hestan

Stunning Overwater J-Series Fretless 4 Str + Overwater Gig Bag PRICE DROP to £950
£1500

******£950 plus postage********

I’m selling my stunning Overwater J-Series 4 str fretless.

SPECS:

34" scale
4.4 kg
Controls:
Volume, Pickup blend, and 3 way Overwater Tone control (bass thick outer ring, mids top ring, then pull out top ring for top end)

It’s an incredible bass, a one off I had custom built for me by Overwater in 2005, with an eye-catching translucent blue quilted maple finish and ebony fretboard.  It sounds amazing: i've rarely played fretless basses that sang quite as much as this one, without the harsh zingy sound of some cheaper luthiers.

I used the bass professionally on the West End show Stephen Ward cast recording in 2013, as well on the show itself (for 5 months), but otherwise it stayed at home in the studio.

It does have a few noticeable dings from its 5 months of regular use in the tiny Orchestra pit at the Aldwych theatre (quick instrument changeovers) but they’re mainly on the back and sides.  I've highlighted them in photos..  If you're a collector looking for a perfect, virgin instrument to hang as a decoration, the dings on the back might put you off but if you're looking for an exceptional, singing A-league fretless with incredible tone/playability and a stunning finish, this is the fretless you need!

Brand new to build they're about £2750-2800, i’m asking £1000 plus postage.

I've included a recording of the bass, a cover of a Nick Drake tune called 'From the morning' Jaco/Joni style, so you can hear the tone DI-ed. 

I'm also throwing in a soft case from Overwater (missing a small buckle on the top pocket)

J

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

nick drake fretless demo 2.mp3

Edited by hestan
Price drop
  • Like 1

Bump!

(apologies i've been on tour in Europe and far east for 4 months but back in the UK at home for 3 weeks and looking to sell several items)

I loved that nick drake cover. It reminded me of the tone of one of my favourite fretless players, Alain Gentry. Wish I had the money, but good luck.

7 hours ago, Brook_fan said:

I loved that nick drake cover. It reminded me of the tone of one of my favourite fretless players, Alain Gentry. Wish I had the money, but good luck.

Thanks mate, had a couple of interested parties, will keep everyone posted. :)

By 'ecky thump, that's a mad bargain. If you know Overwater basses you already know this! If not, think USA Deluxe then some.

I was using my 5er fretless from that very stable in a Leeds studio this week, much to the approval of both the client and the ex-UB40 soundman studio owner.

Now an even madder bargain by the looks of it.. the kind of bass that makes me wish I was in the market for a 4 string fretless!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By steve-bbb
      US Deluxe 4 string for sale - body is immaculate no dents dings or scratches - 2017 - has had luthier work to correct neck alignment - unfortunately this left the fender factory in a bit of a state that should have ideally not passed their QA checks - the bridge was quite misaligned so much so that the G string was almost off the edge of the fretboard and the E  string way too far in - it was checked over by Simon at 81guitarworks.co.uk who reset the neck but the bridge was so misaligned that it could not be adjusted and maintain the alignment of the through body holes - so to save a major faff and expense of removing the ferrules and plugging and re-drilling the holes we opted for the option of a replacement fender hi-mass bridge  - just to clarify ... the neck itself was not warped or twisted in any way it was and still is absolutley fine, the problem was the lateral alignement of the bridge and poor setting of the neck into the neck pocket at the factory
      currently strung with a set of 45-105 swingbass and hardly played since the work was carried out earlier in the year - reason for sale is that i bought this to replace my sandberg cali which i was forced to sell - fortunately for me the guy i sold it to called me to offer me first refusal on buying it back when he decided to swap it for a change - so i got my sandberg back and can no longer justify keeping this one sat around in the box unplayed
      plays very well - slightly thicker/rounder profile neck than the slimline geddylee styles - active/passive with noiseless pickups - i was wondering at first what the pups would be like being a staunch wizard fan that i am but the fender N3 noiseless pups are very impressive and does all the usual jazz tones you would expect
      finsih is gloss olympic white - originally had a black guard but this was swapped out for a tort which looks much better with the oly white - back of neck is satin finish not hi gloss
      case is the new style fender case - comes with two unused keys and all the usual case candy - also will supply the original black guard and the original bridge and a set of straplocks which i dont use/need
      reluctant to courier this and would prefer to deal in person if possible - happy to take cash payment or bank transfer (not paypal) - viewing/inspection available weekday evenings and anytime weekends (ME7 postcode) i have rig here you can try it through or if you prefer to bring your own head i have a pair of hydrive 112's
      sorry not looking for any trades as am currently thinning the herd - thanks for viewing
      sorry but would not be prepared to sell/courier outside UK
      £895
      update - think will withdraw this for now as nobody will be buying a month before christmas

