Why become a member? ×

Spector v Rickenbacker

Bassforradio

I had a 4001  briefly some years ago, it was just bloody uncomfortable to play, and if you like the Spector you may have the same experience. I would definitely say try before you buy,  you never know you may love it.

Edited by JBP
  • Like 1

They both have their own sound and you'll probably like one more than the other. Great bass work has been recorded with both.

That being said I don't think I could ever own a Ricky. I find the owner far too objectionable. If I did find one I really wanted I'd have to buy used to make sure he didn't get any money. And then I'd probably change the logo to make it look like a copy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Never played a Spector but been casually looking,by accounts they are quite chunky,neck wise.I owned a 1980 4001 and the neck was slim almost parallel as you went up to the body.This puts the Spector in the gang with Wal,Ibanez musicians etc as great basses if you like the big necks.Loved my Rick and i fancy a new one,my old one needed about a grand spending on it by a trusted guy to get it playing as well as it looked.I'm a believer in tone coming from your hands .

• Like 1

They're very, very different basses in every possible way, but there's no such thing as better, only better for you. As a case in point, I had a Euro LX and to be honest I didn't really like anything about it. Ergonomics didn't suit me at all, I thought the neck was way too big and the sound one-dimensional, whereas my two main basses are 1972 Ric 4001s (I've had about 15 Rics).  Ricks can vary a great deal though so you'd need to try a few and you may actually get on better with a recent 4003 or 4004. Or you may hate them all! Ultimately only you can decide.

• Like 3

Can't compare the two in any meaningful way. I can only post my own experience, which is that every single Ric I've ever played has been a dog. I'm quite prepared to accept that I've just been unlucky, however.

I owned a Euro4 Spector for a while and loved everything about it except the colour. Great sound, great ergonomics and playability, great build quality. Very versatile too, and really what an active bass is all about. I'd get another one today if I could justify the expense.

Mind you, a lot of very famous songs have been recorded with a Ric and they do look amazing. In an ideal world I'd have one in my arsenal, but I'd need to spend time playing as many as possible to find 'the one'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Never played a Spector but been casually looking, by accounts they are quite chunky, neck wise.

Can't agree with that. My Euro tended towards a Jazz rather than a P neck. Mind you, that was coming from a 1.75" nut-width P Bass, so...

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

I'm a believer in tone coming from your hands .

I can agree with this, however. It's a controversial stance, mainly because people who don't think that tone comes from your fingers don't get their tone from their fingers... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Can't agree with that. My Euro tended towards a Jazz rather than a P neck. Mind you, that was coming from a 1.75" nut-width P Bass, so...

I can agree with this, however. It's a controversial stance, mainly because people who don't think that tone comes from your fingers don't get their tone from their fingers... :)

Quite. My fingers don't have compressors and envelope filters in them. And for some strange reason my fingers can't make a set of rounds sound like flats.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, discreet said:

I owned a Euro4 Spector for a while and loved everything about it except the colour. Great sound, great ergonomics and playability, great build quality. Very versatile too, and really what an active bass is all about. I'd get another one today if I could justify the expense.

I have a Korean built neck through NS2a which is as well built as the two Euro LXs that I owned which is why I still have it and have sold the others - the Korean ones don't come up very often but I'd snap it up if another came along. One of the best "cheap" basses I've owned.

• Like 1

love my 1975 4001.  If it had one more string it would probably still be my main bass.

Slim, fast thru-neck, punchy sound, and more versatility than it's given credit for.

That said, it is what it is. The slimness of the neck can be a problem for some, it can be a bit thin sounding and a lot of the versatility in the sound on mine comes from a mod on the electrics that someone did before I bought it (independent volume controls on each pickup when both are selected).  My main bass is now a Warwick Stage 1 (queue jokes about that really being a Spector) and if I was blind testing them, the extra string aside, I'd probably pick the Warwick, as it's got more depth to the sound.

Where are you Bassforradio?  If you're anywhere close to Surrey PM me and you'll be welcome to pop round and give my Rick a try

36 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

...for some strange reason my fingers can't make a set of rounds sound like flats.

