Why become a member? ×

Mini overdrive /dirt pedals

burno70

If you're limiting yourself to nano pedals you don't have many options, one of the best out there is the Cog Mini 66. Keep an eye on the FS section, wink wink nudge nudge.

FWIW I far prefer pedals with top jacks to nano pedals, as they take up about the same amount of space overall depending on your board layout and other pedals - so that might widen the net a bit!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

...one of the best out there is the Cog Mini 66. Keep an eye on the FS section, wink wink nudge nudge.

Lol! DB plugging something you're about to sell should definitely be a yellow card offence! :D Having said that I almost bought the COG Mini 66 myself, but you beat me to it! 

But is it going to be better than the Hooker's Green BM (which isn't currently under any threat of excommunication from my pedal board!), which I actually prefer to B3K / VMT (it's a less 'metallic' dirt than these two best sellers) and it just aces it for me over my old Two Notes Le Bass, as it retains low end really well. Can be got new for < £100.

Looked it up - seems to be an OCD clone like the Joyo Ultimate Drive, and is said to lose a bit of low end. The Mooer Cruncher was mentioned in my travels as well, where one person A/B'd it with the Hustle and took the Cruncher home.

Also the ENO Trouble appears to be the same pedal as the Hustle: https://uk.dhgate.com/product/eno-micro-guitar-effect-pedal-dso-2-trouble/161040366.html

Oh yeah I forgot about the HGBM, that's an option too! I only plug things I'm about to sell if they are genuinely what somebody might be looking for though! Whether it's better than a HGBM would be purely down to taste, like arguing which flavour of ice cream is best (chocolate btw).

Gonna end up selling loads of my pedals as they just end up all over my floor and I spend more time fiddling with them than actually learning how to play the bass better!

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

"Nothing too spendy" - I have no idea what that means!

<£50?  <£100?  <£cost of the Eventide Pitchfactor that you have in the FS section? :) 

When you mention the SFX Red Dragon, I presume you mean the 'micro' version?

Nearer the £50 mark mate. And aye, 'tis the mini version I meant.

12 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Wow DB - how do you even find these deals?! That is amazing value - pretty much what I paid second hand for mine!

16 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Not even heard of the HGBM.

The Cog 66 is actually a really good shout -  shameless plug forgiven!

Well Burno - you should defo check out the HGBM. It's a really good 'clean' overdrive. And you know that as we are both big Ibby SR Premium fans, my tastes can't be entirely bad! :)  

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

FWIW I far prefer pedals with top jacks to nano pedals, as they take up about the same amount of space overall depending on your board layout and other pedals - so that might widen the net a bit!

I endorse this statement 200%. In some cases, compared to reasonably sized “normal” pedals with top jacks, nano pedals can be a false economy. You potentially gain nothing in terms of pedalboard real estate but can sacrifice controls/functionality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I endorse this statement 200%. In some cases, compared to reasonably sized “normal” pedals with top jacks, nano pedals can be a false economy. You potentially gain nothing in terms of pedalboard real estate but can sacrifice controls/functionality.

+1 It's one of the reasons something like the Aguilar Agro will actually not take up much more actual pedal-board real estate than some of these mini pedals...

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 It's one of the reasons something like the Aguilar Agro will actually not take up much more actual pedal-board real estate than some of these mini pedals...

Indeed. I remember taking some photos a while back comparing one of the TC electronic spectracomp pedal (with low profile EBS patch cables in the side jacks) to an Aguilar pedal (top jacks) and the result - exactly the same width give or take a couple of millimetres. If using any other brand of patch cable the mini sized TC would actually have taken up more room!

Edited by CameronJ

I might put together a mini board of pure top jack pedals just because. Agro, Tonehammer, Cali76 CB, Octabvre Mini, JoshWah. Snug as a bug!

Oh and I thoroughly disendorse (if that's a word) EBS patch cables. In my bedroom at least they act like an antennae for interference when I have my dimmer switch on at night and add a very noticeable amount of noise, I'd imagine dodgy electrics and lighting at many venues would produce the same effect. Tested by simply putting various patch cables in a true bypass loop into a headphone amp. I moved to isolated power to try and solve my noise issues only to find my old daisy chain was fine and it was just those cables.

There you go Al, I just anti-plugged something I'm going to be selling, if anyone wants some barely used EBS patch cables?

Edited by dannybuoy

27 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I might put together a mini board of pure top jack pedals just because. Agro, Tonehammer, Cali76 CB, Octabvre Mini, JoshWah. Snug as a bug!

Oh and I thoroughly disendorse (if that's a word) EBS patch cables. In my bedroom at least they act like an antennae for interference when I have my dimmer switch on at night and add a very noticeable amount of noise, I'd imagine dodgy electrics and lighting at many venues would produce the same effect. Tested by simply putting various patch cables in a true bypass loop into a headphone amp. I moved to isolated power to try and solve my noise issues only to find my old daisy chain was fine and it was just those cables.

There you go Al, I just anti-plugged something I'm going to be selling, if anyone wants some barely used EBS patch cables?

Re last point - good for you, buddy - I guess that means you're out of the 'sin bin' then :)  Btw - you're not the first person to have said that about picking up interference @Cuzzie may take them off your hands...

I've been using Van Damme Pro Grade patch cables, not the cheapest but seem to do the job well. Here's my mini board with both the HGBM and showing the Van Damme cables just to keep this vaguely on topic! You will no doubt recognise one of your former pedals on the board DB... :) 

Pedal Board - Mini Dec 2017.JPG

Edited by Al Krow

13 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Yup, it's an excellent point which I hadn't considered. Although this would only work out if you had a full board made of up these pedals - as Danny has mentioned. You gain nothing if you mix top and side socket pedals and I've already got half the board assembled with side socket pedals.