Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have a Steinberger Spirit XT?

Chiliwailer

I'd like to see what that extension looks like too
There was a second-hand Spirit in a guitar shop near me the other day
I'm not a huge fan of them, though they do look so portable, and could be very handy - so I walked away thinking about it

I too find the bottom few frets seem like they're miles away - so if you could post a pic of that strap button extender..... it would be much appreciated
For my own lightweight, compact travels, I use a really small, very short-scale Tanglewood "Elfin" which I think is around 25" scale
It's fine, and even sounds like a full size P bass, amazingly enough - but intonation isn't great when playing high up the neck

4 hours ago, machinehead said:

As it happens I think maybe Chiliwailer did too because I never got his address.

Hi Frank, yes I did forget, then I didn’t, then I did again.... and I feel like a complete and utter ar*e for not getting into contact - has it been this long?!!

Big thanks mate, I’d be keen to take you up on this and in the spirit of Mr @kodiakblair donate to you’re fave charity.

PM coming your way :) 

• Like 1

If you want a good headless for not much money you can't beat an old Hohner Jack IMO. Beats the Spirit in my eyes, however they seem to be going up in value these days. I got mine for (I think) £300 from a BCer however I see a lot of them on ebay for around £400 in far worse condition than mine was in (essentially 20 yrs old and not a mark on it).

Many thanks Frank, you're a star. If you do have any pics of the setup too it would be handy, I can PM my email if they cant be posted in this thread.

For your kindness on the item, I will make a donation to Cancer Research, I think its a cause thats close to many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I thought it would pivot at the point where you have placed the strap button, and the carbon plate would then butt up against the stock button. That way it would fold up behind the body wouldnt it? Or am I completely missing something?!

Not sure to be honest. This works really well. I tried flipppng it over but it didn’t balance as well. 

It’s been a long time since I could stand with a bass comfortably so it’s been great to play this afternoon. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

Its cool, no worries bud, whatever works for you is all that matters! I dont think it needs to be flipped, in fact the position you have it is just about where I am trying to describe, the only difference being that if it pivoted where your strap button is, I think the extension would be able to rotate 180 degrees and sit behind the body quite nicely. I just read the post by Frank on the previous page and I think this is what he described.

I might try and find a felt disc for the pivot point to prevent scratches to the body, and maybe a collar to space the extension a little distance from the body to prevent the strap button nut from hitting the body when rotated. I dont have mine yet but will have a look and post pics when done. Good to hear you can now play comfortably standing up! You just need some fancy moves now!

Man at C&A haha!

I agree mate, I am a carbon nut. Many years ago I wanted a carbon briefcase. The only place I could find one was Harrods and I kid you not the price was in the thousands. I ended up taking moulds off the briefcase I had and getting the carbon laid up. Looked awsome when finished, no idea what happened to the case though, got lost somewhere down the line. A carbon bass would be very nice indeed, proper mantlepiece ornament (I am very much into beautiful engineering too).

Not sure if you have seen this...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/winter-2017-build-off-carbon-headless-bass.1259505/

I used to have a stunning Modulus, beautiful layering on those necks, would make good looking luggage too 🤣

That TB thread is breathtaking, serous skills and a stunning bass. My favourite quote was “I don't understand a single one of the steps described.
This is like alien technology to me”

Hi Frank

I got my extension today (my neighbour had taken it in for me!) Many thanks. A query if I may...the instructions you provided with the extension does indeed suggest it is fitted the way that Chiliwailer has done, but this appears different to how you described on the previous page of this thread, where you said that the extension would stop against the original strap button (still in the original place), and a new hole is drilled for the pivot point (rather than the stop point as Chiliwailer has done). This way I think it would allow the extension to swivel all the way round and lie against the back of the bass (and out of sight) when not in use, which I am not sure that Chiliwailers will do. Not sure if I am making sense, but in short if the pivot and stop points were swopped I think it would allow a 180 deg rotation?

• 1 month later...

Frank,

So sorry I havent come back to this thread until now, people must have thought I signed up, got a freebie and done one.

Truth be told my XT2 only arrived 2 days ago, I have had a bit of a mare with DV247 (which still isnt resolved) so I have not yet fitted the extension. I have had a quick look but want to do some more measurements before I fix it up. I am still undecided whether I go Chilies route or try and flip it so it folds away when not in use. However to do the latter would mean having to dremmel out quite a large portion of the carbon to allow the 'swing' so I am not sure how much concern this will cause with the integrity. Hence I need to do a bit more thinking.

In the meantime I did make up a thumbrest (I saw the idea elsewhere some time back, I think it may have even been a BC'er!). I used some alli tube, countersunk the screw holes and heatshrinked it black so it was a bit more stealthy. I did consider fitting a traditional plastic rest but wasnt keen on drilling 2 holes into a brand new bass.

Anyway, thanks again, I will update when I have finally made a decision on the extension and got it fitted.

Cheers

20180926_190656.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

In the meantime I did make up a thumbrest (I saw the idea elsewhere some time back, I think it may have even been a BC'er!).

Yes it's a BC'er.:)

To be more exact... me.;)
DSC_5402.jpg

It's not on this bass any more but I do have a few variations on other basses.
CFQMPUf.jpg\

Y6Ad0RU.jpg

Edited by blablas
  • Like 2

So I was right! Thanks for the tip then Blablas! The ones you have done look really nice, the brushed silver colour looks really good with silver hardware. Actually, I am now thinking I may make up another, the one I have now seems a bit more than I need...the pipe I used was 6mm and I reckon it would look better with thinner pipe - less intrusive. Did you use 5mm? Or maybe even 4mm?

20180927_084402.jpg

• Like 1