Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MBP115-11 Line voltage info

Cordwangle

Just a heads-up for anyone buying a GK MB/MBP cab from USA - which I did a few weeks ago as I was unable to source one (MBP115-11) from any UK outlets.

My cab arrived within a week (well done FedEx) but was 115Vac type; I emailed the relevant fella at Sam Ash, Miami & he just said that I should buy a converter (step-down transformer)..!

I wanted some sort of refund - he offered $25......I refused & we had a few more exchanges.

Then, I decided to open up the amp section of the cab (I'm a qualified electronics engineer btw) to check for a voltage selector & on the PSU/amp board was a jumper enabling either 115 or 230Vac....!  I moved the jumper to 230Vac position & all is good - cab works fine on UK voltage supply.

I hope this info will be of some use to someone finding themselves in a similar situation  :-)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Cordwangle. Related but not quite OT - as we're due to return to the UK next year, you prompted me to look into my gk mb500 fusion. I bought it here in the US, used, when the pound was doing well and I needed to know if I can convert it or if i need to sell it.

I found two jumpers (blue one and black one) and seemingly obvious alternative "230v" positions - which means I can keep the amp (it will still have the 110v notice printed on the amp body, but I'll just put a sticker on it). Caveat: when I do it, I shall have a good look round to see if I missed anything, and I shall avoid those dangerous-looking capacitors.

I love this forum, great info, banter etc. So 'hope this info helps someone. Should I post it as  separate topic?

J

IMG_0852.png

IMG_0853.png

IMG_0854.png

IMG_0856.png