Why become a member? ×

GAK/Gibson EB 5-string/£399

NancyJohnson

I've got one arriving on Monday and if I like it enough then the first thing to go is the scratchplate. I plan on making my own so will probably change the shape to maybe something closer to an SR5 shape.

A couple of things that drew me to it apart from the price is that they're relatively light for a 5 string and are meant to balance pretty well

41 minutes ago, vmaxblues said:

Any quality issues on these, heard various rumours that their QC 'aint so hot currently?

Well mine arrived early this morning and after a quick set up (I like a super-low action) it plays really nicely, sounds great and I can't see anything to pick fault with finish wise.

If I'd paid GAK's original (and already really cheap) price of £529 I'd have been thrilled with the bass I've just received.

At £399..... Well, if you like the looks and specs and you have the funds available, if say definitely grab one while you can!

Sounds good and definitely tempted!

What are your thoughts on the pups - they're humbuckers I presume, right?

Are they particularly punchy or 'normal' in terms of output  and what sort of tone would you say are they delivering in terms of comparison to other familiar brands? And does it have a purely J bass feel to it?

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds good and definitely tempted!

What are your thoughts on the pups - they're humbuckers I presume, right?

Are they particularly punchy or 'normal' in terms of output  and what sort of tone would you say are they delivering in terms of comparison to other familiar brands? And does it have a purely J bass feel to it?

Definitely pretty punchy. I'd say more t-bird than j but the big pole prices give it more top end bite and definition (although not as brittle as say a stingray)

One thing I've noticed is how nice it sounds with the tone rolled off. Normally I really don't like the muffled, woolly sound it gives on most basses but on this out stays really nice and clear - just thicker and smoother.

Not played one or seen one in the flesh but I had a look on YouTube where Robert Plants bassist was doing a review. Worth a watch. The humbuckers are coil tapped so single coil tones are available. Not in the market for another bass at the moment but, like others, I'm really tempted at this price. Absolute bargain for a full American made Gibbo with hard case.

Edited by mr zed
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Thanks, that's quite narrow for a fiver, is it comfortable to play?

Not sure whether I need it, but I'm so tempted!!! :/

Surprisingly comfortable actually.

I just sold a Sterling SUB Ray 5 because the nut width was too narrow for me and that was 45mm but this is much more comfortable in my hands. It's not all that deep front to back but that's because the back of the neck is flattened so it still feels quite chunky (in a nice way) if you wrap your thumb over the top. The flat back also means that it feels really good to anchor your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck too though.

Good shout re. that review, really clear what the bass is doing with a decent headphone.

"The ultimate bass for a weekend warrior" 

The tonal variety from this with pups in either full humbucker or single coil mode is excellent. Pups do definitely seem punchy - personally I really liked the tone he's getting at 3.04 and 4.04 to 4.14 and 4.27 onwards, Here's the clip in full:

On 07/12/2017 at 22:49, NancyJohnson said:

I know some people really like 'em.  Not me, but anyhoo, get 'em while they're hot:
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-limited-edition-five-string-eb-bass-vintage-gloss-natural/87261

Paul - actually be good to get the 'other side of the story' before we all get our credit cards out! :)

So be also good to hear the why the "not me"? 

33 minutes ago, Painy said:

Surprisingly comfortable actually.

I just sold a Sterling SUB Ray 5 because the nut width was too narrow for me and that was 45mm but this is much more comfortable in my hands. It's not all that deep front to back but that's because the back of the neck is flattened so it still feels quite chunky (in a nice way) if you wrap your thumb over the top. The flat back also means that it feels really good to anchor your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck too though.

Sorry, but one last question:

What's the B string like?

10 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Sorry, but one last question:

What's the B string like?

It's actually really good - probably one of the best I've played actually and I've been a five string player exclusively for about 18 years. Very balanced with the other strings - not flubby at all!