Why become a member? ×

10" cab build

Elfrasho

You may or may not have noticed, over the past few years I've been in and out of everyone's cab build threads, picking up valuable information and tips on how to go about my own build. 

I took everything I learned and ignored pretty much every single part of it! I used mdf... I didn't tune it... I've not vented it... I didn't recess the speaker.... And this is the result! ? ? 

I can't even test it as my only amps at our rehearsal room! Doh! 

I should add, the only outlay I had was 8 quid for the glue. Everything else (down to the paint) is stuff I've had lying about, so don't feel too bad for me when you're checking out my attempt! 

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

Edited by Elfrasho
  • Like 1

I love hacks like this one.

I been doing this sort of thing since I was little.  I get immense pleasure from the results too.  It's nice occasionally to let go of the disciplines that I've learned from engineering and just improvise with what's at hand.

I hope it sounds passable when you finally get it hooked up.

Edited by SpondonBassed

9 hours ago, ahpook said:

Looks cool - what speaker did you use ?

It's an eminence basslite s2010. 

To give myself some credit, I took the volume of enclosure recommended by eminence and built this with the same depth and width as my current combo, therefore this should fit reasonablely well underneath it. 

Ive got corner protector bits to put on too. All I need is a handle. I've got one which I was planning to use but it's huge and I would be worried about cutting out the size of the hole needed for it. If it works OK and sounds fine I'll just pick up a strap style handle I think. 

• 1 month later...

I like this very much. You should have seen my BFM speaker builds featuring scrap wood, cardboard reinforced with plasterboard tape impregnated with resin for the curved parts of the internals. My cabs were built from scrap apart from a 10 quid sheet of fibre board and some expanding glue. i bought one Emminence 10 beta speaker to share between the two cabs. It was just a enjoyable prodject. Strange thing is I never tested them at any real volume before selling them. Spent 55 quid on the pair.

It sounds perfectly fine by the way! Don't have an amp head to try it in isolation but as an ext cab for my 1x10 combo it works a treat! 

What's a pita though is the project I built this for bought some subs for our pa about 2 days after I'd finished it, so i actually don't need it anymore! Everythings through the pa so back to ampless gigging! 😅 oh well, it was a bit if fun! 

• 1 month later...

You've inspired me! I have a lovely lightweight combo which just,and I mean just, about coped at band practice. It has an output for an extension speaker which could make the difference I need. However the entire point of the small combo is ease of getting the thing in and out of the car so I want something small.

Now I also have a very nice 2 X 10 in a scruffy and above all heavy cab with damaged grill that I don't mind taking apart. I reckon I could make a little 1 x 10 like yours employing one of the speakers from this unused overweight cab. So thank you for showing me it can be done. To be frank I'm a little intimidated by the high tech talk around here, although I love reading the threads. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

You've inspired me! I have a lovely lightweight combo which just,and I mean just, about coped at band practice. It has an output for an extension speaker which could make the difference I need. However the entire point of the small combo is ease of getting the thing in and out of the car so I want something small.

Now I also have a very nice 2 X 10 in a scruffy and above all heavy cab with damaged grill that I don't mind taking apart. I reckon I could make a little 1 x 10 like yours employing one of the speakers from this unused overweight cab. So thank you for showing me it can be done. To be frank I'm a little intimidated by the high tech talk around here, although I love reading the threads. 

Ha no worries. Just make sure the ohms works out OK!  And post some pictures! 😅 

this is excellent!

although I enjoy very much all the talk going around in the 12" build diaries et al. sometimes I feel there is little room for the "ghetto DIY" and other better approaches, everything that doesn't necessarily aim for perfection. they can sound good too!

show us how it sounds if you ever have the chance!

Unfortunately, soon after I made this, the project I was needing it for got a bigger pa so I'm back to gigging without an amp! So, it was all a bit of a waste of time! Haha. But for the short time I was using it in rehearsal it sounded perfectly fine. It farted out when pushed higher, but so does the internal speaker!  It's definitely there for me when required though! 

24 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

Unfortunately, soon after I made this, the project I was needing it for got a bigger pa so I'm back to gigging without an amp! So, it was all a bit of a waste of time! Haha. But for the short time I was using it in rehearsal it sounded perfectly fine. It farted out when pushed higher, but so does the internal speaker!  It's definitely there for me when required though! 

I disagree.

It would have been a waste of time doing it and not sharing your experience with the others here... perhaps.

I mean; in addition to learning something new and finding that it works, you have inspired others, @stewblack for one, to have a go where otherwise they'd have been overawed by the prospect.

That lickle cab might find a new home in a home cinema system.  All you need is a mono amplifier module of suitable spec to make it an active sub.  At those levels you might never get to fart inducing cone velocities and you'd have a really solid bottom end as a result.

Not a waste of time.
Well done!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the new Trace Elliot 10" mini speaker cab the other day, 300 quid. They even gave you the cab dimensions and the type of speaker used in the advert. The size of the port would not be too difficult to guess from pictures. The cab didn't look a lot different in shape to what you have done here. If you have a 10" Eminence lying around you can always build a handful of BFM cabs with it. The plans are cheap enough.