Why become a member? ×

Original work

Si600

Does anyone else get more excited writing their own stuff than trying covers?  We started out playing covers, and to be honest it was all getting a bit jaded, the rehearsal sessions were a nice boys night out but that was about it.  We've written two of our own songs, resurrected an old one from the guitarists previous band and now we're part way through our third song.

There is more enthusiasm than we've had for a while, there's even talk about finding a gig which was unheard of at the beginning of the year.

Once I've cleaned up the recording I'll put the new versions up in the Recording section.

Music to me has always been about creativity and art. If I have been envolvd in playing covers then I’ve always preferred rearranging them. I’ve played in bands and on cruise ships where I’ve been expected to play stuff off charts, just replicating what was played originally. I see the point in this, it’s just not for me particularly fulfilling artistically.

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

Does anyone else get more excited writing their own stuff than trying covers? 

Yes of course! Covers are a bit like copying what everyone else has to say as if it were your own words :) (Kinda)

Everything I teach, even if it be learning covers of songs is about learning self-expression, having the confidence to 'say things in your own way' and to understand how the theory behind the music works. Ultimately I suppose I am trying to teach my students how not to need me as soon as possible. Probably not the wisest business model ha ha!!

I love original stuff/ hate covers - I really can't feel anything for badly regurgitated covers I've heard a thousand times - The exception to this are covers that in no way resemble the originals:

I know I'm not alone in this - many of my other muso friends also won't consider doing covers. 

If you're going to do covers - put your own spin on it.

Edited by TheGreek

15 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I love original stuff/ hate covers - I really can't feel anything for badly regurgitated covers I've heard a thousand times - The exception to this are covers that in no way resemble the originals:

I know I'm not alone in this - many of my other muso friends also won't consider doing covers. 

If you're going to do covers - put your own spin on it.

What is the difference between a poor cover and a poor original?

I say, not much, they're both bad.

Blue

• Like 1

As a performer of original work most months , I do think that covering other people's songs can offer an opportunity to be creative . 

This might also be a good time to offer a reminder that this month in the recording forum , the challenge is not for an original , but a cover, let's be honest , all you have do is something like this xD 

been playing in original bands since 1980. Yep, made no money, played to far call people, but I enjoy it more than making a bit more money playing to a few more people, playing songs I hate. That's the choice we have to make. I'm happy with the one I made.

In the old days we used to pad out 3 sets with covers, but now it's more of a 3 original bands on a bill deal so we all play our best 45 minutes worth of OUR songs.

Yeah it'd be fun to play in front of 400 dancing chicky babes, but I'd be playing Katy Perry songs.......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

A good originals gig is the ultimate really but it's easier to get an appreciative audience playing covers especially for payment.

Some of you guys really broad stroke cover bands. We would never play Living On A Prayer or Don't Stop Believing.

Blues Rock covers, you can play anyway you like  we have fun with them. We also have 2 CDs of originals. We're able to book like a main stream cover band. 

And we don't do any Katy Perry, the closest we cone to that would be Fleetwood Mac"s "Oh Well"

Blue

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Some of you guys really broad stroke cover bands. We would never play Living On A Prayer or Don't Stop Believing.

Blues Rock covers, you can play anyway you like  we have fun with them. We also have 2 CDs of originals. We're able to book like a main stream cover band. 

And we don't do any Katy Perry, the closest we cone to that would be Fleetwood Mac"s "Oh Well"

Blue

I don't see how that's going against what I said? 

Is it not easier to play to a larger more  appreciative audience playing at "the bar band level" than trying to play originals where you live? 

It certainly is in the uk especially if you don't live near a large town or city. 

The biggest buzz for me is making up your own riffs. That feeling when you come up with a cracking bass line is just the best.

Playing for over 20 years and never been in a covers band. Never say never though, I'd like to keep gigging so if my current originals band goes belly up then I may well have a crack at covers.

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Originals can be very satisfying. So can gigging and money.

Blue

Each to their own eh, horses for courses.

I'm lucky enough to have a day job that I (mostly) enjoy and that pays the bills. I'm also lucky enough to live in a city with a great originals music scene and therefore can gig rhe amount I currently want to.