Why become a member? ×

Marleaux

slemm

[quote name='slemm' post='33716' date='Jul 18 2007, 04:37 PM'][attachment=1242:jbdeluxe_gross.jpg]Does anyone out there know anything about these guitars. Have my heart set on JB Deluxe it was love at first sight.[/quote]

Don't know anything about them, except I get a warm squidgy feeling :wub: :wacko:
Got any bigger pics?

Hamster

I've handled one Marelux (Consat4) in a shop (wasnt allowed plug it in and play it..... Boring farts!), It felt very well built, in that Germanic kinda way that only Warwick, Clover and these can.....

If you like it that much and you can afford it, I dont think you'll be dissapointed.......

I had a Consat Straight 4 and it was a very lovely bass indeed. I have a (shoddy) lil clip of it here: [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass%20guitar%20samples/Marleaux%20Consat%20Straight%20slap%20groove%20'Waterfront'.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...rfront'.mp3[/url]

..And here, would ye beleive: [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass%20guitar%20samples/Marleaux%20Consat%20straight%20fingerstyle%20groove%20'Prototype'.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...totype'.mp3[/url]

Oh and apic here: [url="http://www.freewebs.com/chrishiscocks/mygear.htm"]http://www.freewebs.com/chrishiscocks/mygear.htm[/url]

As you can probably hear, it was quite a 'hard' sounding bass, didn't sound so great by itself but worked REALLY well live. I sold it in the end to fund my fretless. If I had one again I would go for the same model with a neck pickup in addition to the single humbucker which was a bit limiting - but like I said, as a live tool it just worked, and that was the main thing.

Bassjamm has a beautiful fretless version of the Consat with two soapbars which is much more versatile and sounded lovely to me - he is recording his band's CD at the moment and told me the fretless features on the majority of the tracks.

I really like the Marleaux EQ - I have the circuit in my Vigier fretted bass. It has a really good range on the treble control, centered at 8Khz which is my all time fave frequency (sad or what).

I bought a Carvin BB75 a while ago from ebay on which the truss rod broke and the neck warped a lot - in conjunction with eubassix we sent it over to the Marleaux boys to fix up with a new neck and finish which promises to be top notch.

Oh and I emailed one of the two chaps at Marleaux a while back with a simple inquiry and they sent me a T shirt and cap and some stickers etc. The first lot didn't arrive when he emailed to check, so he sent another lot to me with a note to the postman saying 'please deliver this one, you can't wear both caps at once!!' Legendary. It says a lot about a company when they are so nice to their customers.

So.. buy with confidence!!

Cheers
ped

• 2 weeks later...

By the end of this week I will have a creation by Carvin and Marleaux (all in one bass) for sale on here - a joint venture between me and eubassix. It is going to be a superb bargain, and a unique bass which has been inspected and crafted by tow top end bass companies!

I played (and nearly bought) the Marleaux Consat fretless 5 string that was at Bass day last year. Wonderful bass, very playable and probably the best 'off the shelf' fredtless I've played. In the end I decided that for the kind of money they were asking (even with Bass Day discount) I'd prefer to have something custom built. Still it was a close thing...

Oh and still lusting after a [url="http://www.marleaux-bass.com/instock_mp_5_02.html"]Marleaux Pagelli[/url]

Edited by BigRedX

They make very good basses, kind of after Schack in their early days... suppose it is the J fashion now, and I wouldn't have thought they would have gone this route but the market is very very J bass right now.

I played a couple of Marleauxs back in the day when they were starting up, and also met Gerald Marleaux who makes these. They had some pretty clever circuits and I have not seen another like that since, 3 variable frequencies para EQ but each variable frequency lockable with a logic control switch... too clever for a market that really wants one tone and one volume knob....

Waaaaahhhhooooo...more Marleaux lovers in the making!!!

As Ped said, i own a Marleaux Constat 5 string fretless addition, 2 bart humbuckers, 3 band eq, active/passive, maple neck, ebony board + nut, mahogany body, pearwood top.

Firstly, it looks out of this world, quite simply stunning! The feel is also incredible, quite light, balances beautifully, sits tight against your body, well contoured...and the neck is probably the smoothest i've felt on any bass.

The sound, now that's the bit that gives you the warm gooey feeling, it is tonally a beast, i can get anything from pure fretless filth, gritty and growly bridge pickup beastyfulness...all the warm through to a really old school thick almost airy fluff sound, for the really almost upright like vibe. I personally love the Passive sound too, it's really amazing what sounds you can get from your fingers with this bass, but i tend to use the active for gigs and studio, the eq is really palletable and incredibly usable!!! I tend to knock of a little treble (simply as i prefer a trebless sound), boost the mids for the fretless swell, and boost the bass for some thick rich beef...all this however maintains a trully beautiful sound. The pickup pan is all that i tend to change unless the studio want a certain vibe, but the pickup pan is kickass!!!

Now for some background. I'd been searching for the right fretless for over a year...in this time i'd bought a few frettes basses, and settled on an F Bass, which is just kick ass. My initial thoughts were to go for an F Bass fretless, however, they cost well too much and i couldn't get my hands on one to try...but i kept this at number one. The studio i work with were egging me on to get an F Bass fretless as they love the F bass so much to work with and i get on with it. But i continued my search, almost buying a Zon based on their fretless following, and almost got to the point of placing a custom order for a Roscoe...however, i then learnt of Promenade music having a Marleaux fretless in (they're the UK stockists, wicked guys to deal with, very helpful, great selection of Marleaux's too), basically...i went up and tried it, and bought it there and then...it was that good!!!!!!!

As soon as the guys in the studio heard it, they said it was the right choice and were glad i held out for the right one!!! It is totally studio friendly and as Ped said, most of the current album is being recorded using the fretless. I've had to get to know it rather quickly, but everything i through at it, it handles. I've strung it E - C, detuned it to sub bass frequencies, tried it with flats/rounds, relied on it for gigs...had to through some heavy stuff at it in the studio on challenging tracks, and through each situation it's come out making love it even more!!!!

If you can afford one, i strongly suggest you check them out. I'm currently planning my next purchase, a 6 string as i'm fed up of changing between E - C and B - G tuned basses, and i'm strongly considering a Marleaux M Bass, but i'm resisting trying one in case i love it too much!!!

You're more than welcome to come and try mine out, or to ask any specific questions.

Jamie

Jamie, have you posted any pics of your Consat, because it sounds very much like the one I tried at Bass Day (there can't be too many fretless Consat 5s in the country). If it is I'm not surprised you're completely knocked out with it. I thought it was wonderful, and was this (fingers almost touching) close to buying it....

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='bassjamm' post='40102' date='Aug 1 2007, 05:38 PM']Neilb - Overwater used to stock them but no longer do.

BigRedX - If you tried the one from Promenade music then it will indeed be the one i know own...pics can be seen on my myspace page.[/quote]

haha, i think I played that bass at bass day too. It was lovely, but well out of my price range.

to be honest, marleaux must be some of the nicest basses on the eye ive ever seen.
never had any experience but im dying to try one, i read something about certain ones having a programmable tone or something an
i really want one of them :huh:
haha these must be the only bass company that have ever interested me this much so in the future im surly to buy one myself :)

[quote name='cai!' post='40843' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:04 PM']to be honest, marleaux must be some of the nicest basses on the eye ive ever seen.
never had any experience but im dying to try one, i read something about certain ones having a programmable tone or something an
i really want one of them :huh:
haha these must be the only bass company that have ever interested me this much so in the future im surly to buy one myself :)[/quote]

I totally understand what you mean about nice on the eye. They were the first custom instruments that i ever really got into, looks wise, and i'm glad i managed to eventually buy one.

As for the eq...they do indeed have programmable eq, basically, you can set the frequency that you want to boost/cut, it's a bit of a complicated system at first, but it seems quite cool, although, i'm glad mine hasn't got it!!!

From the look of the pics for this one it's been through eubassix's hands at some point. Nice looking bass:-
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARLEAUX-JB4-Jazz-Bass-Handmade-with-vintage-case_W0QQitemZ130139521175QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViwItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARLEAUX-JB4-Jazz-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='dr.funk' post='41252' date='Aug 4 2007, 01:18 PM']I remember Ari posting this picture of his Consat when he was selling it. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it again but it is one of the most beautiful basses I have ever seen :)[/quote]

That looks awesome!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='41238' date='Aug 4 2007, 12:14 PM']I totally understand what you mean about nice on the eye. They were the first custom instruments that i ever really got into, looks wise, and i'm glad i managed to eventually buy one.

As for the eq...they do indeed have programmable eq, basically, you can set the frequency that you want to boost/cut, it's a bit of a complicated system at first, but it seems quite cool, although, i'm glad mine hasn't got it!!![/quote]

coool :) haha im kinda interested in the programable eq because it could come in handy :huh: but i dont think i could afford one with that though! haha well il buy one eventually, watch this space :huh:

[quote name='cai!' post='41432' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:38 PM']coool :) haha im kinda interested in the programable eq because it could come in handy :huh: but i dont think i could afford one with that though! haha well il buy one eventually, watch this space :huh:[/quote]

Definately man...if you can get up there, i'd go and check out the range that Promenade Music have in mate, Gary the guy who runs the guitar/bass section, he's a really sound chap and won't give you any hassle, he'll just let you do what you do and answer any questions you have. They really are fantastic bass though mate!