Why become a member? ×

finding out the rating on unmarked speakers?

XoSo

Sitting in my spare room I have an (oldish) Fender 4x10 cab that I bought a few years ago to match to a HH 100w guitar head I was messing around with. It's a curious thing there is no rating plate on the back and no labels on the back of the speakers, there is just a tiny little plate by the rear speaker input that says Fender L082163. It's unported and completely sealed at the back - I imagine it was built as a guitar cab rather than a bass cab. It had no problem at all being matched to the 100 watt HH head but I'm wondering if there is any way to find out the maximum output of the speakers? The reason I ask is that I  am about to get an Ampeg PF-500 and I'd like to hook itup it to in the short term until I can afford a proper bass cab. I know all I need to do really is plug the amp in and see what happens but it would be nice to know!!!

quite, and I'm almost certain that at low 'home practise' volumes the cab will easily be sufficient. I ask more out of curiosity than anything - i'm a very 'untechnical' person and didn't know if there was some way to test speakers or not, I suspected not to be truthful.