Why become a member? ×

Original work

Si600

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Y'know, what? I love playing the bass.

Exactly.

Tonight I'm part of an evening of Rock, Blues, Reggae, Ska with a bit of World Music thrown in for good measure.

Two front men, about 80% originals and a great audience. There will be some busking, a few c*ck-ups and a lot of fun.

This is going to be good. 

No-one seems to have mentioned the "playing". For me that's what it's about. I love playing music in front of people. yes, the process of coming up with original material is very satisfying, but so is the process of rehearsing a chamber music program of music that's been around for hundreds of years. How far does that crescendo go? Should that staccato be off the string or on it? How much slower should that rall get? No-one has ever played that piece EXACTLY like that before, and then you get to show an audience the fruits of your labours. Why is it easier to get paid in a covers band? Because they draw bigger audiences. Simple as that. I don't care, I love playing music.

And FWIW, I think "Don't Stop Believing" is a great song. Of its time, granted. People want to hear it, so I love to play it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I have always preferred originals and, as a consequence of my conditioning as a fledgling player, cannot help but consider an excess of covers to be a bit 'cabaret'. I do the occasional covers gig with friends but I tend to do them for the social aspect rather than the musical and can't help but think of a life spent playing covers as a bit, well, pointless. I accept that I am in a minority but I think that time spent learning covers should be spent writing originals and that, were people to spend time learning how to compose instead of learning thousands of tunes by other people, then the quality of their composing would improve exponentially and then their originals might not be so poor. Self fulfilling prophecies and all that. I think covers bands tend to be the shortest distance between starting a band and earning money and it is that which drives the thing rather than the creative aesthetic. I completely understand why people do it but, personally, I just can't get excited about another run through of 'Ain't Nobody', 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' and 'Son of a Preacher Man'.  

Another cover band broad stroke.

Opinion & Generalization

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 23:55, Bluewine said:

I completely get reinvesting the money in an originals band playing at your level. Makes perfect sense.

For bar band guys like me every cent is going straight into my wallet.

BIue

And that makes sense too - when I was in a covers band the earnings from a years good fun gigging paid for a car, when I expected to take about 3 years to repay it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cheddatom said:

The success of people like Lozz and Ambient is truly inspiring to me. I play in original bands too and I'd love to get to that point, even if I am still working my day job. Playing covers in the pub at the weekend has absolutely no appeal to me at all - nothing against it, it's just not for me. I've left many pubs because of bands playing "classic rock covers", even if they're playing them really well, it just grates for some reason. It's all subjective isn't it :)

Playing originals to family and friends has no appeal to me at all- nothing against it, it's just not for me. I've left many bars because of bands playing marginal self indulgent originals, even if they're playing them really well, it just grates for some reason. It's all subjective isn't it ?

Another broad stroke. If I'm being unreasonable let me know. All cover bands are not the same, all originals bands aren't the same.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

My last band did originals and covers. Well, they were originals for them, for me they were just covers of unimaginative songs as I didn't write them. We would do a few covers, get the crowd going, do an original which gave them time to go to the bar,  and calm down, and then some covers again.

I wouldn't mind doing some originals if they were actually originals that were worth doing, not just some blues or singer songwriter stuff, but I think I would only do it 'as well' because it is nice to have a crowd dancing to something they know.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Opinion & Generalization

Blue

Not really. @Bilbo points are well made and rational. Originals bands don't get paid much because people don't know the songs. Covers bands do for the reason people do. 

Like many people here, I'm not going to do cover bands. Not because I think I'm above that, but because I have no interest in it, even for money. To me, the writing and performance of something original is the fun. Now, you can make a comment about me going back to my bedroom to write things nobody else cares about. Hopefully not though! ?

In truth, my disinterest in covers is so great that I wouldn't play any even if they were songs I loved by my favourite bands. Even if I was going to be paid for it. It just doesn't work for me on any creative level.

Everyone's different though.

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Not really. @Bilbo points are well made and rational. Originals bands don't get paid much because people don't know the songs. Covers bands do for the reason people do. 

Like many people here, I'm not going to do cover bands. Not because I think I'm above that, but because I have no interest in it, even for money. To me, the writing and performance of something original is the fun. Now, you can make a comment about me going back to my bedroom to write things nobody else cares about. Hopefully not though! ?

In truth, my disinterest in covers is so great that I wouldn't play any even if they were songs I loved by my favourite bands. Even if I was going to be paid for it. It just doesn't work for me on any creative level.

that's basically were i stand.

no issues with people who do love playing covers but it doesn't flick my switch as much as the writing and performance of my own/my bands own stuff.

we're all different and play for different reasons, that's ok in my book.

Edited by RockfordStone
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Playing originals to family and friends has no appeal to me at all- nothing against it, it's just not for me. I've left many bars because of bands playing marginal self indulgent originals, even if they're playing them really well, it just grates for some reason. It's all subjective isn't it ?

Another broad stroke. If I'm being unreasonable let me know. All cover bands are not the same, all originals bands aren't the same.

Blue

Yeh it is all subjective, I didn't paint any broad strokes at all! As it happens I doubt I'd have heard any of the songs your band plays before, and I'd probably enjoy watching you

I play in a couple of originals bands that pull a crowd largely made up of fans, not friends and family. It's going pretty well. I also play in a couple of self indulgent original bands that don't pull crowds. I still enjoy it!

21 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Opinion & Generalization

Blue

Opinion - yes, I never pretended it was anything else. It's a discussion and I was contributing.

