Why become a member? ×

Roland Bass Cube 60XL vs 120XL

halibut

I've only been playing for a couple of years, and I'm looking for a better "one-size fits all" combi solution now I'm ready to start playing outside of my bedroom on an amateur basis with a band. I'm really liking the look of the Roland Bass Cubes, largely because I fancy a good modelling amp. My current Rumble 30 has been horrifically unreliable (I'm fed up fixing the poor dip solder joints on it), and has always sounded a bit meh anyway tonally.

The things I'd like to be able to do with it are:

1. Practice at home at a reasonably quiet volume so I don't miff the neighbours off (and with a good range of tones via the modelling functionality)
  2. Practice with a small band in a rehearsal space and get heard over a drummer
  3. Possibly play in smallish (eg pub) gig, possibly by using it to plug into the PA

So I'm looking at either the Cube 60XL or the 120XL

Pro's on the 60XL are that it's smaller and will probably perform better at low volumes for home practice, cons are that I don't know if a 60watt 10" combi will compete with a drummer in rehersal, and don't know how well the 1/4" Line Out will work with a PA (It has an XLR but according to the block diagram in the manual it is clean XLR out only, and looses all the modelling features which kind of defeats the purpose of a modelling amp)

Pro's on the 120XL are that I assume 120watt / 12" will compete better with a drummer in rehearsal and has the option for the modelled signal output via XLR, but cons being it weighs a chuffing ton and may be a bit too loud in the bedroom.

I'd appreciate feedback on what others think of my assumptions on my pros / cons. And if anyone actually has one of the Cubes, what they think.

If I'm being honest, I'd prefer the smaller 60XL, but am I right to be concerned about it competing against a drummer and it not working well with a line out to a PA? Interference and the like? 

Also, can anyone recommend a better modelling combi that would be a better fit for my requirements?

Ta in advance for any feedback.

H.

15 hours ago, grandad said:

I used the older CB100 and gigged it in pubs and clubs with no trouble. They are not lightweight. I would say the 60 might struggle.

Cheers for the feedback Grandad.

Struggle in just a gig setting, or struggle as well in a rehearsal setting competing with a drummer as well?
And what was it like a low volume? Could you use it for practice at home?

Edited by halibut

Personally I think any good hefty gigging amp is going to find it hard to be used as a home quiet practice amp. Unless you know you will always have a solid PA that can handle bass i would get a cheap second hand gigging amp, maybe pay a tenner getting an amp tech to service it, then if you really want a modelling amp for home use find one that fits the size and all other requirements. Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for but in my view you're looking for two things that won't come in the same package.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 08:41, halibut said:

Cheers for the feedback Grandad.

Struggle in just a gig setting, or struggle as well in a rehearsal setting competing with a drummer as well?
And what was it like a low volume? Could you use it for practice at home?

Struggle in a gig setting.

Home practice at low volume was OK for me.

I like Roland quality but the 120 bass combo does not IME measure up to current standards of sonic vitality and is a bit of an underpowered and overweight contender by today’s standards. I borrowed one with a view to buying it and used it at rehearsals over a couple of weeks. Could not bring myself to gig it. It just seemed to miss the boat on every level except its build quality. In the OP’s case, choice will be dictated by budget but consider other combo offerings from Ashdown, Blackstar, GK, TC etc. Then there’s the thorny issue of should head/cab take preference?! 

I don’t own one but a Markbass 121p  is a great practice/small gig combo and crushes the Roland on all counts. Depends how much you can get one for. Good luck.