Why become a member? ×

PJ Basses Yamaha vs Spector (or something else?)

Al Krow

Guys,

I recently traded my Yamaha BB425 for a lovely Ibby 6 string and whilst I'm loving the 6 string, there is definitely something missing in my bass line up with the Yammy gone and no P-Basses in its place.

So I was thinking of getting a replacement Yammy in 2018. However, I'm also now thinking of a Spector Euro 4Lx (or possibly a 5Lx). I'm pretty familiar with Yammys - they're an excellent bass and you get a lot for your money. The Spectors are a level up in terms of price, so I'm planning to buy second hand (I've seen a few come up in the FS section recently). The Spector shape is pretty similar to Warwick (who nicked their design!) so that's also familiar to me: I'd actually say the Yammy probably edges it for me in terms of 'balance' - Warwicks, and I assume Spectors are the same, are a bit more neck heavy, but nothing I can't live with.

If the Yammy has one weak spot for me it's the bridge J pup on the 2 series. However its neck Ps and P/J setting are great.

With the Spector I've heard some folk have doubts about the EMJ pups and the preamp (why?) and apparently they can be a little more difficult to move on in the UK as they're a less well known / widely used brand. I do love the neck through design of the Euro Lx and Yamaha don't offer anything comparable on that front.

I'm hoping that for the extra ££s the Spector will be a cut above the Yamaha, but I'm not sure that's true?

I was hoping to A/B them at PMT but I see that PMT no longer seem to be stocking them in store - so I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two basses, particularly if you've owned them both?

I'm not 100% wedded to either a Yammy or a Spector so if I should be casting my neck wider for a really good P/J bass - I'm open to suggestions, although these two brands are at top of my list for now.

Cheers

AK

They may both be PJ's, but comparing Spector and Yamaha is not comparing like with like. Both great basses in their own way, but very different, in terms of construction, overall feel and tone. The Yamaha will give you more of a traditional P Bass sound and feel. The Spector NS2 is much more of a modern hifi tone and a unique ergonomic, feel due to the curved, compact body. Not necessarily neck-heavy but definitely a different balance to a conventional Fender- style bass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

They may both be PJ's, but comparing Spector and Yamaha is not comparing like with like. Both great basses in their own way, but very different, in terms of construction, overall feel and tone. The Yamaha will give you more of a traditional P Bass sound and feel. The Spector NS2 is much more of a modern hifi tone and a unique ergonomic, feel due to the curved, compact body. Not necessarily neck-heavy but definitely a different balance to a conventional Fender- style bass.

That's (very) helpful, thanks.  I am looking for something with a P-bass punch so if the Spector, despite its P pup configuration, is not delivering that then that is going to be quite a key piece of the equation.

Lol! Well that is a 180 degree different viewpoint to what I took away from Misdee's comment above, so appreciate you correcting my misunderstanding! Clearly I was too quick to dismiss Spectors as being other than a great P Bass - if your experience is that they are then that is good to hear.

1 hour ago, cetera said:

The Spector will provide you with a 'P bass on steroids' punch... and more....! Plus the reverse P means a tighter, piano-like tone on the E string :-)

That sounds very good to me.

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

There are Spectors in virtually every price range - I've seen some entry models selling for under £200. I have a Korean built neck through which is as playable as the two Euros I had - couldn't see the difference so I kept this and sold the other two. 

Monsieur Le Greek, I know you're a longstanding fan of Spectors, which is great experience for me to draw on but are you really saying that there is little difference between the entry level models and the Euros? I've found with Warwicks there is quite a gulf between the entry level Rockbasses and the German made Warwicks not least in the quality of the woods used, the pups, pots and preamps (i.e. pretty much the whole thing!) which meant I found the Rockbass sounded muddy and lame in comparison to the better quality German built models which 'sang'. 

Been doing a bit of 'YouTube' research and this seemed not a bad clip. For those of you who have Spectors does the clip reflect the Spector tone fairly (i.e. a darned sight closer to a P Bass than a Musicman but 'brighter' and a little less rounded than a Fender P Bass)?

Probably a bit of a safe choice, but I'm very happy with my Fender Precision Deluxe Special.

It's switchable between active and passive so you can get the classic p bass tone as well as a lot more 'modern' options. The only possible down side is that there's no passive tone control, but you can get a lot of variation by panning between the p and j pickups.

Having said all that, I'd also be very interested in trying one of the new Yamaha 734s.

• Like 1

Monsieur Le Greek, I know you're a longstanding fan of Spectors, which is great experience for me to draw on but are you really saying that there is little difference between the entry level models and the Euros? I've found with Warwicks there is quite a gulf between the entry level Rockbasses and the German made Warwicks not least in the quality of the woods used, the pups, pots and preamps (i.e. pretty much the whole thing!) which meant I found the Rockbass sounded muddy and lame in comparison to the better quality German built models which 'sang'. 

