Why become a member? ×

5 string acoustic

patrikmarky

I have two Michael Kelly acoustic 5s, fretted and fretless, and love both of them. Well made, playable, good tone, and ridiculously good-looking. The Fishman electronics on the Dragonfly are excellent - much better than what's on the equally pretty and playable Club.

Not the easiest to find, but there is this (in the US, so you'd have to add import duty - total around £680):

https://reverb.com/item/6393030-michael-kelly-mkdf5skb-dragonfly-5-bass-guitar-smoke-burst

Probably more a case of if you see one second hand, grab it.

Edited by josie
Added comment on Club electronics

My advice would be don't waste your money. Acoustic bass guitars and pretty poor and only useable plugged in. The fifth string in particular is often inaudible. I had a Washburn with an enormous jumbo body and it was still useless. Sounded quite nice plugged in but then so do solid body guitars fitted with a piezo bridge like the Fishman and there is no chance of feedback with them.

On 17/12/2017 at 00:11, Grahambythesea said:

My advice would be don't waste your money. Acoustic bass guitars and pretty poor and only useable plugged in. The fifth string in particular is often inaudible. I had a Washburn with an enormous jumbo body and it was still useless. Sounded quite nice plugged in but then so do solid body guitars fitted with a piezo bridge like the Fishman and there is no chance of feedback with them.

Hi Graham...

Thanks for advice..though I'd already ordered a esp thinline tl-5sm ..which does have a fishman

Sonicore pickup & tl -3 pre amp..hopefully a good choice. .

Having tried a few, avoid the very low cost ones. I own a Stanford B61-5CM which is a terrific instrument with standard 9/18 mm strings spacing and just a volume. The low B is precise and clear, but not powerfull, the rest of the bass is very well made in ... Europe. It's the "low cost version" of the Furch Durango B61-5CM.

It's more than what you expect to put in the market, but it's worth the money. 

The Stanford B6Stanford B61-5CM with sound on the second link :

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Stanford-B-61-CM-5-B-Stock-/art-BAS0006636-000

The Furch Durango B61-5CM with sound in the second link :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/furch_b61_5_cm_acoustic_bass.htm