Why become a member? ×

OLP sounding sweet

LITTLEWING

Just thought I'd add a bit of personal experience - I changed the pickguard on my 4 string OLP and the new one, obviously modelled on a proper EBMM, moves the pickup about 10mm further away from the bridge to the correct position (29.5" from the front of the nut to the front of the pup). Boy, just that smidge of replacement along the string speaking length has made all the difference. NOW it sounds like Stingray. (Well damn near!!)

Edited by LITTLEWING
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LITTLEWING said:

No, the routing is quite large, considering. The only mildly annoying parts are you’ll need to drill new holes (the OLP has only seven screw holes, the new plate has nine) and as one screw will now be in the void, I snipped the head off a  screw and glued it in the plate hole.

45BBCE3E-43B9-4DD9-81EE-835396B6EDB3.jpeg

Thanks for the info, it looks ace.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit of an OLP MM2 fanboi not that long ago... I bought one as I wanted something looking like a Stingray but wasn't prepared to pay for a MusicMan (I thought these basses were hideous :lol:) and loved it. Ended up putting a Seymour Dundan pickup on it and a 3-band preamp and it became my main bass for a while. At one point I think I owned up to 5 of the things! I made one fretless... Some of those OLPs were dogs, but most were at least decent and a proportion of them were very very nice. I regret selling my black/maple one. The seller wanted £120 and I was ready to pay him when he said "well, the strings are pretty old and action high so just give me £100"... who was I to argue? 30 minutes later I was at home, put a new set of strings, tweaked the truss rod and saddles a bit... and it was a beast.