Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine, fretless bass of the year: ACG Salace

GreeneKing

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

I've had Musicman, Westone, 70s precision ,90s jap jazz and my latest cort b4fl beats them all and cost £275 

Clearly you haven’t played an ACG. If you had you would know how good they are. I too own a Cort bass and I know how good it is but I also own an ACG and it is many times better than the Cort.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Brooks said:

Hi,

Not wishing to be contentious but....would you like to add some meat on the bones of that comment? Wouldn't mind knowing if that was meant in jest or actually was meant seriously. Happy to discuss privately or on here. I can quite happily confirm that every piece of kit I've ever reviewed has been reviewed and tested by me either at home, at BGM offices in years gone by or in-store if we're conducting a review day. Having written for the mag for 13 years, every review I've written has been with the gear at my disposal.

All the  best one and all,

Mike

Just to clarify, my comment was referring to a BGM Competition where 3 Jackson Basses were offered as prizes, yet only 1 Winner has come to light ( and that was on Facebook). Thinks it's important when a Competition is run that everyone thinks they are in with a chance of winning and that the Winners are there for all to see.

1 hour ago, BassBus said:

Clearly you haven’t played an ACG. If you had you would know how good they are. I too own a Cort bass and I know how good it is but I also own an ACG and it is many times better than the Cort.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to prefer this over that. If you had an ACG fretless and a Cort B4Fl and preferred the Cort Alan would be the first to accept that and want to know why.

Whatever floats your boat. But, given the nature of this thread, coming into it to contribute with negatives strikes me as a little odd. 

22 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

? This is a thread to congratulate someone on their achievement. What is your point?

Peter

Well done then,going to be a short one with just lots of Well done's ,does everything have to have a point? just commenting about my recent Cort since we're in Fretless land,if its okay ?

21 hours ago, BassBus said:

i haven't and i'm not comparing,looks nice except the extra string,just thought i'd mention the Cort as i bought it recently and we're in fretless land

20 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to prefer this over that. If you had an ACG fretless and a Cort B4Fl and preferred the Cort Alan would be the first to accept that and want to know why.

Whatever floats your boat. But, given the nature of this thread, coming into it to contribute with negatives strikes me as a little odd. 

I never mentioned the ACG so how am i being negative ?

52 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

I never mentioned the ACG so how am i being negative ?

The point is, as I already said 'given the nature of this thread', saying 'my bass is great and only cost £275' is hardly contributing anything but negativity. If you want to tell everyone how good your Cort is and you don't want it to relate to an ACG then why post it in here?????

3 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

The point is, as I already said 'given the nature of this thread', saying 'my bass is great and only cost £275' is hardly contributing anything but negativity. If you want to tell everyone how good your Cort is and you don't want it to relate to an ACG then why post it in here?????

Because the thread title is Fretless bass of the year ?I had a quick look at the winner then thought i'd mention the Cort.My fretless bass of the year is the one i bought.Even if i replied saying not bad  but i prefer my £275 Cort it's still not negative it's me stating a preference.Likewise is it not okay for someone to just say sorry i don't like it ?

40 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Because the thread title is Fretless bass of the year ?I had a quick look at the winner then thought i'd mention the Cort.My fretless bass of the year is the one i bought.Even if i replied saying not bad  but i prefer my £275 Cort it's still not negative it's me stating a preference.Likewise is it not okay for someone to just say sorry i don't like it ?

OK good, moving on.

Like the finish on the ACG - really unusual. Congrats to Alan

• Like 1

On 12/13/2017 at 20:54, TheGreek said:

Agree...I love the finish on my Harlot SC...

ACGHarlot6_zpsac9f8446.jpg

ACGHarlot3_zpse0b081de.jpg

That is a superb instrument, I played it many years ago when it was with a previous owner. Imo still the most desirable bass ACG has ever produced.

Congratulations to Alan for the accolade with the magazine, well-deserved. I hope NAMM is a success for him and wins him some international orders. His instruments are excellent and fully deserve the attention of the worldwide audience.

On 13/12/2017 at 20:54, TheGreek said:

Agree...I love the finish on my Harlot SC...

ACGHarlot6_zpsac9f8446.jpg

ACGHarlot3_zpse0b081de.jpg

This was mine, many moons ago. I bought it from Greeneking, who was IIRC, funding another ACG at the time. 

It's a hugely impressive instrument and as finely crafted as any boutique bass I've ever played. My one regret is that I should have played it out more. In fact, I should have spent less time faffing on with the controls and more time just playing! 

I will have another ACG some day, and I may well order new to my specification. 

On 26/12/2017 at 18:04, Chris2112 said:

It's a hugely impressive instrument and as finely crafted as any boutique bass I've ever played. My one regret is that I should have played it out more. In fact, I should have spent less time faffing on with the controls and more time just playing! 

The range of tones from the pick ups and the East pre make this. As you say it's easy to spend time faffing with the controls, I try not to do that. Find a tone you're happy with and leave it alone. 

I've been lucky to have had some great high end basses but kept this over the Ritter Cora, both are exceptional basses but from a aesthetic point of view this is leaps and bounds ahead. Over time the red has mellowed from the top wood - I'll have to get some new photos done - but it's still a very beautiful bass - as are all of Alan's creations. I honestly believe that we're spoilt by the many great luthiers in the UK at the moment - Alan, Bernie Goodfellow, our own Andy Rogers and Jez (Jabba) to name but a few.

With so much talent I can't understand why Bassists would give their money to the big companies.

Congrats again to Alan for the recognition he deserves.