Why become a member? ×

DB Bridge with adjusters - now gone

Burns-bass

Hello!

The incredible Martin Penning has just set up my Bryant double bass. We agreed it needed a new bridge, so he fitted one. The Bryant fitted bridge wasn’t big enough and the adjusters were a little bit off Centre.

Anyway, I have the old bridge but I don’t need it. If anyone would like it or can make use of it, just DM me and I’ll send it.

Edited by Burns-bass

What is it with dear Paul Bryant? There have been countless basses of his which have needed a wider bridge to cover the bass bar, mine included. Mind you, once this mod is completed the bass becomes a great instrument. I love mine and I’m looking forward to a host of gigs in the New Year.

Is this a recent purchase, BB?

Hi Mr Ace.

it was definitely a wider bridge being needed as well as a few more modifications. When I bought it I spoke to some Bryant owners, players and Martin and all suggested budgeting a decent chunk for set up, so when I had to spend a few hundred (£600 including a pickup) it wasn’t a surprise. I don’t want to be too effusive, but Martin is a bit of a master when it comes to set up and getting a great sound out of a bass.

The Bryant now sings beautifully. He’s lowered the nut, fixed the fingerboard and a few others bits. I basically said to do whatever the bass needed.

Paul and I were talking and he’d agreed to  build me what was going to be the last soloist model at a very reasonable price indeed. As it turns out he has built another since then. The craftsmanship is impressive for the price, and it plays and sounds wonderful. It’s the first instrument I’ve ever owned from new (bass or upright), and I’m delighted with it.

He’s a lovely chap and we had a great time when I met Paul. He’s continuing a long tradition of unique people building great instruments.

Edited by Burns-bass

I bought my Solo from Paul a few years ago. He said to take it away on a week’s trial. On the way out I suggested he make a note of my name and address and he said yes I suppose so. I loved the bass for its singing qualities and nice easy action on Spiro Mitts but I could never get it to amp properly - there was something wrong which I couldn’t pinpoint. After trying all sorts of pickups amps and cabs I just gave up and went to see George Martin who sold me a top of range Solo in px for my Martin Concert, still for a lot of dosh. And it played and amped beautifully.

But my Bryant was still unfinished business, a stone in my shoe if you will. I took it in the opposite direction to you,  BB, to Laurence Dixon in South London. He did virtually the same work as you had Martin Penning do and at a similar cost.

The result, I now have a very nice bass that I do all my gigs with and a very expensive Martin that stays at home and hardly ever gets played.

Enjoy your bass.

I had a Bryant Lott bass and the bridge was totally fine. It was well set up and it sounded fantastic. I sold it at one of these low ebbs that happen in a musician’s life, but through no fault of the bass. Paul was an incredible gentleman to deal with.

it all turned out great at the end, The Bryant Lott is at performing at some good conservatoire orchestra and I have an unbelievable one off bass, which I adore.

Agreed, Paul is an absolute gentleman and I should say the set up wasn’t what I wanted as a weak wristed Jazz player, but may have been perfect for someone else.

The set up is always personal to taste, but the bass construction is very high quality for an incredible price. And the sound of a fully carved bass blows me away...

• Thanks 1