Why become a member? ×

Serek short scale basses

ikay

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Given that Sereks are as rare as rocking horse poo second hand and not exactly cheap, has anyone given Wilcock basses a look? https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass?_=pf&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock Basses&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock&pf_t_scale_length=30"

https://www.wilcocklondon.com

Wilcocks are great, I’ve played a couple of ‘Mullarkey’ models. I went with a Serek because I had met and spoken with Jake quite a bit, and I like purchasing from people who I feel an affiliation with, plus I preferred the 2x2 headstock. For me, the Wilcock stuff, aesthetically speaking, covered the same ground as my Mustang, although of course much higher in quality.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Wilcocks are great, I’ve played a couple of ‘Mullarkey’ models. I went with a Serek because I had met and spoken with Jake quite a bit, and I like purchasing from people who I feel an affiliation with, plus I preferred the 2x2 headstock. For me, the Wilcock stuff, aesthetically speaking, covered the same ground as my Mustang, although of course much higher in quality.

Si

I have to agree on the 2+2 headstock, that on a Mullarkey would be pukka (and probably look too much like a Supro).

I have a Midwestern 2. It’s a great bass for sure! I bought it without trying one and have never owned a short scale bass before. It is not expensive for what it is in my opinion, it’s a handmade top tier instrument. 

Edited by Vanheusen77
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 06:36, ezbass said:

Given that Sereks are as rare as rocking horse poo second hand and not exactly cheap, has anyone given Wilcock basses a look? https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass?_=pf&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock Basses&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock&pf_t_scale_length=30"

https://www.wilcocklondon.com

Yes and I much prefer the Wilcock. That’s saying a lot since serek’s are very cool. The Wilcock is just a better built bass with a fatter, warmer tone - IMO. I played the Mullarkey model.

For Serek, I am very intrigued by his 5 string models. One of those may be in my future.

Edited by TheGhostofJaco

1 minute ago, TheGhostofJaco said:

Yes and I much prefer the Wilcock. That’s saying a lot since serek’s are very cool. The Wilcock is just a better built bass with a fatter, warmer tone - IMO. I played the Mullarkey model.

Naaaaa, not possible to say that, they’re both excellently built! Whether one prefers one over the other is subjective of course, Wilcock has built basses with Serek’s B90’s in, and Serek has any number of pickup options....so ‘fatness’ is simply down to that.

Si

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Naaaaa, not possible to say that, they’re both excellently built! Whether one prefers one over the other is subjective of course, Wilcock has built basses with Serek’s B90’s in, and Serek has any number of pickup options....so ‘fatness’ is simply down to that.

Si

Its my opinion and I said it. I picked the Wilcock for the reasons I stated. Pretty easy decision for me.

To be clear Mullarkey V Midwestern in my case.

Edited by TheGhostofJaco

58 minutes ago, TheGhostofJaco said:

Its my opinion and I said it. I picked the Wilcock for the reasons I stated. Pretty easy decision for me.

To be clear Mullarkey V Midwestern in my case.

You picked them for reasons of tone though, as opposed to one being ‘better built’ than the other. I simply asserted that they are as well built as one another, both being accomplished luthiers.

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

You picked them for reasons of tone though, as opposed to one being ‘better built’ than the other. I simply asserted that they are as well built as one another, both being accomplished luthiers.

Si

I prefer the build of the wilcock as well.again, my preference and opinion based on a pretty long career as a bassist. Enjoy the serek, im not attacking your instrument. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

2 left this morning.  I was so tempted to pull trigger.  Just looked again.  All sold.  If Serek become a household name those basses are gonna be worth something.

Not surprised, cool bass, limited editions. If Jake puts out a 5 string version of it as a run, I’m in trouble. Probably unlikely at that price though. 

Very much looking forward to seeing each of the iterations though!

Si

Edited by Sibob

1 hour ago, Sarlscharisma said:

That could’ve been mine.  My star sign is libra, so decision making is not one of my finest qualities 🤯. Enjoy the bass!

You’ll know better for the next batch huh 😉

Si