Why become a member? ×

(SOLD) Stunning Overwater J-Series Fretless 4 Str + Overwater Gig Bag ***PRICE DROP to £900***
£1500

hestan

******£900 plus postage********

I’m selling my stunning Overwater J-Series 4 str fretless.

SPECS:

34" scale
4.4 kg
Controls:
Volume, Pickup blend, and 3 way Overwater Tone control (bass thick outer ring, mids top ring, then pull out top ring for top end)

It’s an incredible bass, I had custom built for me by Overwater in 2005, with translucent blue quilted maple finish and ebony fretboard.  It sounds amazing: i've rarely played any fretless that sings like  this one, without the harsh zingy sound of some cheaper brands.

I used the bass on the West End show Stephen Ward cast recording in 2013, as well on the show itself (for 5 months), but otherwise it stayed in the studio.

It does have a few dings from the 5 months I mentioned in the tiny Orchestra pit at the Aldwych (quick bass changeovers) but luckily they’re mainly on the back and sides.  (I've highlighted them in the photos.)  If you're a collector looking for a perfect instrument to hang as a decoration, the dings on the back might put you off but if you're a player looking for an exceptional, singing fretless with incredible tone/playability and a stunning finish, this will blow your mind!

Brand new to build they're about £2750-2800, i’m asking £950 plus postage.

I've included a recording of the bass, a cover of a Nick Drake tune called 'From the morning' Jaco/Joni style, a good example of the DI tone.

I'm also throwing in a soft case from Overwater (missing a small buckle on the top pocket)

J

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

nick drake fretless demo 2.mp3

Edited by hestan
Sold
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

Bump!

(apologies i've been on tour in Europe and far east for 4 months but back in the UK at home for 3 weeks and looking to sell several items)

7 hours ago, Brook_fan said:

I loved that nick drake cover. It reminded me of the tone of one of my favourite fretless players, Alain Gentry. Wish I had the money, but good luck.

Thanks mate, had a couple of interested parties, will keep everyone posted. :)

• 2 weeks later...

By 'ecky thump, that's a mad bargain. If you know Overwater basses you already know this! If not, think USA Deluxe then some.

I was using my 5er fretless from that very stable in a Leeds studio this week, much to the approval of both the client and the ex-UB40 soundman studio owner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Some info on the pickups  ?

I believe they were custom made for Overwater in 2005 when I commissioned the build (possibly by John East).  If you're interested I could contact Chris May and find out from their order records. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...