Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have a Steinberger Spirit XT?

Chiliwailer

I was PM'd by a fellow BCer asking if I could take a pic of the control cavity on my 2018 XT2 as they were considering buying one and fitting an active pup system. There was a suggestion that the cavity was different to the earlier Hohner B2 cavities. Rather than reply directly I thought I would post the pics here in case it helps anyone else in the future. If anyone wants any specific measurements or photos just let me know, its no problem.

20180929_092319.thumb.jpg.6b9c078e09f590550596f32fecf57208.jpg20180929_092340.thumb.jpg.a8690c533e83cd881c538b3e973ad905.jpg20180929_092413.thumb.jpg.bcadbc9158f797d600d97dee76c0ad15.jpg

50 minutes ago, anzoid said:

@blablas - did the jack socket that was in the bass work OK with the BTC system, or did you have to buy a new one? So, is it TRS or just TS for the jack? (And final question...) did you swap out the pups or leave in the Steinberger ones?

@MPU - interesting gadget - do you have more photos?

It’s basically just a 1:1 shape and contour copy of the original Steinberger plate  with simpler mounting. 

60ADF1AA-A85C-4ED8-9A65-CE2A58D5B597.jpeg

I once managed to find and buy a strap hook as used on the Steinberger Synapse basses. Fitted it to a Spirit 4 (or 5) string that I subsequently sold. Was very effective, Wish I'd kept at least the hook :D

@MPU - these look pretty sweet. Can you mount it using the rear strap button hole or does it mean drilling new holes? Also, does it swivel like the originals - i.e. are there other parts required to make the hole thing pivot?

You mount the pivot plate thru the middle hole. A countersunk screw (or bolt if you prefer threaded inserts) and a rubber washer is all that’s needed to mount the plate. The plate svivels and strap mounts to the two remaining holes. Just like the original but with simpler mounting hardware.

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:55, MPU said:

It’s basically just a 1:1 shape and contour copy of the original Steinberger plate  with simpler mounting. 

60ADF1AA-A85C-4ED8-9A65-CE2A58D5B597.jpeg

@MPU any left hand ones?

It's a habit I can't break- I've always played my right hand Steineys with left hand strap pivots but I don't have enough and so end up having to swap them around all the time.

I took a mold of an original Steinberger pivot plate. I’d need an original lefty pivot plate for taking a mold of a lefty. I guess lefties are even more difficult to find than righties. I coul make a lefty, but for one I’d have to make a reverse version of a righty (quite a lot of work as the plate is concave 3d shape) and make a mold of that before making sellable plates. For even some monetary value for time it’s not worth making as I guess there’s not too many buyers for lefties.

Edited by MPU

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

New to this forum and been reading up on the Steinberg Spirit strap mod thingy, having bought an XT25 this week. In agony after using it for a 4-hour rehearsal, I just moved the strap button from the end of the guitar to about 4 inches from the end, and about an inch down from the top (fitted it on back of body) - magic! At least now I can see the lower frets with my failing eyesight, and I'm not playing 2 frets higher than I think I am. Time will tell if it's a comfortable fix, but I'm hoping so!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Kev Jefferies and welcome to the forum!
Sounds like an interesting mod as most other mods seem to go the other way - trying to extend the neck strap button out from the body.

OK, time for the questions...
Have you found moving the strap button to the new position has affected the balance at all? And does it make the strap tight as you've got more of loop going on due to the distance between the strap buttons?

Do you have any photos of the mod plus "in use" on a strap - I don't think I would be the only one who would be interested to hear more about how it's working out and see what it all looks like :D

• 3 weeks later...

Alright chaps

Well I haven't updated because I had such a mare with my XT2. The one I initially received had a siezed truss rod so it went back and its taken months to get a replacement which arrived only last week, and that was only after I had to put the hammer down and start pressurizing people. I won't go into the details but suffice to say I will never buy from DV247 again unless the item is on the shelf and I can walk away with it.

