Why become a member? ×

Your Favourite Album of 2017

progben

Any genre, any style. Just share the album which stood out to you this year (edit: which was released in 2017)

For me, it was unexpectedly The Desaturating Seven by Primus. I didn't like the prerelease songs much but the record as a whole has sucked me in completely. Claypool always does the unexpected but this one really took me by surprise and won me over in a big way.

Over to you guys. Hopefully this will introduce some people to some gems! 

Edited by progben
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

Akercocke - Rennaisance In Extremis

So happy these guys have reformed and on top of that released my favourite album of the year.

Great shout that Graham. Awesome record. I was worried it'd be the standard flat reunion type fare but they proved me wrong!

21 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Mastodon: Emperor of Sand

That'a the best album they've put out in years, but sadly still a shadow of their former glory. Have you heard the new album by OHHMS - The Fool? It sounds like Mastodon should

This goes to show how off the scene I am with the latest bands etc, I have purchased nothing new that was released during this current year, I also do not recognise any of the bands/artists excluding King Crimson and U2 that have been listed on this thread so far.

Edited by steantval

I assume you mean albums made this year? I have bought quite a few good albums this year that were a bit older.

For me the albums made this year its a toss up between VIsions of a life, Wolf Alice. and To the Bone, Steven Wilson. I guess I will come down on the Wolf Alice side as I preferred Steven Wilsons last album

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

“Mount the Air” by the Unthanks. 

Awesome album! But didn't that come out a couple of years ago? I was about to add Foreverland by The Divine Comedy, but that was last year as well.

Totally different vibe to the above, but my vote would be for Strike a Match by Sacred Paws. Such perfect pop tunes, plus has the advantage that my four year old loves it as well, so I get to play it a lot. Does feel weird to vote for a band without a bass player though!!!

1 hour ago, stega said:

Awesome album! But didn't that come out a couple of years ago? I was about to add Foreverland by The Divine Comedy, but that was last year as well.

Totally different vibe to the above, but my vote would be for Strike a Match by Sacred Paws. Such perfect pop tunes, plus has the advantage that my four year old loves it as well, so I get to play it a lot. Does feel weird to vote for a band without a bass player though!!!

Yes, it did but I only heard it in summer after seeing them at a festival I was playing at. In my defence, I think the initial post was ambiguous in its wording and I wasn’t sure if it meant “favourite album released this year” or “favourite album heard this year”.

There’s a broadcast of one of their recent orchestral gigs airing on Radio 2 on Wednesday.