Why become a member? ×

"Hired Gun" A Must See on Netflix

Bluewine

Intersting insomuch as I was surprised by how few of the musicians interviewed hadn't been "screwed over" by their employers. Maybe there were plenty with less charitable things to say about the "stars" they played with that could not be included for legal reasons?

However I though it was much too long. Under an hour would have made a much tighter documentary and nothing important to the main narrative would have to have been left out.

Ultimately it re-enforces my opinion that the musicians who do well out of the music business are the ones who also write and/or produce the popular songs. Not the guitarists who play the killer solos.

14 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Thanks Blue I enjoyed that. The main thing I learnt from it was that I'm now glad I didn't make it. I really don't belong in that world. Massive props to those who dived in and managed to swim.

Yeah it's not for everyone.

I would have been a perfect match for it. Now I'm too old for it.

Blue

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Ultimately it re-enforces my opinion that the musicians who do well out of the music business are the ones who also write and/or produce the popular songs. Not the guitarists who play the killer solos.

I think you have to move that bit of info from your "my opinion" folder, to the "MOST DEFINITELY, FACT" folder. 't'as always been so!

Watched it a couple of nights ago, it all became clear when I realised Jason Hook was an executive producer or something. There were so many guys it could have featured and ultimately you’ll never please everyone. FWIW I enjoyed it on the whole, the missus didn’t enjoy the fret wankery as much as me though, but she learned a bit about Randy Rhoades so can’t all be bad ;)

Enjoyed it

Couple of points to comments,

Not everyone who will watch is a muso so "i knew that already" goes out the window.Its a good peep into a world normal punters probably don't think about.The show off jam sessions i thought were good,again its saying "we can turn up plug in and do this !"

BJ does appear ruthless but i think at some point solo guys think i need a change some new people to bounce off.He could of done it better but hey.

it was quite a small bunch it focused on but how many do you talk to? I've seen docs about the Bacarrach guys etc before ,Osbourne etc,then docs about Zappas guys and Peter Gabriels guys .The BBC just did a one about Slick with Bowie and the Stones's guys and Wendy and lisa so its looks like we'll get a big picture over various programmes. I'm doing my Hired hand this weekend with two gigs ,i'll get about 30 of the 100 plus gigs they have in for 2018.Be nice to get a few more but it does me