Why become a member? ×

Father and Sons STINGRAYS.

Jazzneck

Mine and my sons Stingray basses for your delectation:

Mines the pre EB (1980) on the left - reputed to have belonged to Neil Corcoran of Mother Earth at one time.

My sons is the EB (1984) on the right, with added EMG active P pickup and D tuner - reputed to have belonged to Gavin Cooper of Paul D'Ianios Killers. It was Olympic White before my son stripped it.

Stingray Fronts.jpg

Stingray Backs.jpg

Edited by Jazzneck
  • Like 3

Interested in how the one with the P-pickup sounds. Gary Grainger used to use a battered pre-EB Stingray with an added P-pickup in the middle and late 80's, but I doubt he used it often.  I only know him of his awesome Stingray sound.

Nice pair of basses!

Edited by Treb

They are both pre EB, the very first EB Stingray from the take over had a chamfuered body with a belly cut and forearm contour,  I think they were all red too but I might be wrong on that?

The last pre EB ones have bodies made by charvel as Leo wasn't happy with the quality, I'd be almost certain it's one of those too.

I like them both :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Hi, I’m the son!  

The body and neck dates are both post EB contract signing, but only by days! I can only assume all parts are pre EB stock, the only nod to EB is the relocation of the string tree to the A/D strings. Definitely an interesting one. It was Olympic white from new, very road worn when I got it. And as was the fashion at the time I stripped the lacquer  and applied an oil/wax finish.

Since, I have found the previous owner Gavin Cooper who is currently playing with Thunderstruck. He confirmed he had the bass while touring with Paul D’Ianno’s Killers in the ‘80’s and that the precision pickups where fitted prior to his ownership. So very early in its life.

To answer the question they sound awesome, very deep round sound with a piano like overtone.

Dad’s bass, while more desirable, is ridiculously heavy and the three bolt neck does shift sideways. For gigging my one wins!

D3649413-0152-450F-A5F5-A99766BEA985.jpeg

DC94F3A4-6650-4148-8A91-68FC2975DE08.jpeg

F5C2FFD3-3411-4ED0-AF72-8B9C7100DEEB.jpeg

1BC80E05-657B-48F7-8414-0E41EE564A7A.jpeg

E8EAE473-A64A-4F9E-8338-4851809E2C23.jpeg

Edited by Thunderbroom

39 minutes ago, Thunderbroom said:

Hi, I’m the son!  

Dad’s bass, while more desirable, is ridiculously heavy and the three bolt neck does shift sideways. For gigging my one wins!

....and Dads reply:

Yes, it is ridiculously heavy and coz I do not play in a heavy handed slap, RHCP way, the so called neck shift is not a problem when I play mine!:hi:

That is an interesting bass isn't it, what was the exact takeover date? I personally would call that a Pre EB as its made from entirely pre EB parts by the same people in the same factory no doubt, I'd class anything with a contour body as EB. 

I had a 79 three bolt and the neck did move a bit but the 82 with the four bolt was perfect.

My son is here at the moment, sans communication device.

He has asked me to post " After looking at a few offers Music Man was sold to Ernie Ball on March 7, 1984. Music Man's remaining physical assets were sold on June 1, 1984." Wiki.

As his bass is dated March 21 and April 5 1984 we guess it is a true pre EB parts jobbie in the first days post EBs takeover.