Why become a member? ×

New Amp/Cab Day: Mesa and Tweedy BF

Kev

34 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Looking good Kev! But she-itt that’s an expensive head!! I’m guessing you have other cabs too, as that’s quite a lot of wattage there for the One10?

In 2ohm mode its only putting out 320w, so should be just fine.  In any case, unless I buy a second One10 and consider actually gigging it, it wont be pushed at all :)

I've actually just sold my Berg setup as I haven't gigged with my own cabs for over 12 months, venues I play in the circuit almost always provide a backline with full PA support so for me its mostly amp head to FoH the punters are hearing.  Should the need to have my own backline arise again, as I say I may buy a second One10 and see if it can cope, if not Ill get something cheap and heavy I can stick in the shed and not have taking up valuable space in  the house!

Intend to take this little setup to rehearsal soon and stretch its legs a little.  I'm also agonising over whether this Mesa can replace my other amp (Darkglass M900); initial signs are looking that way for sure, but we shall see at proper levels!

@Al Krow Providing the D800 was there or there abouts tone/power wise, the M9 was always going to struggle to win that head to head as size and weight is pretty important for me at the moment.  That being said, The D800 certainly has the Carbine vibe tone wise.  Voicing knob doesn't cover ground that position 4 and 5 cover on the M9, but they were always too mid heavy for me anyway.  I use a Cali76 so I don't miss the built-in compressor, and the B7KU preamp pedal I used gives me additional EQ control I lose over the M9. However, lets see what happens when I turn it up :)

Spent some more time with this, I'm really loving this little rig.  The cab seems to correct everything I didn't like about the 'tone'  (or lack of) of the Big/Super cabs; the subtle eq curve of this speaker is really pleasing and surprisingly (or not given the ampeg vibe) works really well with my distorted lines. I found the other BF cabs I have owned simply too clinical and found they really didn't work well with distortion without heavy EQing.  I will be trying this out in rehearsal and looking into whether or not a dual One10 rig would be enough to actually use with Barbikan, but that being said I still don't envisage a gig where a backline/PA isn't provided.   The Mesa is really impressive tonally, used with the Darkglass B7KU I find myself with a much more flexible setup than the M900 alone.  I really, really like the Voice knob and deep switch. 

I also don't think I have ever spent so long gazing and admiring a rig!  xD

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

So are the one ten and two ten the barefaced cabs for players who don’t particularly like the harsh modern tones of their earlier offerings?

i heard a demo of the two ten and was really impressed with what I heard... the finish looks a lot better than I had previously seen as well...

Would you say they seem to be aimed at the more traditional finger style/pick player

Never though I would say this but i am tempted to try one out!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IanA said:

So are the one ten and two ten the barefaced cabs for players who don’t particularly like the harsh modern tones of their earlier offerings?

i heard a demo of the two ten and was really impressed with what I heard... the finish looks a lot better than I had previously seen as well...

Would you say they seem to be aimed at the more traditional finger style/pick player

In a nutshell, yes to all.

Just now, Kev said:

Spent some more time with this, I'm really loving this little rig.  The cab seems to correct everything I didn't like about the 'tone'  (or lack of) of the Big/Super cabs; the subtle eq curve of this speaker is really pleasing and surprisingly (or not given the ampeg vibe) works really well with my distorted lines. I found the other BF cabs I have owned simply too clinical and found they really didn't work well with distortion without heavy EQing.  I will be trying this out in rehearsal and looking into whether or not a dual One10 rig would be enough to actually use with Barbikan, but that being said I still don't envisage a gig where a backline/PA isn't provided.   The Mesa is really impressive tonally, used with the Darkglass B7KU I find myself with a much more flexible setup than the M900 alone.  I really, really like the Voice knob and deep switch. 

I also don't think I have ever spent so long gazing and admiring a rig!  xD

It was the same for me regarding the 12" and their 'retro' 10" series. I actually owned a 2nd gen Compact first (15") and then two BB2. I liked them but I was never really crazy about them. They were great in that they were light, compact, and loud, and they sounded ok... but sound was where I didn't love them. I tried a Two10 and that changed everything. I now have two Two10, and a Mesa D800+ (I tried a D800 for a bit but the 'bright' switch on the D800+ and the HPF especially were worth the upgrade for me).

The 'baked in' tone of the Two10 cabs (and I assume the OneTen and the others) is very nice to my ears. There's tons of treble if you want it, but it is hard to get it to sound brittle and ugly, and the bottom end is big and strong but tight and it doesn't get boomy easily. They're great for lazy people like me who wants to find a good sound quickly without much fuss. I've used the Mesa + Two10 combination (one or two cabs, depending) quite a bit by now, and they've never made me doubt my choice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IanA said:

They were initially branded as "Retro series", but that was dropped quickly. Because of that "Retro" name, I stayed away from them and tried other cabs, and spent quite a bit on other brands (I already had a couple of BF BB2 cabs that I was looking to replace). Eventually I tried a Two10, and I realised that the Retro name was doing the cabs a disservice. It is true that they don't have the very bright high treble some other cabs may have (usually with tweeters/horns). However, they cover a very wide range, in practice. They're able to reproduce a bright clanky Precision + pick type of sound, a great Jazz slap tone, or a fat and big classic 70s rock tone if your amp produces those tones... and many other sounds. The difference I found with the BB2, for example, was that with the BB2 I was playing with my EQ a lot more to get the sound I wanted, and I would have to be careful to avoid harsh treble, or overpowering nasal mids, or boomy low end: those things are beasts, and in the hands of someone with the time and inclination they can sound superbly. Me? I want to get a good sound quickly. I often don't have time for extended soundchecks and I need to work fast. I play various things in various bands, funk, ska/reggae and I'm even in a Rage Against The Machine tribute band with a lot of effects and overdrive etc [1]... and despite the variety of sounds required, I always get something very good very quickly, whether I use a Stingray or a Precision (or rarely a Jazz). Obviously, this is in great part because the sound I'm after is a sound these speakers can do very well, so your personal taste may differ... but the sounds in my head are pretty standard classic bass sounds, and with either a Mesa D800+ or a MarkBass LM3 (quite different heads) I get the right sound easily. 

[1] TimC appears to be using 10-series BF cabs these days, but I didn't choose mine based on that. It was just an interesting case of convergent evolution ;)

23 hours ago, IanA said:

IME the sound you get out of these cabs is what you put in. The sound of your bass, amp and EQ will come out at the other end with amazing clarity with enough volume to easily fill the room. I have to own up, I'm not a great player, just traditional finger style player, trying to play all styles from Reggae to Rock and everything in between.

I have 2 Super Compacts and can make them either sound vintage or modern-ish. With my TH500 they sound full, round and meaty. When I use my AG700 and the sound is full, fat and punchy. The SC's are the first cabs I've owned in 20 years that haven't had tweeters. In the year I've been using them I haven't missed the tweeter at all. I use my SC's as the backline in a jam night so I get to hear all styles and types of players, from 60's Soul to manic twang-sters and the SC's cover it all nicely.

I've only done 1 gig with my Two10 and One10 (310) and the AG700 and that just sounded like my bass. It was a little tighter and punchier than the SC's but happily sounded like I was using a much bigger rig.  I am seriously considering a second Two10.