Why become a member? ×

Bitcrushers that don’t crush your low end or your wallet?

basexperience

2 hours ago, lee650 said:

@dodge_bass

lol! the oc2 octave sound is unmistakable!  I really regret selling mine, as much as I love the cog. Ive always been a massive fan of keyboard bass Stevie Wonder, Greg Phillinganes, bernies Worrall etc, but only fairly recently started to explore 

those sounds via pedals. alas although I'm a good sight reader, ive always struggled with transcribing :( the keyboard  player  i have is fantastic (he's also a great bass player to) and my brother in law is drumming he's pretty good too. We've just got together so working out material abs well get a guitarist and maybe a sax player in the future when we've got a bit of material together.  very different to what I've done before which was function band/theatre pit work :)

so the mooer definately worth a punt!

Yeah the OC2 is a keeper - but you'll pick one up again easily enough if you want one - they come up pretty regularly for sale. The COG is grea too though because of the filter knob - can really get a great range of sounds going on! 

As for transcription - well funnily enough I reckon you've got a massive advantage by being able to read / understand notated music already - you just need to accept that working it out is going to be a slow but gradual process - one bar a day kind of thing and just start doing it. It will be SO GOOD for your ears / self development and you confidence as well. Believe me it's worth spending time on - you won't regret it! start now and do some every day for the rest of your life. If you want you can send me your finished transcriptions and I'll check them over - that helped me a lot in the beginning when I was starting out!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

I like it so far see below. It's maybe a little noisy but in the mix  you won't hear that.

11 hours ago, totorbass said:

Except if you play "Forbidden games" acoustic with a hint of bitcrushing.

I was trying a joke on the fact a bitcrusher isn't meant for very quiet musical contexts or sweet melodies. Nevermind.

Edited by totorbass
  • Haha 2

The mooer arrived this morning - I’ve had the briefest of plays with it, at the end of the signal chain - which includes the Future Attack and the Poly Mod Pro in front, with the FCB doing midi control on synth mix on the FI and frequency on the PolyMod Pro with a basic envelope follower on. 

After the tinkering, I can report that;

1. The switch to select instruments is best left at “guitar” - it’s just a filter and extracts all treble on the bass setting, with the synth being somewhere in the middle. 

2. The synth sound I was using definitely worked best with a fairly narrow range on the “bit” dial - but the sounds are exactly what I was looking for, excellent

3. The way the tone reacts to the expression pedals for both the FI synth mix and frequency on the PolyMod is AMAZING!!!

I’ll try to post some video later - but it looks like this was well worth doing. I’ve actually got another Boss EV-5 for the PolyMod Pro as the expression pedal input has a lot more scope (LFO speed, and more) than the MIDI mappable continuous controllers. There’s like 13 mapping for expression, onto a huge range of different parameters in the filter. 

I started my pedalboard after years of using a Podxt (which I do still use) because I had a Boss SYB-5 and the OC-2 octaver lying around for years, and wanted to use them again. The journey to this point has been a revelation - so much tweakability; and some patch-based capability too, which I really do like in an effects rig. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basexperience said:

The mooer arrived this morning - I’ve had the briefest of plays with it, at the end of the signal chain - which includes the Future Attack and the Poly Mod Pro in front, with the FCB doing midi control on synth mix on the FI and frequency on the PolyMod Pro with a basic envelope follower on. 

After the tinkering, I can report that;

1. The switch to select instruments is best left at “guitar” - it’s just a filter and extracts all treble on the bass setting, with the synth being somewhere in the middle. 

2. The synth sound I was using definitely worked best with a fairly narrow range on the “bit” dial - but the sounds are exactly what I was looking for, excellent

3. The way the tone reacts to the expression pedals for both the FI synth mix and frequency on the PolyMod is AMAZING!!!

I’ll try to post some video later - but it looks like this was well worth doing. I’ve actually got another Boss EV-5 for the PolyMod Pro as the expression pedal input has a lot more scope (LFO speed, and more) than the MIDI mappable continuous controllers. There’s like 13 mapping for expression, onto a huge range of different parameters in the filter. 

I started my pedalboard after years of using a Podxt (which I do still use) because I had a Boss SYB-5 and the OC-2 octaver lying around for years, and wanted to use them again. The journey to this point has been a revelation - so much tweakability; and some patch-based capability too, which I really do like in an effects rig. 

