Why become a member? ×

Vintage Ernie Ball Music Man
£1100

Lucychap

1996 Ernie Ball Music Man with case. Selling off my dads collection. This was one of his favourites to play. It’s imported from America and the serial number can be supplied upon request. I don’t know a huge amount it but welcome to view and test. 

2825579D-39E4-4811-91D9-5CDA11F5FDA8.jpeg

4C47E968-A622-4A70-9AD0-6B3DA842E5AF.jpeg

099EBEFC-CB65-4161-9F37-472A870BA9D0.jpeg

0A2E41AB-3DF3-447D-BBE3-0258A01D45AF.jpeg

BC1B78C1-83B5-439A-9F92-556393404134.jpeg

Edited by Lucychap
Added manufacturing date more pictures

Hi, I’m not a Bass player. As I advised I’m selling off my Dads Bass collection. I have had it valued by several people who have given me the description I’ve written. It has Music Man engraved on it. Please don’t make negative comments I just want to sell this as it’s very difficult having it my house with my dad no longer around. 

Sorry I ment to say I’ve had a few negative messages. I’ve just joined this today in the hope I can sell it. I had 14 Basses to sell. I’ve had it valued by several people and told it’s definately a vintage. I appreciate any feedback but I also need to try and sell it. It has a code on of B0311 it also has another number. If anyone can shed any more light on it that would be great.

2 minutes ago, Lucychap said:

Sorry I ment to say I’ve had a few negative messages. I’ve just joined this today in the hope I can sell it. I had 14 Basses to sell. I’ve had it valued by several people and told it’s definately a vintage. I appreciate any feedback but I also need to try and sell it. It has a code on of B0311 it also has another number. If anyone can shed any more light on it that would be great.

You could find out the exact year of production by removing the neck and checking the stamp in the pocket

12 minutes ago, Lucychap said:

If you give me a shout I’ll help you with the other items if you want?

5 hours ago, Lucychap said:

1996 Ernie Ball Music Man with case. Selling off my dads collection. This was one of his favourites to play. It’s imported from America and the serial number can be supplied upon request. I don’t know a huge amount it but welcome to view and test. 

2825579D-39E4-4811-91D9-5CDA11F5FDA8.jpeg

4C47E968-A622-4A70-9AD0-6B3DA842E5AF.jpeg

That's a very nice bass, a USA built Musicman Sterling. Has a ceramic pick up and series/parallel/single coil switch. The neck is narrower than a Stingray and the body slightly smaller.

If you join the EBMM bass forum and post the serial number detail here, they will give you the exact date of birth, specifications and where it was shipped to from the factory. 

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/1254-music-serial-database-872.html

Conversely you could email their Customer Services for the same information. 

Be careful to align the neck correctly when you put it back on. 

To correct the bridge info above, the Sterling bass started to be offered from 1993 with the same bridge as the Stingray (called the Flea bridge at the time as it incorporated modifications from the previous version) with  mute assembly allowing damping of each individual string. From around 1995 the bridges provided on both models were the same but without the mute assembly, the mountings for it covered. The first bass with the shortened bridge, like the Stingray 5 bridge was the 1996 20th Anniversary Stingray and this bridge started production on Sterlings and Stingrays from sometime in 1996 after that. It generally coincided with EBMM's production from a new (current) factory.

This Sterling must be an early example with that bridge from the new factory.

Good luck with the sale - it may be worth you showing a picture of the rear of the neck as many basses from that period have highly figured necks so are quite sought after.