Why become a member? ×

If you could go back in time to one gig, which one?

T-Bay

the one I would like to have been to

1973 ,,,,,,Friday night in Birmingham,,,,,,ive got some chewing gum on my boot and I keep sticking to the stage ,,,,,

englands own  URIAH HEEP

Edited by nikon F

10 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

There's quite a few gigs that people wished they'd seen that I have, Rush, Lizzy, Floyd and several others but I wish I'd seen Zeppelin at Earl's Court and Pink Floyd when they debuted Dark Side in Brighton. 

Dammit - you just reminded about 2 bands i forgot i saw !   Blame the jazz woodbines of my youth

Floyd at Wish You Were Here tour - Knebworth ,  '75 i think

Led Zep  London Ally Pally  - maybe the same year. Brain cells have departed en masse, so not sure of the year. Early / mid 70's fo sho

Michel Petrucciani Trio at the Gaume Jazz Festival in Rossignol on the 16th of August 1992. The place is 15 kilometers from home, and I usually go and see every concert of the festival. That year, I decided not to go even if Michel Petrucciani was playing because the other bands playing didn't catch my attention at all. I heard an interview of Michel Petrucciani saying that his disease wasn't lethal, and thought I'd go elsewhere to hear him play. I waited so long that I never saw him as he died in 1999...

3 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Duke of Edinburgh, Barrow in Furness, 2002. I left a really good extension lead there.

That reminds me - The Rock Garden in Covent Garden, where the Apple store is now, sometime in 1989 when my favourite 'glow in the dark' curly cable went missing. I think someone in one of the other bands must have purloined it when my back was turned.

Saw SPK in the 80's, was a sort of unaudible heavy electro destroy trash metallic music with a cute yelling "singer" , but as I was young I liked it. Einstürzende Neubauten and even Laibach were way more musical but absolutely non communicating with the audience. 

Saw Fad Gadget during the same period, was a strange concert with Frank Tovey making crowd surfing all along the show. :crazy:

I feel strangely old yet...

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Saw SPK in the 80's, was a sort of unaudible heavy electro destroy trash metallic music with a cute yelling "singer" , but as I was young I liked it. Einstürzende Neubauten and even Laibach were way more musical but absolutely non communicating with the audience. 

I've seen Neubauten about 10 times since the early 90s. There's a fair amount of communication these days. Blixa has mellowed out massively.

Laibach are still the same as they ever were.

47 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Saw Fad Gadget during the same period, was a strange concert with Frank Tovey making crowd surfing all along the show. :crazy:

I feel strangely old yet...

They didn’t have the ‘cute’ singer initially, but they did have sheep skulls on sticks, some of which still had their eyes in. I saw Fad Gadget a few times, a much underestimated musician imho.

Agreed for Fad Gadget : underestimated is the word. Just listened to one track of few minutes ago on the radio (Belgian broadcast called "Generation 80"). I've seen SPK just after their massive hit "Metal Dance" and it was the beginning of the end. Still can't find my original 12 inches with this hit nor their first LP I bought called "Leichenschrei". A more than predictive title.

20 hours ago, Mickyk said:

One particular gig that really stands out for me is..Thin Lizzy 1979 spa royal hall Bridlington,right at the front watching Phils very closely trying to work out what he was doing actually playing a Bass with a pick and i'm still useless now nearly 40 years on.......

I saw them at Wembley in '78.  Kind of set the bar  - enjoyed many gigs as much but not sure I have enjoyed any more.  Be nice to go back and see if it was as good as the rose tinted specs recall :)

I always regret never seeing The Cure. My favourite period of theirs was around the release of Disintegration and Wish, and it was just around then that they did a gig at Crystal Palace Bowl in South-East London which was just down the road from me at the time; to this day, I've got no idea why I didn't go and see them and regret not doing so. I know they still do the occasional festival here and there but I've got the feeling that if I see them now, I'm going to leave disappointed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thumperbob 2002 said:

Manchester Apollo 1977. 

Elvis costello and the attractions

richard helll and the voidoids

john cooper clarke

what a great gig and for a boy from the back streets of hull very eye opening to be sure. 

Sure you don't mean the Free Trade Hall on Jan 8th, 1979...?

http://www.elviscostello.info/gigography/concert_69-79.php

Amazing line up, I saw a show on the same tour, in Bath on 29th Dec 1978. The Attractions were amazing, completely lethal, played at 90mph... and I was NOT expecting the Voidoids, a straight shot of CBGB's with Robert Quine on guitar... great. 

Others I'd love to see again... Bowie at Shepherds Bush circa 1997, a wild greatest hits set nobody was expecting; Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham at the Borderline, the most pin-drop music I think I ever witnessed; and Elliott Smith at Glastonbury, with a full band, playing his new Figure 8 album in a far-flung tent to about 100 people...

Pink Floyd at Earls Court 1980.

Overnight train with a few beers on the way, glorious day in Hyde Park with a few beers then the gig. Astounding performance from Pink Floyd with so many famous musicians supporting or involved with the show. Slept in Euston station and train back home in morning. Oh to be 20 again.

Locally it would have been Rush Farewell to Kings tour in Glasgow Apollo Feb 1978. What a show from a band that was only on their 2nd hit album after the success of 2112. Not hugely known in UK at that time but they gave it everything and just seemed to be enjoying themselves so much on stage.

Dave