Why become a member? ×

If you could go back in time to one gig, which one?

T-Bay

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

I saw Rush at the NEC on the 'Hold Your Fire' tour, don't remember a support band, don't think Primus existed then, Les was in Blind Illusion & Larry was still with Possessed.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I saw Rush at Wembly Arena on the Hold your Fire tour, there was no support band there.

Now you can see why I need to go back to this gig, so I know which bloody tour i am watching lol

14 hours ago, bartelby said:

Pop Will Eat Itself, reformation gig at what used to be the Hummingbird, Birmingham 2005

I was at that one, I got the CD of the show as I was leaving.  Genius idea that was, shame the recording quality is awful.

16 hours ago, T-Bay said:

It’s just for fun so whatever you want, I started with one I wasn’t at, but it doesn’t matter either way. 

In that case, I'd like to go back to Fear Factory at the Astoria, on the Obsolete tour.  Or One Minute Silence in MK on the All Out of Bubblegum tour.  Or... or... or...

For gigs I wasn't able to attend at the time...

1. Greenslade at Loughborough University Students Union some time in the mid-70s. I wasn't a student and couldn't persuade anyone to sign me in, so I didn't get to see this gig.

2. The Pretty Things, any time between 1969 and 1976.

3. The Human League, any gig in 1978, 1979 or 1980.

4. Cabaret Voltaire in 1979 or 1980 when Chris Watson was still in the band and one where they didn't suffer from major technical problems.

Gigs I'd like to be able to see again...

1. Young Marble Giants at The Boat Club, Nottingham 1980. (In fact just about any of the gigs I went to in 1980 at either The Boat Club or The Ad-Lib Club. They were all great gigs by bands that were still relatively unknown and so I wasn't able to appreciate at the time just how important some of them would turn out to be).

2. None So Blind any time between 1981 and 1983. Either one of the Nottingham University Buttery Bar gigs, or Chesterfield Art College in December 1983, when I would politely decline their request to do the lighting and be able watch and enjoy the performance from the audience.

6 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

The Pretty Things were at their peak between 1989 to 1995 imho.

Is that when you were in the band? 

My favourite albums are from Parachute to Savage Eye, so that's the material I'd want to have seen them play. The current line up is very good, as their latest album proves, but they rarely play anything that wasn't written in the 60s.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Is that when you were in the band? 

My favourite albums are from Parachute to Savage Eye, so that's the material I'd want to have seen them play. The current line up is very good, as their latest album proves, but they rarely play anything that wasn't written in the 60s.

Might be!!

So I gather. Even in my day it was all the old R'n'B stuff although we did start to introduce some of the SF Sorrow material.

In terms of gigs I missed...

Any XTC gig in their formative years

Thin Lizzy at the Cardiff Capitol 1978, shortly before its demolition (it was a planning thing, nothing to do with Lizzy:D)

MC5 at York Rowing Club, circa 1972. I'm told this happened, but I've been unable to prove it!

And those I'd like to revisit...

Pub rock special at Guildford Civic Hall 1974ish, Feelgoods second on the bill

Ramones/Talking Heads/Saints at the Roundhouse 1977. Wow!

Happy daze

Edited by howdenspur

33 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

So I gather. Even in my day it was all the old R'n'B stuff although we did start to introduce some of the SF Sorrow material.

When this is what the majority of the punters seem to want, I can't really blame them. I've seen them play "Cries From The Midnight Circus" once and apart from that everything else has been SF Sorrow and earlier.

I did speak to Phil May after one of their 40th anniversary gigs about the possibility of doing some of the 70s songs and his reply was that without a 70s biased line-up that wasn't going to happen...

One of... 

The Amy Winehouse gig in Nottingham 2004 when nobody knew who she was so I didn't go, didn't want to go alone. Still kicking myself.

Or the Cold Play gig (before they were really pompous) where a girl I liked from work came with me and I should have told her that I liked her - she knew but sometimes you need to say something!

Or the first gig I ever played. Instead of trying to look like John Entwistle (bored) I should have got more stuck in.

21 hours ago, Si600 said:

I was at that one, I got the CD of the show as I was leaving.  Genius idea that was, shame the recording quality is awful.

I've got the cd too, actually to be totally accurate my sister has had my cd for 11 years.

I went on the first night and the cd is ok, except there's random bursts of noise on the second CD.

As much as I love the new version of PWEI, they're not a patch on the Clint, Graham, Richard, Adam and Fuzz lineup.

• 1 month later...

Either Roger Waters' The Wall show in the Gelredome in 2011, or Rage Against the Machine on the Pinkpop festival in 2008. Both were magical experiences that I would gladly experience all over :D

I'm 34, so I wasn't around when The Wall was released but I grew up going through my dad's record collection all the time. I've had a CD player since I was 12, and a record player since shortly after, and Pink Floyd has always amazed me. I unfortunately never got to see Floyd live, so this was the next best thing. Still doubting if I should buy tickets to the new tour as well.

And Rage Against the Machine was magical in its own way too. Such brutal, raw energy! It was as if they'd never split, I've never experienced a gig so intense before or after. And I've never come home from any other gig with such a stiff and sore neck and throat xD

One of the original Wall shows by Pink Floyd themselves would be even better! 

Edited by LeftyJ

One particular gig that really stands out for me is..Thin Lizzy 1979 spa royal hall Bridlington,right at the front watching Phils very closely trying to work out what he was doing actually playing a Bass with a pick and i'm still useless now nearly 40 years on.......

thin lizy pic.jpg