Why become a member? ×

Made the cut!

Highfox

Few! I'm down to 4 basses from 7 now :)

2 Precisions, and 2 old Ibanez's the ATK and a fretless Musician.

Do I have GAS under control at last? One new incoming in the early new year, but been waiting the better part of 20 months for that.

Anyone else cutting or collecting?

Tell us what you have coming?

Edited by Highfox

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I admire anybody who can successfully downsize. Just as I think I've got the GAS under control something else will come along to fill the gap I've made. 

That sounds familiar, I got down to 4 but will be back up to 7 by Christmas, then 8 when I finish the one I am building.

I've owned 130+ basses in the last 30 years but the most I have had at one time was 7.

Until yesterday I was at 2 - my Sterling and a cheapy Lindo fretless for using in the house. I am now up to 3

I had no intention of buying another bass but the price, the reviews and the fact that i'd never owned a Gibson before made the decision easy

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

That sounds familiar, I got down to 4 but will be back up to 7 by Christmas, then 8 when I finish the one I am building.

Haha! And there was me just a few days back holding you up as a model of 'more time on fretboard / less time getting and replacing gear'. Clearly I spoke too soon! So you said you had a very busy job, lots of bass practice and still getting and making gear (impressive). The only way you're squaring this circle is that you've decided to abandon sleep as being a waste of time...:D

Just now, Al Krow said:

Haha! And there was me just a few days back holding you up as a model of 'more time on fretboard / less time getting and replacing gear'. Clearly I spoke too soon! So you said you had a very busy job, lots of bass practice and still getting and making gear (impressive). The only way you're squaring this circle is that you've decided to abandon sleep as being a waste of time...:D

xD to be fair I have been bought two of the new acquisitions so I didn’t spend a great deal of time looking for them and another one ‘found’ me as it were. The one I am making will mostly be done at work when I get I early in the morning before I start, it’s only 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week but it all adds up.

Got rid of a cab that I was using, just because it was excessive having two fifteens at every gig and the Mrs hated them cluttering the spare room. I also have shifted some pedals, more may go, and got rid of one of my four basses. I'm tempted to get another bass but I don't know what I would get that wouldn't push out one of the existing three. Waiting until January sales to see if there's a bargain to be had but not holding my breath.

I'm down to just three basses these days (a P bass, a Jack Casady and a Yamaha BB).

I know its not cool on a forum like this, but I hate having stockpiled gear I don't use. Puts me on edge when i think of the money tied up in gear that's not out earning its keep.

There's a few keepers among my bits of gear which aren't for sale mainly for sentimental reasons (or just because they aren't worth much to sell) but I'm certainly resisting buying anything more at the moment.

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

Few! I'm down to 4 basses from 7 now :)

2 Precisions, and 2 old Ibanez's the ATK and a fretless Musician.

Digging deep into my skills with mathematics ( not ) i make that 5 basses , down from 7

Then again,  i'm not known for my dexterity in subtraction

45 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

GET OUT!

I know, it’s heresy isn’t it? I’ve calculated that I’ve owned hundreds of guitars, instruments, amps and pedals and I still use the same guitar I bought in 2003. 

The best thing about Basschat is that I’ve never lost a penny on my gear. So it’s a cost neutral indulgence, and I’ve got to meet some great people too.

But, enough is enough! (Until next week)

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Digging deep into my skills with mathematics ( not ) i make that 5 basses , down from 7

Then again,  i'm not known for my dexterity in subtraction

Sorry I wasn't more clear, 2 Fender P's and 2 Ibanez's (the Ibanez's are an ATK and Musician)

I only really started to get back into playing about this time last year after a 10 year break. At that time I just had my trusty 99 Warwick Corvette, by the end of April I was up to five having bought a Thumb, an Overwater, a Corvette $$ and a Precision. Now i am back down to two, I still have the old Corvette and I have kept the Thumb which has become my main bass these days.

But in the last month or so since I have been spending more time on this bloody forum, its just Gas Gas Gas!...    I've missed out on so many shiny things in the last 10 years.

I think we need some sort of GAS support group, or a sub forum where we can trade body parts for Bass's or something.

Edited by JBP

10 minutes ago, JBP said:

I only really started to get back into playing about this time last year after a 10 year break. At that time I just had my trusty 99 Warwick Corvette, by the end of April I was up to five having bought a Thumb, an Overwater, a Corvette $$ and a Precision. Now i am back down to two, I still have the old Corvette and I have kept the Thumb which has become my main bass these days.

Good man! So what's the plan for 2018 in terms of music - you getting back into gigging?

From a peak of (I think!) 16 instruments - 9 guitars and 7 basses - around 6 years ago I now have 7 in total, including just 1 bass (my much-loved SeiBass Original 5 headless).

And a banjo. Oh, and a knackered old mandolin that I promised my cousin I'd have a look at a year or two ago... :/

I've never been a collector as such, so although I have (and have had) some classic instruments the driving criterion was that they should all pay for themselves as an absolute minimum. With a couple of exceptions I'm pretty sure I succeeded. Now that I don't use them to earn a living I don't need so many, and in truth it was getting to be a bit of a ballache to carefully transport them everytime we moved.

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good man! So what's the plan for 2018 in terms of music - you getting back into gigging?

I've thrown myself right back into it, been back in a Rock/metal covers band for the last six months or so, and i've also recently started gigging with  a Jazz/Funk quartet. Even changed my work, I've run my own Locksmiths company for the last 10 or more years, but I have packed that in and now I'm back to teaching, Music, Bass, Guitar and Ukulele full time. I've been kinda lucky the wife runs her own music school, teaching piano and GCSE music for home schooled kids, so we kinda dropped one business and expanded the other. So far its going really well.

I teach for a living and play for fun and beer money... couldn't be happier :D

• Like 1

I'm kind of lucky in that there isn't masses of choice for a lefty, if I was right handed I would probably have more basses. I was very happy with just one bass for years, and it would be possible to go back to that. I think it's easy now to collect a few low-mid range basses but is it worth it? Would it not be best to have a "beater" and a "prized possession" and nothing else? I don't know. I'm still looking for the prized possession

24 minutes ago, JBP said:

I've thrown myself right back into it, been back in a Rock/metal covers band for the last six months or so, and i've also recently started gigging with  a Jazz/Funk quartet. Even changed my work, I've run my own Locksmiths company for the last 10 or more years, but I have packed that in and now I'm back to teaching, Music, Bass, Guitar and Ukulele full time. I've been kinda lucky the wife runs her own music school, teaching piano and GCSE music for home schooled kids, so we kinda dropped one business and expanded the other. So far its going really well.

I teach for a living and play for fun and beer money... couldn't be happier :D

Fantastic, that sounds wonderful and great to hear. Well I'm not far up the road from you (ok so we're technically in a different time zone etc. norf of da riva, but they should be abolishing passport checks on the bridges / tunnels and introducing full regulatory alignment shortly, or so I hear) and I'd love to come by and hear your jazz / funk quartet sometime soon. Please do pm with some gig dates in 2018 when you and the band are playing!