Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the J&D Ukulele Bass?

dannybuoy

I had (and regrettably sold) a Kala U-Bass a while back, and want to get a cheap clone to mess about with that I can keep tucked down the side of the sofa!

These look to be cheaper than all the others I’ve seen out there, has anyone tried one? Not sure whether to spend a little bit more to avoid disappointment, but cheap, buy twice and all that!

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Ukulele-Bass-UK-BM1R/art-BAS0007299-000

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

There's a used Countryman in the classifieds. Get that.

Nice instruments. Really needs a string upgrade, but still very good.

I should have done I know, but it sold last week!

As far as I can tell both come with Aquila Thunderguts... I do prefer the black Pahoehoe strings as they are less sticky, but on the other hand they are less stable tuning-wise. I found I had to apply talc to my fingertips to get a smooth playing experience with the Thunderguts. Not sure how the new red strings compare...

Hi, 

I bought one 3 years ago, for hollydays and beach mood. 

The lutherie is ok, as the preamp, but the keys are really sh ## t. I replaced it, it cost me about 50 € and now it's a sweet instrument, that could sound close to a a double bass when plug.

But the Music store's customer service is awful. They told me that keys weren't waranty (I had problems a month after purchase) and didn't answer after that. I'll never buy anything on MS.

I haven't tried the J+D but i did compare a few of the cheaper options side by side when buying my Kala, they both had the pale/white strings but not exactly the same ones, i've seem some cheaper ones that have white strings that aren't Aquila (which are more of a cream colour) 

another thing i noticed was the little hatch on the back for string changes, the 2 cheapies i looked at, one had no hatch at all ( i'd imaging that string changes would be a nightmare) the other had the hatch held on with 4 screws that weren't flush to the wood so would have risked damage to your shirt (possibly).

i really wanted to like the cheaper ones but after about 90 minutes i'd come to the conclusion that i couldn't have lived with them and went for the Kala. if i was buying again on a budget i think i'd be saving up a bit more and finding a secondhand Kala. (there is a spruce topped one in the classifieds at 210 quid at the moment.)

Matt

On 12/10/2017 at 20:49, dannybuoy said:

These look to be cheaper than all the others I’ve seen out there, has anyone tried one? Not sure whether to spend a little bit more to avoid disappointment, but cheap, buy twice and all that!

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Ukulele-Bass-UK-BM1R/art-BAS0007299-000

I got one and I like it. It gets the job done. I cannot see why one should pay 3 or 4 times the amount to get a Kala.