• By tricky
      2000 Musicman Stingray, Vintage Sunburst, Unlined fretless Pau Ferro fingerboard
      The body, neck and headstock are in fabulous condition.  It has had roundwound strings on it.. and because of this, shows some slight marks on the board, they are only slight though and this doesn't affect playability in any way 
      Comes with either a fairly tired gigbag or a fairly new generic tweed hard case (up to you)
      You're absolutely welcome to come and try at my studios in Stockport..  days, evenings or weekends
      I'd prefer a straight sale but feel free to send trade offers 
      Price drop to  £850 
      £800.00

• By FretlessKing
      As much as it pains me i'm selling my 2007 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass that I've owned since 2010. This is only due to my recent purchase from another Basschat member of a tasty AVRI jazz that hasn't been put down since purchased. I'm definitely a passive bass guy!
      It began life as a fretless, and while it sounded lovely I needed a fretted jazz, so had it fretted by Jacks Instrument Services in Manchester around 2 years back. They're super professional guys and they did a really nice job. 
      It has the slightly smaller body and hipshot tuners, so feels pretty light on the shoulder.
      Equipped with a versatile 3 band EQ and noiseless pickups.
      The nitro finish has started to check really nicely in the years i've had it. Theres a subtle gold sparkle in the black paint which looks great with the gold pickguard. I look after my instruments but there are a few small dings and buckle rash, (i've tried to show in the photos) which is to be expected on a workhorse of a bass that I've gigged with extensively.
      Plays super nicely with a low action (again Jacks setup was sublime) and is currently stung with D'Addario NYXL 45-105.
      Feel free to come and give it a spin, I'm based in South Manchester. I could arrange a courier if you wanted but would be at the buyers risk and expense so collection would be preferred.
      TRADES: barefaced BB2 or SC, or korg minilogue (try me with anything synth related!) + cash
      Any questions drop me a message! 

• By Chris2112
      Hello, 
      I am considering selling my 1994 Pedulla Pentabuzz bass. I bought this bass in late summer 2017 through Basschat, and owning one was a goal and a dream come true but the reality is, I always tend to grab a fretted bass first. A change is as good as a rest, so I thought I'd offer this up tentatively for sale or trade to see if anything should take my fancy (fretted basses only). 
      This 1994 Peacock Blue Pedulla Pentabuzz comes with the original branded hard case, which is well-used but in good working order. The bass also comes with the Pedulla truss rod tool, though aside from having the bass set up a year ago, I haven't needed to use it. 
      The bass comes with the proprietary Bartolini electronics, namely a P/J pickup set and active preamp (controls for balance, volume and active tone control). The bass is 34" scale, with the original gold hardware. The wings are solid flamed maple and the fretboard is ebony, coated with the proprietary Pedulla Polyester treatment. It looks like glass and gives a distinctive tone. I'm not sure on the weight, and despite it's relatively small proportions it isn't a lightweight instrument due to the maple body. The balance is excellent, testament to Michael Pedulla's excellent design. Edit: weight as per the listing when it sold through Bass Direct is 4.7kg.
      The bass is in good condition though has obviously been a player rather than a case queen. This is reflected in the price. Before I had the bass, the previous owner had it cleaned and set up. The notably thin Pedulla clearcoat had worn in a few places on the body and neck, these were sealed over and feel as smooth as satin. There are a few small minor dings, and the control knobs are a little worn and slightly stiff (I never touch them, but I expect anyone with a desire to do so could take them off with an Allen key and lubricate inside, if not replacing outright). 
      The bass plays very well with a low action, and I have adjusted the pickup height to balance the volume. When I bought the bass, the bridge pickup was notably quieter than the neck pickup, though since I never use the neck pickup when playing this was a quirk that I didn't address for some time. 
      I can ship in the UK and Europe at the buyer's cost and with adequate insurance. I will entertain any trade offer as I don't have anything particular in mind other than a thought that I would find more use for a fretted bass than a fretless. I do have a particular fondness for anything with a bit of graphite in it, but other than that I am open to ideas. 

A few pictures (including some from when it was sold at Bass Direct before I got hold of it). 

• By Cuzzie
      This is a one off custom bass - I don’t think you will see another.
      Old shape California TT4
      Fully Passive with Haüssel pick ups - very meaty sounding.
      Controls are Vol/balance/tone.
      Maple Neck with matching reverse headstock.
      Hard Core Aged.
      Currently strung with TI Flats which are practically brand new.
      Nut width 39mm
      Weight 3.7 - 3.9kg on kitchen/bathroom scales - defo under 4kg and balances very well

This is a great looking and more importantly sounding bass, there is no doubt about it.

Reason for sale - too many basses.

Happy to receive offers - please no ridiculous ones, it’s not a fire sale.

Trades - I’d consider a Stingray Special for sure, and you can try me out for other stuff too.

Shoot me a message if interested. 
      If you are happy to pay, I will post worldwide neck on or off at your preference and cost.
      It will be well packaged.