Why become a member? ×

Guitar rebuild 2

SH73

I started a second guitar re build  whilst my first one is still in progress. This time it's going to be a Squier strat with re fitted hardware and electronics keeping the strat look. The body has been ee sprayed. New neck fitted as the neck on the second hand Squier I bought seen better days. Worn out frets and not functioning trust rod. Cheaper to replace the neck. I've learnt a lot from the first re build so the paint job costs significantly less. Pictures to follow soon.

• 4 months later...

The project had to he re done. Had to sand all the lacquer off and resprayed it with filler/primer. The good weather allows me to spray paint both guitars. Hoping to apply lacquer tomorrow.

Edited by SH73

Do I sand the red one with wet #400, #800, #1200,#2000 to get the dust particles out the use compound and buff/polish?

Or do I go straight to compound and polish. I think I prefer the latter as I might get carried away with sanding.

It depends how flat your finish is, how much "orange peel" needs flatting off. You can spend a long time polishing. 

It might be worth looking at Micromesh pads or similar. They range from 1200 to 12000 grit and can be used dry if the pad is frequently de-clogged using a monofibre cloth. I'd try to avoid wet sanding or you could start lifting the lacquer on any edges. You'll get a flatter final finish, with less effort than polishing alone. 

51 minutes ago, Norris said:

It depends how flat your finish is, how much "orange peel" needs flatting off. You can spend a long time polishing. 

It might be worth looking at Micromesh pads or similar. They range from 1200 to 12000 grit and can be used dry if the pad is frequently de-clogged using a monofibre cloth. I'd try to avoid wet sanding or you could start lifting the lacquer on any edges. You'll get a flatter final finish, with less effort than polishing alone. 

Any recommendation for a good micromesh brand and supplier?

• 2 weeks later...