Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 weight.?

bubinga5

Hello all. I read somewhere (Talkbass I believe) that the newer batches of Sire V7,s were a little lighter, as they had shaved a bit more wood off the body and the neck etc, this could be nonsense. I had a V7 5 a while back but had to send it back for financial reasons. Also it was a little on the heavy side.  Looking at getting another, or even a V9. But would really like one a little lighter.  Has anyone hears this.? 

Cheers. 

I have a v7 4 from the second lot Thomann got in and its heavy

where as a friend just got one [again from Thomann] and its definitely lighter, its exactly the same spec as mine except mines natural and his is sunburst 

both are ash and maple ...

i havent heard that wood has been shaved off i just presumed the weight loss was due to different cuts..

to my ear there is no compromise in sound either. 

Thanks Tim. I emailed Sire actually. They told me that ash is usually lighter than alder. I always thought it was the other way around. But like you say, it probably depends on the cut of wood/density etc. They also said the V9 is a pound heavier because of the maple top, so that a non runner for me. 

• 1 year later...