Why become a member? ×

Barefaced FR800 and preamp as a combo.

itsmedunc

Confused post. Sleep needed ?

Currenty using a little Ashdown combo which suits all my needs but Ive been trying to sort out a larger bass rig for a new project. Differing problems have arisen and money is always tight around Christmas. After much thought and anguish, the penny dropped! I have a pair of BF800's and although they are the PA in most scenario's, I could use one with a preamp as a combo as, if anything that loud is needed, there would be further PA support anyway.

Is anyone doing this with auccess?  If so, what preamp are you using? How do you wire it all? I've linked a BD121 via the line out and by DI but not as much volume as expected with a passive Jazz bass. I then added a tube amp simulator pedal to the chain which gave it far more. Still not as loud as I would have expected but haven't turned it up full as I'd rather be 100% sure I'm not making a schoolboy error! I really don't want to harm the BF's...

I suspect that the BD doesn't have enough output? If that's the case could anyone recommend a decent preamp Di that would suit?  Maybe someone has been using an Ampeg or Tech 21 which is the sort of sound I'm hoping for.

However, I could theoretically use the line out on the Mibass head perhaps?

But if guitarists would use in ears, I would ditch my rig completely!

Thanks...

Edited by itsmedunc

Furher, that page says alternative DSP settings can be downloaded to suit -

Usage specific optimisation

Owners can download alternate DSP presets for the above purposes or to adjust input voltage sensitivity to suit their output gear (mixers/preamps). Units can be pre-programmed with any of these DSP presets by the factory so you can get on with making music straight away!

Ah, just twigged the word 'factory'.

Edited by Tonteee

Thanks for the input. I may have solved it. Schoolboy error ? What's the odds on having 3 dodgy leads in a chain of 3 pedals? Changed all them and the level is far better using the line out. DI is much lower. Alex from BF got back rapid to my email and gave me a link for some software to turn the gains up in the cab. Hopefully, when that's done, I should be able to ditch the tube emulator and keep a simpler setup. Could probably do that anyway but can't test it yet as the Mrs is working from home and all noise must cease... Cow ?

Hopefully its all solved at no cost.  But now I've got GAS for a fly rig or an SCR Di. Ummmm...

I've got to say though that the FR800 sounds brilliant. I'm really surprised with the BD121 too. Maybe I should just get a spare BD and save quite a bit of cash?

I would love to try a pair of @alexclaber‘s FR800’s. Even on loan or review. For reference, in it’s stock mode, I’d look for a preamp that has the ability to output a line level signal. Tech 21’s offerings are good. @Tech21NYC Q/Strip would be high on my list. I was also very impressed with the Trace Elliot Transit B which would be ace. I’m not sure about the output level of the @Aguilar/Dave B. Tonehammer, I’d need to check the manual, but I was always liked  the tone of that being from the OBP pedigree. 

Then there’s a preamp I’ve been wanting to build for ages.. maybe one day I’ll have time ha ha! Or I will get someone else to make it for me!