Why become a member? ×

Medium Scale Ash Bodied Bass

Jabba_the_gut

I've decided to shelve my planned headless bass whilst I have a bit of a think....

So instead, I've decided to build a medium scale solid bodied bass. I'm going to use the same body shape I used for a recent semi-hollow build and the same scale neck. I have a piece of ash I got from a local tree surgeon a while back which I'm using for the body. The ash is quite a good size and I've had it thicknessed; there are a few faults in the timber but I'll be able to work around those.

I've got a piece of bocote for the fretboard and a piece of maple for the neck. Pickup wise, I have a new-old-stock Schaller active p-bass pickup and some Schaller machine heads. I'm not settled on the bridge yet but have a few ideas.

4WM9RDR.jpg

Hi Rubis. I did consider a Schaller bridge - I have a spare 2000 model but I'd like to use a two piece type. Ideally I'd like this bass to look similar to the semi hollow one I made so I'm looking for something quite specific, will possibly an ETS part.

Still looking at options at the moment.....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

This is one option I'm considering but can't decide if it looks 'cheap'.

0iW36e5.jpg

The two edges of the body were planed and a hole drilled for where I want the pickup cable to run - sometimes it is easier to do that at this point rather than trying to use a long drill later on in the build (just have to record where the hole is so cavities can be routed in the right place later!!).

I then joined the two halves using three clamps to hold the body together and two g-clamps to keep it aligned. Even at this point, I'm quite pleased with how this ash looks. The piece I bought from the tree surgeon is plenty big enough to make another body from and, if anything, the piece I have left is a bit nicer than this.

7PUZVoI.jpg

This piece has some kind of 'feature' in it but that will be well out of the way when the body shape is cut.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 1

Good to see yet another build on the go, Jez.

I stole that 3-sashclamp trick from last time you posted it.  Great tip :)

18 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I have a piece of ash I got from a local tree surgeon a while back which I'm using for the body.

And that's got me thinking.  I'm on nodding terms with a few hospital surgeons.  Hmmm....bone acoustic saddles?

As time goes on I'm erring towards simplistic and minimalist designs. I can't remember where I saw (one of the builds here probably) it but a strung through body with a wooden acoustic style bridge really caught my eye. You've plenty of change from the piece of wood you have which could be used.

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Oooops...it was one of you own builds..

ttFW6pk.jpg

Hi Mick. This bass will be the same shape as this spalted beech one but will be a little heavier!!

The two pieces of ash weighed about 5.7kg but should drop by a couple of kg when the body shape is cut. With the body halves joined, I checked them front and back and they needed just a little sanding to make them completely flat. With that complete the body shape was rough cut.

LkUJSIL.jpg

I used the template to trim around the shape and make everything look a bit neater!!

2jYHNRz.jpg

Next task was to cut the pocket for the pickup. I've previously made a template for the main body of the pickup and it worked well last time. There does seem to be a fair bit of difference when it comes to the size of the mounting lugs so I'll make another template that will suit this particular pickup and add that to the template library.

wYsaNt6.jpg

With the pickup routed, the hole drilled for the wires can now be seen (and has ended up in the right place thankfully!). Next task is to route the control cavity and check that the hole made it all the way to that. I don't have suitable templates for this so they need to be made first. Two templates are required; one for the actual cavity with space for the cover screws, and one for the actual cover shape.

I used some more MDF to make a couple of templates for the control cavity and cover. I made a bit of a pigs ear of the cavity template and needed to build back up a section where I got a bit carried away with the router - doh!! It looks a bit untidy where layers of veneer have been added and sanded back but this is absolutely fine for a template.

4jqrTsW.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rumple said:

Looking good so far, I'm a big fan of medium scale basses.

I have to say I'm starting to get into them too. I made a short scale bass with a neck using the offcuts from a long scale bass neck I was making. It was only short scale as that was how long the wood was but it turned out really well and is lovely to play. I also made a medium scale fretless bass using the same body and neck templates I'm using for this bass and that is also really nice to play. 

I will be using the offcuts from the neck on this bass to make another short scale - that'll be another project for next year!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this fretted bass turns out.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut