Why become a member? ×

Pick Click

Si600

I'm listening to and sorting out the recordings from our last session and there is a lot of pick click on there.  I know it's me and not the guitarist.  Any ideas how I reduce it, (without playing fingers!)? 

I'm using .6 Dunlops, too thick do you think?

Roll off just a touch of high end or roll back the tone control slightly in future. If done judiciously, it should smooth off the worst excesses of your technique. Some pick noise is all but inevitable in some circumstances, particularly when recording direct to desk. 

A thicker, less flexible pick will help - notice that Anthony Jackson's stunning technique, thick picks and muted high end produce near flawless picking with an absolute minimum of unwanted noise.

On 09/12/2017 at 21:16, Bolo said:

Is the pick the real problem?

I don't know, how do I find out?  I've not had anyone study my playing and make suggestions of where to make changes.  Maybe videoing myself and posting it is the next step?

Could be that I don't understand the problem, are you recording from a direct line or micing you amp, or using a single overhead nice to capture your rehearsal?

Are you hearing the pick click when you are playing? Are you hitting a pickup maybe? 

It's a Zoom H4N in the corner just to capture anything we do for improvement in playing or any new ideas that pop out.

It's a P-Bass and I play between the pickup and the bridge.  I don't *think* I'm hitting the pickup, I'll have a look for scratches later :)