Why become a member? ×

Your Favourite Album of 2017

progben

The new Styx album 'The Mission'....... just fantastic! A proper, old-school 'concept album' featuring supreme musicianship, songwriting, arrangements and vocals. Here's a vid of their amazing drummer Todd Sucherman playing my favourite song on the album:

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:40, progben said:

For me, it was unexpectedly The Desaturating Seven by Primus. I didn't like the prerelease songs much but the record as a whole has sucked me in completely. Claypool always does the unexpected but this one really took me by surprise and won me over in a big way.

I'm listening to this now, it must have passed me by earlier in the year. I've not bought any primus for a while, but enjoying this a lot. The Seven is a hell of a track.

... as for the Prophets of Rage mentions, it may be just me but compared to RATM, I find it pretty terrible / formulaic. Really a disappointing album for me.

I bought more albums in 2016 than I had for some time, with Iggy Pop, Russian Circles, Helms Alee and Dismemberment Plan being some real stand-outs.

2017, I've hardly got anything new. Alpha Male Tea Party and Chiyoda Ku albums were both belters though.

2 minutes ago, GazWills said:

I'm listening to this now, it must have passed me by earlier in the year. I've not bought any primus for a while, but enjoying this a lot. The Seven is a hell of a track.

... as for the Prophets of Rage mentions, it may be just me but compared to RATM, I find it pretty terrible / formulaic. Really a disappointing album for me.

I bought more albums in 2016 than I had for some time, with Iggy Pop, Russian Circles, Helms Alee and Dismemberment Plan being some real stand-outs.

2017, I've hardly got anything new. Alpha Male Tea Party and Chiyoda Ku albums were both belters though.

Definitely a weird one, even for them. 

& I was on the same bill as Chiyoda Ku when they played in a practice room with about 50 in the crowd. They were really impressive - thanks for reminding me to check out that record!

Just now, progben said:

Definitely a weird one, even for them. 

& I was on the same bill as Chiyoda Ku when they played in a practice room with about 50 in the crowd. They were really impressive - thanks for reminding me to check out that record!

Nothing more annoying that a young, talented band ;)

Admittedly I haven't bought many albums this year, but from what I have got, the best I've heard is the Sons Of Apollo album, Psychotic Symphony.

All star line up of Billy Sheehan, Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal & Jeff Scott Soto.

Not one for everyone, but well worth it if you're into that sort of thing...

5 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

How Did We Get So Dark - Royal Blood

I enjoyed that album but I think their first one was way, way more interesting. With practically every track of HDWGSD I thought "I've already heard this" unfortunately. Good band though.

For me, best of 2017 is probably a list... Sorry, can't help it.

Thundercat - Drunk
QOTSA - Villains
Rico & Sticks - IZM (Dutch hiphop)
Death From Above 1979 - Outrage! Is Now
Steven Wilson - To The Bone

And I really enjoyed the new Morbid Angel album, Kingdoms Disdained.

Zanaka, by French singer Jain.

Sort of electropop/world music mash up, with some great bass playing on it too by the producer, a French chap called Yodelice. Sly and Robbie guest on drums and bass on one of the songs too.

It has also proved invaluable for keeping my kids happy on long car journeys. Aside from the three obvious singles, the outstanding album tracks for me are You Can Blame Me, Son of a Sun and Heads Up.

EDIT - ah i've just checked and it was released in 2015, but i don't think it was on the radar in UK until this year (well not with me anyway!)

Edited by bassbiscuits

On 12/14/2017 at 10:08, xgsjx said:

I think my fave album of the year has been Resurgen by Fink.  Fantastic album.

Automaton by Jamiroquai is a great album too. 

For this month though, The Peace Project by Hillsong is very fitting.

I'm with you with Automaton...... Great album.....

15 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Morrissey - Low in High School. It's one of the best he's ever made.

Shame he's such a repellent, small minded douchecanoe - it's really ruined his music for me

Edited by Spaced

• 2 weeks later...

Easy one - I only bought one album this year.

It was Dan Baird & Homemade Sin's Red Wristband Special, so called because Dan was hospitalised the next day with leukemia for which he is still undergoing treatment.

Amazing that he made it through a 2 hour gig - you can see how jaundiced he was.

It's a really good live album with a few Homemade Sin/Bluefields related bonus tracks.