of veneer together to get the same thickness. The veneer pieces are bigger than the neck pocket and are sanded into a wedge, cut it to the size of the neck pocket then glued it in place. I'll use the a veneer made from the body wood so the shim matches (even though it won't be seen!).

I need to start looking at introducing a slight angle in the neck pocket when I route it - I'll try that on the next build!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I will try to remember to take photos when I do it!!

What I don't want is a bit of card or similar just sitting in the neck pocket as a shim - that doesn't feel properly finished to me. I'll use a piece or two of veneer to work out how much of an angle I need to introduce. Then I'll glue a couple of pieces of veneer together to get the same thickness. The veneer pieces are bigger than the neck pocket and are sanded into a wedge, cut it to the size of the neck pocket then glued it in place. I'll use the a veneer made from the body wood so the shim matches (even though it won't be seen!).

I need to start looking at introducing a slight angle in the neck pocket when I route it - I'll try that on the next build!

Good man!

It's how I'd want to do it myself only I had a hard time deciding if I could successfully taper something that thin.  I'd considered tapering the floor of the neck pocket too as it would sort things a bit better than shimming.  Alternatively I could pocket the bridge into the body by a few thou.

I hope you enjoy the Bash.  The grain matching between your fretboard and body has blown me away!

Taped the neck up and have been working n the frets. I've used a beam to level the frets (needed very little work - which was pleasing)., then I've re-crowned them and polished the ends.

3TEnNNR.jpg

Time to remove the tape and start assembling this now. The only thing left to make is a small plat to go under the string retainer just to raise it a little.

I'll do this this afternoon while Leicester beat Chelsea in the FA Cup......

• Haha 1