Why become a member? ×

Your Favourite Album of 2017

progben

Four to mention for me...

• To My Roots by Emma Stevens. Sparkly, uplifting country-tinged pop with an edge. A lovely positive album which manages that without any cheese.
  • Gordon Giltrap and Paul Ward’s Last Of England was my personal highlight showing that Gordon is very much still at the top of his game. The last tune on the album is a track my wife and I commissioned as a 50th gift to each other so it’s particularly special for us. 
  • Sonny Landreth, Live in Louisiana gives you two great CDs of swampy, Cajun flavoured blues. One disc acoustic one electric. Some great playing on there.
  • Finally Legends of the Shires by British prog-metal veterans, Threshold. Loved this band for ages and this is some top heavy prog. 

I tend not to buy many new releases as soon as they come out, but I really like Skinny Lister
They're an amazingly energetic live band, and great musicians with it. They have two lead vocalists, a male & female
But all the band do backing vocals too, and there's quite a few of them, so it's very effective, with lots of "Too-ray-ey 'ing"

Anyhow, their 2017 album; "The Devil, The Heart & The Fight" - far from being the difficult 2nd album, is great :)

Edited by Marc S

I very rarely buy any music these days, just listen to stuff on iTunes, but I made an exception for 'Hawkwind at the Roundhouse', a boxed set of two CDs and a DVD of the complete gig last May. Watched most of it last night and it certainly brought back some memories, as I was one of the happy throng in the audience that night.

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I very rarely buy any music these days, just listen to stuff on iTunes, but I made an exception for 'Hawkwind at the Roundhouse...

Good call; ordered. Thanks for the tip-off. :)

I remember leaving the Kingston College concert, circa 1972, before they set the place afire with their pyrotechnics. Long drape curtains all around the hall; a recipe for disaster..! It all ended well, of course, but I listened to the finale from outside; I felt safer..! Heady daze. B|

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good call; ordered. Thanks for the tip-off. :)

I remember leaving the Kingston College concert, circa 1972, before they set the place afire with their pyrotechnics. Long drape curtains all around the hall; a recipe for disaster..! It all ended well, of course, but I listened to the finale from outside; I felt safer..! Heady daze. B|

They really haven't changed much over the years, people come and go but Brocky is still at the helm, and with a new young bass player they sound more like they used to than they have for years. Fifty years and counting!

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

They really haven't changed much over the years, people come and go but Brocky is still at the helm, and with a new young bass player they sound more like they used to than they have for years. Fifty years and counting!

They still haven't got the naked gyrating girl on stage with them are they?

Blimey, she would be about 70 now ???

It's good to know that I'm not alone in having this thread make me realise that I've hardly bought any music this year! In fact, I think the only contemporary album I've bought is Bjork's new album, Utopia. Can't say the album cover's going to go down as one of my favourites, but the music is excellent - a brighter and more optimistic sound than the raging darkness of Vulnicura, and as strange and challenging as I've come to expect from her.