Generalisation - of course. It's the nature of the beast but it is informed by 37 years of gigging, including periods spent playing covers and not enjoying it. The whole post was about ME! ;)

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Opinion - yes, I never pretended it was anything else. It's a discussion and I was contributing.

Generalisation - of course. It's the nature of the beast but it is informed by 37 years of gigging, including periods spent playing covers and not enjoying it. The whole post was about ME! ;)

No problem with that.

Blue

9 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I get where your coming from and I'm glad you stressed " for me".

I contend, for me, my band is just as creative if not more so than most local originals bands..

As a matter of fact I doubt anyone here would catagorize us as a cover band.

Blue

FB_IMG_1511539652259.jpg

My band whack originals and covers in the set. We get as good response from the originals as we do the covers.

I used to be precious about not doing covers, but after I learned a few challenging ones, I realised that they can stretch you and make you a better musician.

Unfortunately I no longer get that warm sense of superiority, I used to have, when I could say to people ' Oh......we don't do covers'. ^_^

2 hours ago, gjones said:

My band whack originals and covers in the set. We get as good response from the originals as we do the covers.

I used to be precious about not doing covers, but after I learned a few challenging ones, I realised that they can stretch you and make you a better musician.

Unfortunately I no longer get that warm sense of superiority, I used to have, when I could say to people ' Oh......we don't do covers'. ^_^

If your doing great originals or great covers you should be proud and feel superior.

However, marginal covers and marginal originals are nothing for any of us to brag about.

Blue

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

If your doing great originals or great covers you should be proud and feel superior.

However, marginal covers and marginal originals are nothing for any of us to brag about.

Blue

I don’t gig but reading all the posts I can see the appeal of both sides but one thing that seems to get repeated in lots of post is that writing originals is great/covers are pointless blah blah blah but because you wrote it you might be slightly biase on actually how good it is!?! Being completely honest with yourselves are your songs as good or if not better than the songs that have influenced you? Don’t get me wrong what you have writing might be amazing and Yes I see the talent and artistic flair needed to write your own stuff and how enjoyable and a great sense of accomplishment you can get from it but if you’ve taken the time to write your own music and if it stands up to the test of time wouldn’t it be great to hear other bands bands playing your music so that’s means that every cover once was an original so deep down aren’t they are one and the same so don’t pigeon hole yourselves into either covers or originals surely playing is playing I hope I get to the standard where I can do either or both 

Edited by Jimothey

59 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

I'd say that the the covers and originals are mediocre at best. But we go down well and keep getting booked, due to the power of our onstage charisma and our guitarist's extremely tight trousers.

1 hour ago, gjones said:

I'd say that the the covers and originals are mediocre at best. But we go down well and keep getting booked, due to the power of our onstage charisma and our guitarist's extremely tight trousers.

I'd say we do a good job with our originals and covers. However if we were 4 guys I'm sure we'd struggle.

Like your band our strength is the believable charisma and personality of our lady lead guitarist. There's just not many ladies in our area that can sing and play blistering 70s style guitar solos.

Blue

FB_IMG_1511410075912.jpg

13 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I don’t gig but reading all the posts I can see the appeal of both sides but one thing that seems to get repeated in lots of post is that writing originals is great/covers are pointless blah blah blah but because you wrote it you might be slightly biase on actually how good it is!?! Being completely honest with yourselves are your songs as good or if not better than the songs that have influenced you? Don’t get me wrong what you have writing might be amazing and Yes I see the talent and artistic flair needed to write your own stuff and how enjoyable and a great sense of accomplishment you can get from it but if you’ve taken the time to write your own music and if it stands up to the test of time wouldn’t it be great to hear other bands bands playing your music so that’s means that every cover once was an original so deep down aren’t they are one and the same so don’t pigeon hole yourselves into either covers or originals surely playing is playing I hope I get to the standard where I can do either or both 

Good points,

I think the problem with this discussion on BC is the tendency to lump all cover bands together and that there's no creativity in covers. It's just not true.

When guys say there is no creativity in covers, they should make it perfectly clear and actually speak for themselves and say;

"There's no creativity in the covers I've played and heard"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

As crazy and unbelievable as this may sound, the songs i write aren't actually as good or interesting as Stevie Wonders or Jamiroquai's or Bruno Mars etc . 

So i actually do get more enjoyment from playing covers! 

I have played originals for a while too. Guess what....enjoyed that too.

It must be something to do with the fact I enjoy playing bass in a band with my mates? 

Mental.

Why does everything have to be black or white? Cant we have a bit of grey?

I've  got nearly three  albums worth of my own stuff that will probably never be heard by live audience as I don't have a band. I enjoy playing my songs and composing new stuff. It's  three different genres of rock so would  "attract" different audience. 

30 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

As crazy and unbelievable as this may sound, the songs i write aren't actually as good or interesting as Stevie Wonders or Jamiroquai's or Bruno Mars etc . 

So i actually do get more enjoyment from playing covers! 

I have played originals for a while too. Guess what....enjoyed that too.

It must be something to do with the fact I enjoy playing bass in a band with my mates? 

Mental.

Why does everything have to be black or white? Cant we have a bit of grey?

That’s the way it should be! It’s irrelevant of who wrote the song just enjoy playing music and entertaining people or yourself in your bedroom (what ever floats your boat)

53 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

trouble with original songs is the vast majority are instantly forgettable to anyone except those who wrote and played the song, I include myself in that statement

Unfortunately I have to agree with this.

The reason I don't write songs is because I've spent pretty much all my career playing with writers I consider to be top-notch. The bar is just too high.

Instead I focus on arrangements, etc. That's my natural forte.