Why become a member? ×

Small & portable but big. Options?

Rumble

Having sold my beloved Epifani 410UL, I need something smaller, lighter and more portable, but that still has a big sound. I don't expect it to be the same as a 4x10, but would love something with a nice balance of low end projection and a bit of top end sizzle.

It does not need to be mega loud as playing in a low-ish volume setting. Currently using a Markbass F1 (which I love). 

Budget of £300-£400 second-hand. 

Suggestions? Worth mentioning that I'm not a massive fan of MB cabs and I can't be doing with anything 'woolly' or 'nasal' in tone. 

Thanks in advance. 

Have to recommend barefaced.

I use a markbass evo and it works really really well with the barefaced supercompact. Im the same with markbass cabs - i find them really lifeless.

Plenty of options cab wise. Super compact, big baby, 2x10 retro.

You might get lucky second hand in your budget, although you might have to stretch another £100+.

The ashdown abm cabs are reidiculously cheap second hand, but as much as i personal like them, they may give the nasal woolly tone you dont want.

I sold my Epifani UL410 and went to Berg 112's and 210's, and now I'm using Barefaced 112's.

Your budget isn't in the same league as the Epifani (or my cabs) so I'm not sure what suggestions I can make which will equate in terms of tone and volume.

I know you say you're not a fan of Markbass cabs
But I own a MB 2x10 traveller. It's crazily lightweight - even lighter than some cabs that are physically smaller than it
And it sounds much bigger than you'd expect. You might also want to look at Epifani Cabs. I've got a 1x10UL and it's superb.

These days, my rig consists of a couple of heads and 3 different cabs. I like to keep the rig as lightweight and portable as possible,
yet with the ability to be as flexible as possible - depending on the band I'm playing with and / or the size of the venue...

Definitely look at a MB 2x10 traveller - remember, it will sound different, depending on what head you use it with
Use it with the head of your choice, and it may surprise you. Good luck with your search :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. There certainly appears to be plenty of BF in these parts, but having never heard them played 'in anger' its difficult to know whether it will suit. The lack of a tweeter is a detractor for some of them. 

One of my main considerations is whether it will fit into a 1 series boot! 

There are several flavours.  They may well meet (or even exceed) your expectations.  Mostly clear, bright sounding cabs.  I've never used on that wasn't running a TC head, so it's difficult to say how they would sound with an MB head.

As an aside, thought about Trace cabs?  They are knocking around for very good money atm, as they suffer from not being as fashionable.  One wonders how important the weight issue is...?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:23, Rumble said:

Thanks for the suggestions. There certainly appears to be plenty of BF in these parts, but having never heard them played 'in anger' its difficult to know whether it will suit. The lack of a tweeter is a detractor for some of them. 

Certainly ,the BF Compact (G1 & 2) don't have the top end sizzle required at all. I'm not sure what frequency the treble control on a Shuttle acts at, but with the Compact, it made barely any audible difference. I made my own box with a tweeter in it to sit on top of the Shuttle when I felt I needed that sort of sound.

On 12/11/2017 at 17:23, Rumble said:

Call Alex and ask the question.

Surely the Super Midget (18"x17"x11" or 45x42x28) will fit in your boot?

On 12/12/2017 at 21:42, Rumble said:

The weight is pretty important. I've had my day carting around hefty loads and my back never thanked me for it! 

Will have a look at the Trace gear. Thanks 

Yes, weight is an issue for many of us, who've reached a "certain age" now
Gone are my days of lugging speaker cabs the size and weight of fridges....
Trace gear tends to be on the heavy side.... that is, it seems to vary from "very heavy" to "*@$!*?* heavy" ;)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

At the risk of asking an 'old' question, what would I lose by using a 1x12 over a 2x12 or 2x10? Would the 1x12 still give the low end just less 'volume'? I really like the idea of a 1x12, but concerned about what might be lacking. 

6 hours ago, Rumble said:

what would I lose by using a 1x12 over a 2x12 or 2x10? Would the 1x12 still give the low end just less 'volume'?

First, My question about weight in relation to Trace cabs was because I knew they're quite heavy.

Totally depends upon the amp and what particular cabinet you intend upon. Also what sort of music you play!

Whilst Barefaced stuff may be great - not for me, but I know there's lots of fans in these parts - they're rarely in the price range you originally stated.

I use 12" speakers in my rig, to my mind/ear they're a good balance between low end response and having the articulation of smaller drivers.  I have 2 Bergantino 1x12s, and there's an immediate apparent difference in adding the other driver - but sometimes (in fact quite often) I don't need both.

Others will no doubt explain this in dissected detail, but when shopping for cabs the main thing to look for is frequency range, sensitivity of driver and the given spl of the cabinet.  Just like amps, wattage doesn't equate perceived volume.  Also, you might decide you like certain things - like you may prefer a horn over a piezo tweeter, or even no tweeter at all.

As an affordable decent quality option, I'd look at the Fender Rumble 112 cabinets.  Less than £300 new, with a ceramic magnet Eminence driver.

Edited by Tonteee