I think the bit and sample knowns are mislabeled, big knob is samplerate, small is bits. 

And mooer is definitely acts quite differently depending on what you put into I compared to the Frantabit.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Arriving late to the party in terms of getting a dedicated bit crusher, having made do with my Zoom MS-60B. Have also gone for a Mooer Lofi as an  entry level dedicated pedal - it's a bit better than the MS-60B, but not massively so. Useful to have pointed out to us that knobs seem to be labelled the wrong way around on the Mooer:

On 20/12/2017 at 11:15, elephantgrey said:

I think the bit and sample knobs are mis-labeled, big knob is sample rate, small is bits. 

The bit crusher (small knob) is not particularly useful - pretty much just adding white noise.

The sample rate reduction (big knob) has a 'usable range' going anti-clockwise from 5pm to 1pm (any futher than 12 noon anti-clockwise and you rapidly get into a beyond human hearing frequencies). My own preference being in the 3pm to 4pm range which does add something to the low E and B strings :)

But it has whetted my appetite for bit crushers!

Clearly a lot of love for both the Scrutator and Frantabit on this thread. There was also one mention of the Red Panda Bitmap which does also look really good! Wonder how @ben4343 got on with his? 

Edited by Al Krow

The selling point of the Scrutator is the expression pedal control of all the parameters and the 2-pole filter. Plus it has a preamp. I'd really like to compare it to the Frantabit though- any pedal that offers an 'obliterate' option has to be worth a look. I notice there's one in the classifieds, but alas I am skint.

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

The selling point of the Scrutator is the expression pedal control of all the parameters and the 2-pole filter. Plus it has a preamp. I'd really like to compare it to the Frantabit though- any pedal that offers an 'obliterate' option has to be worth a look. I notice there's one in the classifieds, but alas I am skint.

The Red Panda and both newer (6 knob) and older (5 knob) model Frantabit also have expression pedal control; with the newer model 6 knob Frantabit having enhanced expression control. Not sure that the Scrutator has a jump on either of these pedals on that score? But the Malekko does win on price!

Scrutator - around £189 Thomann

Red Panda Bitmap - £229 G4M

IE Frantabit -  around £240(??) imported from the US?

Did you also go for the Mooer? Have you been able to put it to good sonic use?

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The Red Panda and both newer (6 knob) and older (5 knob) model Frantabit also have expression pedal control; with the newer model 6 knob Frantabit having enhanced expression control. Not sure that the Scrutator has a jump on either of these pedals on that score? But the Malekko does win on price!

Scrutator - around £189 Thomann

Red Panda Bitmap - £229 G4M

IE Frantabit -  around £240(??) imported from the US?

Did you also go for the Mooer? Have you been able to put it to good sonic use?

Not at all! the scrutator can assign filter sweep/Q, bit crush,SSR and as per the 6 knob frantabit you can assign how much travel of the assigned switch you want on the expression! Throw in the preamp and switchable LP/BP filter and you've got an incredibly versatile pedal! Certainly a lot more for less money than the other two 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lee650 said:

Not at all! the scrutator can assign filter sweep/Q, bit crush,SSR and as per the 6 knob frantabit you can assign how much travel of the assigned switch you want on the expression! Throw in the preamp and switchable LP/BP filter and you've got an incredibly versatile pedal! Certainly a lot more for less money than the other two 😁

Sounds good! But is it as 'musical' on SSR? Tbf in terms of 'musicality' which I suspect could well translate into live usability, the Ottobit seems to trump the rest of the field.

The Red Panda offers a choice of three waveforms. Not sure either the FB or the Scrutator does? Although the LP/BP is a nice alternative feature. 

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds good! But is it as 'musical' on SSR? Tbf in terms of 'musicality' which I suspect could well translate into live usability, the Ottobit seems to trump the rest of the field.

The Red Panda offers a choice of three waveforms. Not sure either the FB or the Scrutator does? Although the LP/BP is a nice alternative feature. 

Depends what you mean by musical! The sample rate reduction does detune the note somewhat, but they all do that! Like any pedal, it's as musical as you are! I do tend to be sparing with the settings! I believe the frantabit has the obliterate mode which is an Analog approximation of the effect (a bit like the catalinbread heliotrope) which goes absolutely nuts!!! Some people would perceive that as "musical" a lot of people still find bit/SSR to be noisy rubbish 🤣

The ottobit certainly is better built and has a high quality sound (the filter has been compared to the Moog low pass filter in terms of tone and functionality) like most things the more cash you spend  at something the "better" it is! The ottobit is certainly on my list 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

There was also one mention of the Red Panda Bitmap which does also look really good! Wonder how @ben4343 got on with his?

