Why become a member? ×

Drop C tuning

danny-79

I’m after some advice. 

I’m a Four string player. Rock player. I’m used to bog standard EADG 440. I use that tuning on my jazz bass that I use while playing with my function band. And used the same tuning on both stingrays with my rock originals band. Tuning the second stingray BEAD 440 to cover everything else. So after 30 odd years of playing my ear and fingers are very much used to that set up. Even dropping to Eb causes mental complications. 

So having left the rock band the new band I’m getting to know play in drop C permently so I’m transcribing everything to BEAD and quite possibly causing myself a lot of unnecessary work.

any advice or tips on what to do ? 

Logicly it’s possibly forget what I already know and relearn everything in dropC but that’s easier said than done. I love a challenge but this is proving quite difficult to be honest. 

All and any advice is more than welcome 

thanks in advance 

Having worked on a project where everyone was in drop-C apart from me, I'd say that the simplest option is to use the same tuning as everyone else - it might be a headache in the beginning, but in the long run you'll probably save some time and effort.

Most guitar players who use drop tunings tend to write based parts based around the ease with which they can 'bounce' off the lowest open string - if you're playing lots of stuff in unison then it won't have the same sound or feel if you have to use a fretted low C all the time. 

Thank you TKenrick. That’s the conclusion that I’m coming to. The material is to fast so I’m tripping over myself all the time trying to keep up it’s just hard readjusting my ears to it is thd biggest part of the problem but will give it another go