Anyway, I have now fitted Franks carbon strap extension and I have to say its awesome. I fitted it differently to Chiliwailer and used the original strap button as the stop rather than the pivot point. This allows the extension to swivel back behind the body when not in use. I put a felt pads behind the pivot and extension button screws so the extension never makes contact with the body (avoids scratches). I countersunk the extension button screw hole and used a countersunk allen head 3mm bolt, secured with a nyloc nut. I also dremmeled a notch into the extension so it can slot nicely into the stock button. It works really well, and there is zero flex from the 4mm carbon. I measured the difference in body position with and without using the extension - using the top screw of the neck pup as a reference point - it shifted the body around 3". Brilliant.

I am so impressed that I had considered approaching a cabon machinist to see if I can get more extensions made at a reasonable price but I am very mindful that they are Franks design.

A few pics, particulaly note the elbow angle of my fretting hand - very different!

IMG_20181123_102052_244.thumb.jpg.52b98c56cd47d8f309118f98936e8e67.jpgIMG_20181123_102150_953.thumb.jpg.19d6f0e5900f25477319068511eeccf2.jpgIMG_20181123_102525_404.thumb.jpg.5e4397cccc994baf3899c8c918d534a5.jpgIMG_20181123_102359_306.thumb.jpg.0278513965212c8ba2efe543a8716685.jpg

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Alright chaps

Well I haven't updated because I had such a mare with my XT2. The one I initially received had a siezed truss rod so it went back and its taken months to get a replacement which arrived only last week, and that was only after I had to put the hammer down and start pressurizing people. I won't go into the details but suffice to say I will never buy from DV247 again unless the item is on the shelf and I can walk away with it.

Anyway, I have now fitted Franks carbon strap extension and I have to say its awesome. I fitted it differently to Chiliwailer and used the original strap button as the stop rather than the pivot point. This allows the extension to swivel back behind the body when not in use. I put a felt pads behind the pivot and extension button screws so the extension never makes contact with the body (avoids scratches). I countersunk the extension button screw hole and used a countersunk allen head 3mm bolt, secured with a nyloc nut. I also dremmeled a notch into the extension so it can slot nicely into the stock button. It works really well, and there is zero flex from the 4mm carbon. I measured the difference in body position with and without using the extension - using the top screw of the neck pup as a reference point - it shifted the body around 3". Brilliant.

I am so impressed that I had considered approaching a cabon machinist to see if I can get more extensions made at a reasonable price but I am very mindful that they are Franks design.

A few pics, particulaly note the elbow angle of my fretting hand - very different!

IMG_20181123_102052_244.thumb.jpg.52b98c56cd47d8f309118f98936e8e67.jpg

@Chiliwailer Very nice!! But very sorry to hear of your hassles with DV247. Glad they finally came good. My XT2 came from GAK (though they reduced the price about a week after I bought mine... grrrr) and seems OK so far though frets could do with a little bit of attention.

The straphook I acquired from Anygig should also fold back like you've done on yours. It's shorter than the extension, very similar to the straphook on the Steinberger Syna[se but not quite as well made.
When I get round to installing it I'll do some pictures...

@Planemo

That's a nightmare to have such a major fault on a brand new bass, but I'm glad you finally got it sorted.

Great job fitting the extension - it really makes the Steinberger a giggable bass where before the ergonomics of the bass were, for me anyway, very uncomfortable.

Feel free to use my design if you want to.  I just cut myself a template from a Cornflakes box (very hi-tec. :) ) to check and refine the shape and new strap position until I got a design I was happy with.  I started out thinking I would need much thicker carbon fibre.  I considered 10mm but quickly found out that carbon fibre is very strong.

I hope you get as much use and enjoyment from your modified Steinberger as I do.  It's the perfect campervan and small pub gig bass.  I can do small gigs with the Steinberger, Barefaced one10 and GK MB200 amp.  How's that for lightweight and minimal? 😉

Frank.

• Like 1

@machinehead the carbon fibre extension is pretty impressive - is it something you made yourself, as in, at home, or was it outsourced? One thing I like about the Anygig straphook, and also the Steinberger Synapse hook is that you don't get a twist in the strip once you've put the strap on the hook because the end of the strap rest perpendicular to the hook (same as at the strap button at the other end). I'm wondering whether a combo of your extension and the Anygig/Steinberger type hook would be worth making...