To be perfectly honest I don't love it, but that isn't the fault of the pedal - I just don't think bitcrushers are for me. I bought it in a period of completely self-indulgent GAS where I was on a Red Panda bender, and wanted a bitcrusher for one song. I also really like the work RP do in general, and was lucky enough to be able to afford to support them.

I mess around with it from time to time, and can say that I tend to favour Crush over Mod mode, but I don't find it as inspiring as some of their other pedals (the Raster is probably my favourite pedal of all time) - again because I think I am not a bitcrusher guy. I also haven't really experimented with the EXP, but I think I lack the right kind of imagination to get anything special out of it. I think as bitcrushers go though it was pretty cool and has a high ceiling, but I also found it easy to dial in a suitably quirky sound on the LoFi Machine... Horses for courses.

• Thanks 1

I was disappointed to find out that the Ottobit Jr doesn’t have an output volume control to enable us to equalise the volume to clean bypass. Seems to be a common theme with Meris pedals. It’s kinda annoying that you're "expected" to be bringing extra kit in the form of midi control or a separate volume pedal control to the party to be able to use a £300 Meris pedal to its full potential!

Anyway I found some solace by spending a bit of quality time with my Helix Stomp this evening. The bitcrush on the Stomp is without doubt a whole level better than the Mooer Lofi, so my Mooer can get swiftly moved on having had a short but sweet stay on the Krow pedal board! It was kinda fun putting together a 'gated' bitcrush on the Stomp that's only triggered when you dig in hard; dead easy to do by setting the open and close levels suitably.

Just as an fyi - the bitcrush parameters available to adjust on the Stomp are also a whole level more sophisticated than those available on the Zoom multis (I've got the B1X-4 and previously had both the B3n and the MS-60B).

So I guess that we could reasonably add another bitcrush option to our list: Helix Stomp.

Edited by Al Krow

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Red Panda Bitmap 2

NAMM 2021 - this looks like it's just stolen a march on the bitcrush competition! Bitcrusher, sample rate reduction AND modulation with triangle, square and random waveforms. Even allows you to save presets.

image.png.b0b470a5ac16f4b026f97e99d87a172f.png

I think this falls into the "it will crush your wallet" territory 😂

Looks ace though 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I think this falls into the "it will crush your wallet" territory 😂

Looks ace though 😁

Agree on both counts, mate!

I think the Scrutator could just be about to be knocked off its perch...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

A couple of us seem to have succumbed to the charms of the Red Panda BitMap2 over the past month. Agree that it doesn't fit into the "not crushing your wallet category" for sure - but mentioning here, as this seems to be the most comprehensive BC thread on bitcrushers and sample rate reduction ('SRR').

I got ribbed by a mate recently that a bitcrusher / SRR would never get used live...however Billie Eilesh, in the title track from her new album, makes very clear use of bitcrush / SRR, particularly prominently for the last 25 seconds from 4.30 to 4.55 although it's evident elsewhere in the rest of the track.

Edited by Al Krow

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A couple of us seem to have succumbed to the charms of the Red Panda BitMap2 over the past month. Agree that it doesn't fit into the "not crushing your wallet category" for sure - but mentioning here, as this seems to be the most comprehensive BC thread on bitcrushers and sample rate reduction ('SRR').

I got teased by a mate recently that it would likely be something I would probably never use live however, interestingly, Billie Eilesh in the title track from her new album makes very clear use of bitcrush / SRR, particularly prominently for the last 25 seconds from 4.30 to 4.55 although it's evident elsewhere in the rest of the track.

Yes that's lovely - reducing the sample rate slowly. Sounds killer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I got teased by a mate recently that it would likely be something I would probably never use live however, interestingly, Billie Eilesh in the title track from her new album makes very clear use of bitcrush / SRR, particularly prominently for the last 25 seconds from 4.30 to 4.55 although it's evident elsewhere in the rest of the track.

Funny enough I do exactly the same thing here (but just on the bass) at about 4mins - rising arco bass line which turns into bit crusher - maybe she heard this before they finished producing her track! :)

https://havband.bandcamp.com/track/slangpolska-rakkaus-on-lepo

• Like 1