Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin Pro II (Origin?)

progben

Hey all,

I'm just looking for any knowledgeable folks to shed some light on where my Dolphin Pro II was built. I've done some research online but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

It's finished in translucent black, has silver hardware, and has the serial number E-346-91 (Built in May, 1991, I assume).

From what I've read, the general consensus seems to be that a few German basses were made (badly, and without serial numbers), then production moved to Japan

Confusingly the back of the electronics cover reads 'Made in Germany', though. 

Anyone in the know? 

I have E-355-91; black, silver hardware... identical to yours!  :)  

I'd be amazed if you get to the bottom of it because even Warwick can't get facts straight.  I've always assumed mine was MIJ (despite the MIG cover) but there is no way of being certain.  I've owned a couple of Pro I NT basses and despite this being a fraction of their value I've kept this in preference to those.  Swamp Ash body with maple neck and wenge fingerboard is a great combo.  The bridge pup solo is a bit 'meh' mind!  ;)

No pics to hand but as above!

I really, really rate the Pro II. It's unfairly compared to the Pro I which is a different thing entirely really. The II is essentially a really awesome lookin' J bass with some of that Warwick growl :D. Also its made in my birth year which is neat.

The craftsmanship seems really good, so it'd make sense for it to be MIJ, with German hardware (hence the MIG plastic cover). 

3 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

The bridge pup solo is a bit 'meh' mind!  ;)

Agreed. Although with a bit of EQing and distortion, I can get it somewhere close to the Ric ballpark and often use it to track electric guitar parts on demos, so its useful in that respect. It really shines when you roll toward the neck though, for sure!

I had one the same as the above, which I'm pretty sure was made in Japan. Sold it to a friend and it remains his main bass. They're great. I've had 2 x Pro 1s as well and it held up pretty well against them (and indeed was actually more comfortable - I always found the Pro 1s a bit weird ergonomically, despite their claims). Nice, punchy tone (although a bit lacking in girth for me for band use) and a great, slim neck, much thinnerr than the wide, fat Pro 1 necks. I didn't like it quite as much as my '91 Pro 1 - that was a lovely bass, went to the bloke in 100 Reasons - but I liked it more than my '96.

I have a translucent black one too. I’m going to check the serial number later now xD 

I guess the Japanese built ones used German parts - hence the rear cover. 

I recall reading once that the German built pro2’s didn’t ever get sold as they weren’t up to standard, but there does seem to be so many stories about these. 

11 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I have a translucent black one too. I’m going to check the serial number later now xD 

I guess the Japanese built ones used German parts - hence the rear cover. 

I recall reading once that the German built pro2’s didn’t ever get sold as they weren’t up to standard, but there does seem to be so many stories about these. 

I'm sure I've read somewhere that some did go on sale because there were up to standard, but the majority were destroyed because of low quality.

The Japanese-built w/ German parts theory does seem the most likely.

How're you finding your bass, Dazed?

To be honest I’ve hardly played it, or any other bass in the last couple of years (life getting in the way). It’s a strange coincidence you’ve posted this thread as I’ve only recently picked a bass up and for some reason decided it would be the Pro. 

I literally took it out of its case last weekend for the first time this year. It’s really nothing like my Pro 1,  but not in a bad way, other than a vaguely similar body shape. They’re just completely different. 

I like the narrow jazz width neck, I’d prefer it was wenge or bubinga but I guess maple does give a different tone to my other Warwick’s.  As has been said that bridge pickup could do with being an inch further out.  

Has anyone tried other pickups or pre in one?  

All I have ever read is that they were built in Japan and set up in Germany with parts. They were discontinued due to the poor quality control in the German factory, I remember reading batches and batches of them were written off before shipping. Alway fancied trying one, if only because of John's comments 😁

The raw/unadulterated tone of a Pro I is (subjectively) better than a Pro II; just as you might argue a P bass sounds better than a J but then you can blend pups and add/subtract EQ to the Pro II and get a superb sound which is 'different' to any you could get from the Pro I.  I think the reason I kept a Pro II over a Pro I is that the whole bass may have that individual outline but the Pro II hangs slightly closer to the body due to the inset neck and the bass is lighter and balances great (not that the Pro I doesn't balance).  IIRC the overall neck dimensions are slimmer on a Pro II, again much like the J v P analogy.  The actual tone of the type and location of the pups is so subjective that it is almost the least important factor... I wouldn't say that mind if the actual tone of a Pro II was naff.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are these active or passive MEC pickups?

Been searching online but not getting much sense. 

The logos are worn off mine so I can’t tell if they were  silver or gold logos- I used to think silver were passive and gold were active but looking on the MEC website that seems to be wrong. They do active versions of both colour  

I’ve just read that these had an active passive push pull - like  the Pro 1? Mine doesn’t that’s for sure. It has got a handy kill switch fitted by a previous owner to the battery compartment. 

They are 'allegedly' passive with active EQ but if you have a dead battery out you should find they don't work at all hence they are active (needing power for the preamp in them).  I don't think MEC had the silver logo models back in 91 so they will defo be the gold as fitted to the top of the range basses at the time.  My bass is stock and doesn't have a push/pull pot as the Pro I basses have.    

• Thanks 1