From my experience even the entry models (Performers for less than £200!!) are good basses and worth owning. The running theme throughout the range is build quality and electronics which most would be happy with. Though some change the preamp and pick ups in the basic models the factory stuff is more than adequate.

No need to rush out and buy a replacement pre/pups - but don't let that stop you if you really want to.

I love Spector basses me, and am currently suffering quite badly from Spector Euro GAS, but if there's a P Bass-shaped hole in your arsenal, would not a P Bass fill it to best effect? Then the question becomes 'which P Bass?', to which I would answer, 'a Road Worn Precision' (favourite) or 'a 50s Classic Precision' (second choice). Don't fret (ha) about them being Mexican, they're as good as anything the USA can produce.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Very fair challenge.

Ok please spill the beans on why you too have Spector Euro GAS: a problem shared is a problem aired :) 

I'm kinda wondering whether I can get pretty bloo*dy close to that coveted P Bass sound with a Spector and I can kill two birds with one neck through axe? 

I certainly know that I can with the Yammy and that may well be tried and tested better route for me to go down. As @Cato mentioned above the new 734 / 5 seem to be hitting the mark and if I'm venturing into Euro Lx territory then the 'fair' head to head is with the new BB Pro range

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...please spill the beans on why you too have Spector Euro GAS: a problem shared is a problem aired... 

Had a Euro4 a while back, loved everything about it except for the colour (dark cherry burst) so I moved it on. What I should have done was pay to have it professionally refinished.

55 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I may be missing something but is there any reason why you aren't looking to a Precision bass to give you your missing P Bass-ness?  Occam's Razor may well apply.

Ok confession time: Fenders are like everywhere; I've got a Sandberg TM4 which is essentially a lovely German hand finished Fender J and which has been my mainstay bass for the past 3 years. Maybe I'm being completely indulgent and I know this is purely personal but I'm looking for something a little more exciting than another Fender / Fender clone bass. I'd just like the bass I play (if only to me and no one else) to carry a moment of "ooh, that's just lovely" when I pick her up, rather than "yawn"...  Does that make any sense at all or am I being too fussy?

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...I'd just like the bass I play to carry a moment of "ooh, that's lovely" when I pick her up...  Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. If a bass doesn't have the 'lovely' effect, you'll never pick it up, your bass playing will suffer, you'll get herpes and your plonker will fall off with a resounding clang. So it's essential, really.

Yep, I'm in the shallow camp.

It could be the best sounding, most comfortable to play instrument in the world, but if i don't like the shape or the colour it's a deal breaker.

To bring us almost back on topic, that's exactly what stopped me getting one of these the other day.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/spector-bass-legend-4-classic-black-cherry-lined-fretless-sl4clbc-lf?LGWCODE=SL4CLBCLF;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn3kq5pJ91_N4SFEVnlCcx4Ev5QGsKKQ-zmDTB8kOMtN0JCeDQTmz8QaAm3cEALw_wcB

Edited by Cato

21 minutes ago, Cato said:

That's exactly the colour my Euro4 was. Does anyone actually LIKE black cherry burst?? Did Spector do any fact-finding about it?

26 minutes ago, discreet said:

That's exactly the colour my Euro4 was. Does anyone actually LIKE black cherry burst?? Did Spector do any fact-finding about it?

Andertons have had those two high spec fretlesses at a bargain price in stock for at least 6 months.

So I suspect there may be something to 'the curse of the black cherry burst'.

3 hours ago, discreet said:

Had a Euro4 a while back, loved everything about it except for the colour (dark cherry burst) so I moved it on. What I should have done was pay to have it professionally refinished.

My turn...so how come you went and got one in that colour in the first place? 

I take it you were force fed Ribena as a kid by your mum and are now rebelling? :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

...so how come you went and got one in that colour in the first place?

Because it was an early Czech Euro4 (NOT an LX) with the maple wings and full-on carved body, Tonepump preamp, EMG P/J pups and it sounded absolutely out of this world. Plus, I think I paid £650 for it. Had I known how much they were going to shoot up in price I'd have kept it, of course. Hindsight...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh, I can see that moving that on would leave a tinge of regret. Sounds lovely! 

Yes, I definitely will have another Spector in my life at some point. They are highly original and very special instruments. I've got some pics of it somewhere, hang on...

EBodyFrontzpsc367db4.jpg

EHeadPerspzpsfb6ecb4.jpg

EHornzps58ed6b53.jpg

EBridge2zpsdf80fa32.jpg

EHstockfrontzps8bad7.jpg

EPickupszps84e9f222.jpg

EInlay3zpseec6aa2d.jpg

ECurvetopzps57859349.jpg

Edited by discreet