Why become a member? ×

Your Favourite Album of 2017

progben

The only new release I've enjoyed this year is 'Roll With The Punches' by Van Morrison. Super vibe and playing. Van is still the man.

Haven't had a chance to listen to his other new one yet as it's only just come out!

Other than that, everything I've discovered has been 'older' stuff. Most recently, the back catalogue of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band....which sadly, sounds better and more vibrant than any other records I've heard in the last 20+ years.

On 12/8/2017 at 18:55, lowdown said:

Blue Maqams by Anouar Brahem.

Wow, is he still going? Last thing I heard from him was Astrakhan Cafe, and that was in 2001!

Personally my favourite has been A Fever Dream by Everything Everything. Alvvays' second was good too, though it wasn't a brilliant year for music. More interested in the mid 90s atm - where the fork have Massive Attack been all this time?!

It's been a bloody good year for music. Hard to pin down one album.

but these two are right at the top of the list.

This incredibly mellow and beautiful album by Grails

And a somewhat less mellow and beautiful, but equally fantastic album from FRET (Mick Harris. ex Scorn, ex Napalm Death)

Edited by bartelby

12 minutes ago, Little Dragon said:

Same guitarist bassist and drummer as RATM so not surprising similarity. Vocalists from Cypress Hill and NWA.

I didn’t realise that most of them are from RATM, Is the album any good? I’ve been meaning to give them a listen as RATM’s original album is one of my go to albums 

I’ve just listened to a few of their tracks on YT and I think I’ll be ordering the album 

48 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I listened to a few of their tracks. Very close to being great. I so love Tom Morellos riffs until he gets to the solos!

I know what you mean not as good as RATM but worth a listen 

I really rate Tom Morello I think he’s under rated same as Tim Commerford I think he’s a great solid bassist

32 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

It'll either be Gary Numan's "Savage" or Paradise Lost's "Medusa" - and I think I'll go for Gary Numan's "Savage".

I got Savage last week and I do like it. It is very similar to other recent Gary Numan stuff, but does have something that lifts it slightly above those.

I've only bought one album that was actually released this year. Last week I bought 'Villains' by Queens of the Stone Age and am quite enjoying it, 100% QOTSA but a hint of Gary Numan and Dead Kennedys in places, which is no bad thing, and the single 'The Way You  Used To Do' is rediculously catchy. 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I've only bought one album that was actually released this year. Last week I bought 'Villains' by Queens of the Stone Age and am quite enjoying it, 100% QOTSA but a hint of Gary Numan and Dead Kennedys in places, which is no bad thing, and the single 'The Way You  Used To Do' is rediculously catchy. 

The same here I've only bought one album that was actually released this year 'War Is Over'  by the Von Hertzen Brothers, bloody great.

On 10/12/2017 at 23:40, Woodinblack said:

I got Savage last week and I do like it. It is very similar to other recent Gary Numan stuff, but does have something that lifts it slightly above those.

I didn't really get into the previous two albums but, as you've said, I found this one to be better than those - for me it's on a par with Pure which was previously my favourite of his recent albums. I've not seen him tour this one but I'd imagine it works very well in a live situation.

Edited by darkandrew

only bought three 2017 releases, all good stuff

Emperor of Sand by Mastodon - I have to disagree with the poster who  reckons their glory days are long ago. I prefer their more accessible style

Prophets of Rage - another poster said one of the vocalists was from NWA. Nah, it's Chuck D from the very great Public Enemy! 

World Eater by Blanck Mass - excellent dark, thumping electronica from one half of Fvck Buttons, for my money the best British electronica act since Orbital, Underworld, Chemical Brothers etc came on the scene etc

Edited by Barking Spiders

22 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, it did but I only heard it in summer after seeing them at a festival I was playing at. In my defence, I think the initial post was ambiguous in its wording and I wasn’t sure if it meant “favourite album released this year” or “favourite album heard this year”.

There’s a broadcast of one of their recent orchestral gigs airing on Radio 2 on Wednesday. 

Sorry for the ambiguity, the focus was meant to be on albums released this year - but thanks for the recommendations!

had to go through the "recently added" section on my itunes to see what I'd bought this year, and then work out which of them was actually released this year...it's not a long list.

Basically it's a choice between Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Black Sabbath (the End, live), Gary Numan, the Flatliners (Inviting Light, bit of a cheat as it's a lot of older tracks collected on a new album) and Akercocke.  Have to say, I really liked them all.

Another vote for Akercocke - it's definitely the one I've listened to the most...

...but I should probably declare an interest, given that they're mates of mine and it's my bass they're playing on the album

I would have liked to pick something a little less obvious (for me), but for me the album of 2017 has to be "Under Your Spell" by The Birthday Massacre. I've been a fan since I first heard them in 2005, and each album has pretty much been my favourite album of the year when it was released.

This year's runners up were: "Darkness Falls Upon The Light" by Luxury Stranger, and "Fake Sugar" by Beth Ditto.

I hadn't bought that much this year, but I tend to buy in splurges, so I got the Gary Numan, Queens of the Stone Age, Rob Zombie, NiN the week before last, then nothing for the previous 3 or so months, then about 5 CDs (inc Steve Wilson and Wolf Alice and some older ones I didn't have) at that time 

The only album I have that I know for a fact is from this year is Stevie Simpson's Fair Travels and Fine Times, and I got that for free because I played on it. Other than that, like Mick I bought Gurutopia by Shez Raja at the bass show back in March, and I like it a lot.

Absolutely has to be Big Walnuts Yonder. Great musicianship from all four players and moreover a fantastically mixed album, you can really pick out each instrument and each note. 

I wanted to really like the new War on Drugs album but it just doesn't have the same sparkle as the previous one. Give it time...