An audio clip I posted on TB got a response from someone who asked which flats I was using. I was using rounds. However I don't ascribe this to any weird skill on my part - I think he probably needed his ears syringing...

Edited by discreet

41 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Quite. My fingers don't have compressors and envelope filters in them. And for some strange reason my fingers can't make a set of rounds sound like flats.

Yeah but we're talking comparing one bass to another,as in before you faff on to your hearts content on stuff that a lot of the time is lost by the time the band kick in.I had a 4001 and managed a nice flat bluesy tone no problem

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

One is stylish, well designed, well balanced, plays peachy and is versatile...

The other is a Rick...

This! xDxD

The Spector has a much wider tonal palette, including a lot more low-end heft (should it be required). Build quality and attention to detail is second to none (as is their customer service) and it is also one of the most comfortable basses you can play....

I've always wanted to own/like a classic Jetglo Ricky but in my experience there are LOTS of poor quality ones around, they're not particularly comfortable to play and, apart from THAT sound, there's not a lot to them that justifies their overinflated prices.

It's unfortunate that the 'Ricky' hate clouds the debate.....understandable on the basis of the objectionable owner but if we compare just the basses and not their 'baggage'.  However, I think these 2 basses are very different animals coming from different design points and eras.  I've played both and for my sins still have a Rick.  Ergonomically they both have flaws, I don't like the bridge pup cover on a Rick (and the fact you have to fill the hole when you take it off) and I don't like the fact that the 1st fret feels a mile away (to me) on the Spector.  I can't comment on quality, I've only had 2 Ricks (my current 4003 and a previous 4004Cii) and both are/were top notch build but I understand others have had different experiences.  On a bass at this price level though I'd never trust to luck and would always play before buying.

On the sound side, they are very different, I agree the Spector has more flexibility but they are far more flexible than most basses conceived in the 50s/60s.  The 4003 is fairly flexible, at least as good in this respect as a Jazz and it has THAT sound as Cetera has previously said.

Price wise I think anything from the US is overpriced at the minute - the £/$ doesn't help here.  But in terms of the Rick not being worth it.....only the OP can decide that, FWIW I wouldn't pay over £2k for one but I wouldn't pay over £2k for any bass.

I've never played a Spector, and tbh, but I have played a few Ric's, and owned a 4003 for a few years (had to sell it thanks to the recession ☹ ).

Anyway, Ric's are versatile, have plenty of bottom end, and since the mid 90's, have been pretty consistent quality wise (the one's I've played anyway). From 2006 they all come with the Vintage Circuit on board. Yes, some people find them awkward to play and can't get on with the ergonomics of them. You do have to adjust your playing style slightly to get the most from them, and most hate the bridge pickup cover. I like them, and would love another. If you don't want to give any money to the company, buy a second hand one.

Have you considered a 4004? More modern looks, humbuckers, Schaller bridge, more rounded edges front & back. Worth tracking down.

Definitely try one before you think about buying one.

2 hours ago, cetera said:

This! xDxD

The Spector has a much wider tonal palette, including a lot more low-end heft (should it be required). Build quality and attention to detail is second to none (as is their customer service) and it is also one of the most comfortable basses you can play....

I've always wanted to own/like a classic Jetglo Ricky but in my experience there are LOTS of poor quality ones around, they're not particularly comfortable to play and, apart from THAT sound, there's not a lot to them that justifies their overinflated prices.

You see, this is the problem. Cetera loves Spectors and I love Rics (well, many of them) and his experiences of both are pretty much the opposite of mine, so you need to decide for yourself. As you like the Spector you've got, you're probably more likely to align with his experiences, but not necessarily. You may really like both, for completely different reasons. I always use the argument that asking someone what instrument is best is like asking them what shoes are comfiest. They haven't got your feet, so ultimately it's a bit of a pointless question.  Go and try some on yourself!:D

The only thing I can add in regard of a Rick is make sure you play it both standing and sitting before you buy one, when I brought the one I have recently sold I didn't heed that advice, I sat on the sellers sofa and really enjoyed playing it, when I can to gigging it I thought it was going to chop my arm off, at the end of the day I just found it too uncomfortable for the way I play, sure you can change the way you play to make it comfortable but I am happy with how I play and don't need to make adjustments for any other basses