Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have a Steinberger Spirit XT?

Chiliwailer

53 minutes ago, anzoid said:

@machinehead the carbon fibre extension is pretty impressive - is it something you made yourself, as in, at home, or was it outsourced? One thing I like about the Anygig straphook, and also the Steinberger Synapse hook is that you don't get a twist in the strip once you've put the strap on the hook because the end of the strap rest perpendicular to the hook (same as at the strap button at the other end). I'm wondering whether a combo of your extension and the Anygig/Steinberger type hook would be worth making...

It was made by myself.  I have a source of cheap off-cuts (basically waste) of carbon fibre sheets.

I know what you mean about the "hook" and I can see some advantage.  I didn't like the idea of not having a strap button though.  I like to use a rubber washer to lock my strap onto the button.  There isn't a twist on the strap if you fit it in line with how it comes off your shoulder.  It's the same orientation as a strap button on a Gibson 335 style guitar.

It would be just as easy to make an extension with a hook if that's your preference.

Frank.

Frank, thanks for clearing the design with me, I didnt want to tread on any toes. It was never going to be something to make any real money out of either, I just felt your design is a great, simple solution for others and there must be a few out there who are struggling with the stock ergonomics. I am not sure it will go anywhere tbh, I have a feeling that most carbon shops would want a minimum order of 50 and I doubt I could justify the cost even for that. We'll see.

Like you say, I find the strap button being in line with the body is perfect as the strap comes off the shoulder in exactly the same plane. Having a button at 90 deg (like most full bodies) would require the strap to also twist 90 deg and so I am not sure I am understanding why the hook type extension would be better in terms of strap angle...

Anzoid - I meant to add that I agree - I am convinced my frets would benefit a full dress as well. Frustratingly, I was able to get a really nice low action on the first XT2 I had. Despite the truss being siezed, it just happened to be at the perfect relief and I got down to about 1.8mm at the 17th (I am a very light player). The one I have now cannot do better than 2.3mm despite many hours making adjustments. The problem is around the 5th and 6th frets and no amount of truss adjustment will get rid of it. I did take it to a local Luthier who did some checks and found a few frets slightly out but in his opinion he didnt think it was too bad at all and basically tried to talk me out of spending £75 for a fret job. He reckoned he had seen far worse on brand new Fenders, and couldnt be happy that if he did do the frets it would be any better. He added that he thought I had set it up very well. I had to admire his honesty but I am now unsure what to do. I am convinced it could be better but part of me is now thinking I am just being too picky. I can definately tell the difference between the 2 XT's I have had though, and I much prefer going as low as possible.

As an aside, I also had to do quite a lot of work on the zero nut - it was waaay too high on all strings. My first one didnt need touching. It does seem that there are QC issues with these XT's. I had contemplated sending my 2nd one back as well but I am now not convinced that a 3rd would be any better, and given the hassle I had with DV247 I have no desire to go through all that again. Maybe I should have just got a used Hohner B2A instead, but I thought I was doing the right thing buying my first brand new bass.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone still following this thread...

Would anybody be interested in a straphook for their XT-2, XT-25, Hohner B2A, etc.?

I have the possibility of placing an order for some properly made and finished straphooks that will shift these basses into a more manageable position for those of us that don't have arms like orangutans.

If there's interest I'll put in an order and put together some packages that would include the straphook, felt washers to go underneath and two screws in black of the right dimensions (the screw on the XT-2 I have wouldn't fit through the hole) and P&P. If you're interested, message me for more details. Would need about 10 people for this to be worthwhile - are there even that many of us who play these??

The metal is not as thick as the Steinberger straphooks, but looks to be about 1.5mm, gives slightly but seems solid enough. The finish is good.

The pictures:

strap_hook.thumb.jpg.2ef549f54cff818539cb912083b13dfe.jpg

strap_hook-2.thumb.jpg.8c4ff787e5b12201e87f7ac13f2e1419.jpg

strap_hook-3.thumb.jpg.d144eaa94bb1da9cae13284a83dc185a.jpg

• Like 1

That looks an excellent job.

How do you find the balance and reach?  I made mine to bring the strap button to fret 12.  This one seems to bring the strap button to fret 16 so I'm just interested if there's much difference between the two.

I hope you get the interest and support for this project.  My extension transformed my Steinberger for standing gigs.  And all my gigs are standing.  :)

Frank.

• 1 month later...

I was following this thread but only recently got a bat headless bass. Less popular end of the market, it’s a Hondo Alien bass.

In any case, I am interested in getting an extension for it. Is there a guide to make your own? Or where can I get a ready made one from?

I may get a leg rest instead/as well. Can these be bought on their own?

• 3 months later...
On 29/09/2018 at 11:36, blablas said:

I installed a EMG stacked BTC preamp in mine and there was room enough for the battery as well. It fits on top of the volume pots with some foam in between.
oP0Na1I.jpg

Hi blablas, I recently bought a XT25 fretless, and looking to replace the electronics. Do you have a ref of the EMG preamp, and did you also replace the PUs? I checked the MEC in my Corvette and they are too high. Cheers 

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2018 at 17:36, anzoid said:

For anyone still following this thread...

Would anybody be interested in a straphook for their XT-2, XT-25, Hohner B2A, etc.?

I have the possibility of placing an order for some properly made and finished straphooks that will shift these basses into a more manageable position for those of us that don't have arms like orangutans.

I know I'm late to this party, but I would be very interested in getting my mitts on one of these.  My XT-25 is the perfect travelling companion, but the playing position is a nightmare.

• 1 month later...

Advanced issues found

On 29/09/2018 at 10:36, blablas said:

I installed a EMG stacked BTC preamp in mine and there was room enough for the battery as well. It fits on top of the volume pots with some foam in between.
oP0Na1I.jpg

Can you share the sound difference? I just bought an XT-25 and want to know if it is worth to upgrade to an active pickup setup

How long does the battery last? I am really sick of my 1996 Marleaux Consat Custom battery life. And It has a compartment like this one with tiny screws which will get lost very quickly. I am planning to replace the battery compartment with a modern housing though

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...