Why become a member? ×

PJ Basses Yamaha vs Spector (or something else?)

Al Krow

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Yes, I definitely will have another Spector in my life at some point. They are highly original and very special instruments. I've got some pics of it somewhere, hang on...

EBodyFrontzpsc367db4.jpg

EHeadPerspzpsfb6ecb4.jpg

EHornzps58ed6b53.jpg

EBridge2zpsdf80fa32.jpg

EHstockfrontzps8bad7.jpg

EPickupszps84e9f222.jpg

EInlay3zpseec6aa2d.jpg

ECurvetopzps57859349.jpg

There is NOTHING wrong with that colour......... it's gorgeous!!!
Add the fact that it's on a beautiful Spector and it was a win/win! Doh....

The Sadowsky Metro HPJ is well worth a look.  I've had mine (below) for several years now and it's my go to bass. Superb build quality and lovely neck.

rig_021.jpg

They don't come up for sale very often but there happens to be one with a rosewood fingerboard for sale in Guildford at the moment on Ebay.  It's almost brand new.  I had a look at it when I went to check out something else he was selling.  BTW I have no connection with the seller. 

On 12/17/2017 at 17:45, Al Krow said:

Ok confession time: Fenders are like everywhere; I've got a Sandberg TM4 which is essentially a lovely German hand finished Fender J and which has been my mainstay bass for the past 3 years. Maybe I'm being completely indulgent and I know this is purely personal but I'm looking for something a little more exciting than another Fender / Fender clone bass. I'd just like the bass I play (if only to me and no one else) to carry a moment of "ooh, that's just lovely" when I pick her up, rather than "yawn"...  Does that make any sense at all or am I being too fussy?

Have you tried a VM?  I have just sold a P bass as this does P in spades plus a meaty old pickup for added fun should you need it.  Mine is also one of a brace of the updated Cali IIs that have a non-reversed split coil.  Stunning basses.

5a38c9c1638f8_CaliIIVM.jpg.bc0dec7e45d7e36a5cf8f06ddbb1d7a0.jpg

Edited by ead

See above.....

I've got  an old PM4 and it does a very very good P bass with just the neck pickup selected. And it does loads of other stuff too. And thats going nowhere even though i don't play it live much. 

I've just bought a 50's Classic Lacquer P bass too because it does even more of a P bass thing and has a lovely meaty neck. There is just a certain something about a real one that you just cant replicate 100% with another brand. Its the fruity mids and low mids that seem to just work in a live band setup with a genuine Fender P - i dont think it works as well as other basses at home but chuck it in a gig with a drummer and they have a whole different thing going on.

I had a Spector Euro 4 for a few years - wanted to gel with it as it was a significant birthday pressie from the missus but ultimately moved it on. It sounded a bit too sterile for my taste and i couldnt get used to the reach for the 1st few frets. Certainly doesn't do P bass IMHO. Beautiful bit of furniture though and i think everyone should try one for a bit :-)

Had a Yammy 424 for a while too - that was about the closest to a P bass i found - it had a woody earthyness to the tone. Fabulous bass and great value. Couldn't get on with the neck though so sold it on. Might try another one someday....

• 3 weeks later...

All this talk of PJs kicked off bad GAS.  Ended up getting this yesterday; anybody remember these?

5a4f35c6dcd0d_ClassicJazz02.jpg.34469bde98bf42096af73849880b3522.jpg

Judging by the serial number it's one of the original batch that came over and is in mint condition.  Cost me less than £150 and local too, it was clearly meant to be :)

On 17/12/2017 at 22:57, cetera said:

There is NOTHING wrong with that colour......... it's gorgeous!!!
Add the fact that it's on a beautiful Spector and it was a win/win! Doh....

Lovely! But we all have tales of ones that got away 😢

Edited by rhysyjob

18 minutes ago, discreet said:

I've owned a Euro4 and a couple of Legends, so already very much a fan. Have underlying Spector GAS constantly. Only one thing to do about that, really.

I agree they look great - particularly the neck through reverse-P design above. But for some reason, having searched high and low (and picked the brains of my fellow BCers), Spector seem to only do 4 string neck throughs? Real shame that they have no 5ers in their P bass + neck through stable (and the same for Warwick), otherwise I would be beating a path to their door...

It seems to me that if I'm looking for a P/J 5er (with or without a neck through), and which is not a Fender / Fender clone, then Yammys are still out in front!

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I agree they look great - particularly the neck through reverse-P design above. But for some reason, having searched high and low (and picked the brains of my fellow BCers), Spector seem to only do 4 string neck throughs? Real shame that they have no 5ers in their P bass + neck through stable (and the same for Warwick), otherwise I would be beating a path to their door...

You could get a 5-string Spector with soapbars and make sure they are/change them to the EMG P/J within soapbar housing so they sound like PJ's but look like soapbars....

• Like 1

Someone’s got there thinking cap on. 😊

I owned a LTD (esp) once with an EMG MM pickup in the bridge and a P soapbar at the  neck. Proof that great pickups cannot save a cr4p bass!!!

i didn’t realise that Spector didn’t do PJ neck through 5 strings...

Sandberg?