Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR505 vs Yamaha TRBX505

Tugmonkey

Hi guys, recently decided I want to make the jump from 4 to 5 strings. I've played my P bass for about a year now, but feel like I want to try a different favour of bass, something more modern with plenty tonal options. 

After looking at basses within my budget, I think I've narrowed it down to the 2 mentioned in the title. But I feel I'm at a bit of a stalemate in my decision making process. 

On one hand, I really enjoy the look and sound of the Ibanez, but my main concern is string spacing. I'm worried I won't take to it as well, and it may pose as a problem for slapping down the road. I do like the 3 way mid switch though. 

The yamaha, has the wider string spacing, active/passive switching... But it doesn't have as nice a look as the Ibanez, in my opinion of course. 

They both seem quite versatile, and playing in a cover band, that's important. Although I know there is more to playing thay how it looks, the difference that creates is, the nicer the bass looks, the more excited I am to play both, and I feel more inspired while playing. That might seem a bit daft, but it does have a minor effect.

So the reason I'm here, is to ask what your guys thoughts are on the two, what experiences have you had or little nugget of advise can you pass on about either or both basses. 

Cheers! 

Two of my favourite makes of bass!

The PUPs will also make a big difference here.

The Ibby Barts on the 'standard' models are ok but the Nords on the SR Premium range (and the Barts on the Prestige range) tend to be very well regarded. For that reason I'd personally get a second hand (or a new!) SR Premium over a new SR Standard every time.

The Yammy pups carry quite a mid range punch on their BB series, I'm less familiar with the TRBX series.

Where are you based - if you can get to Central London Wunjos stock Ibbys and the Yamaha centre is 10 minutes away so you will be able to A/B then in store (which I appreciate isn't always the most revealing, but definitely better than buying 'blind'!)

I tried the SR 505 in my hunnt to break into 5 string. It was my first choice as I already have the SR 500 which is a fantastic bass . Unfortunately I couldn't play a thing on the 505. The string spacing was way too tight for my fingers. The weight and baance were fine but for me it was unplayable.

Not tried the TŔBX but have tried the BB425 and that was easier to play but ultimately I realised quite quickly I don' get on with 5 strings.